We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recycling along the Hana Highway ... and beyond

Haiku
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Recycling along the Hana Highway ... and beyond

As the controversy over tap water in refillables or water in plastic bottles is debated ... here is a good idea. Made even more important since the County of Maui is campaigning to reduce the amount of waste reaching its landfills BY HALF within the next decade to comply with state law.

Recycling Centers on Maui -- For those who do choose plastic water bottles, or canned sodas, beer, wine, etc.- perhaps you could keep your used stash of empties in a bag in your trunk, preferably one of the reusable grocery store bags, and look for the recycling centers.

If you are coming back from your Hana Highway trek, stop briefly at the Haiku Community Center at 2800 Hana Highway. This is just as you are coming out of the really twisty part of Hana Highway, beyond Twin Falls Bridge and the intersection of Hwy 365 [near where the Zero Mile Marker would be]. You are about to head around to the north shore area near Paia. The center is on the mountain side or to your LEFT. They have the big trailer size bins, segregated for paper, glass, plastic, etc.

Be a green and good Earth citizen, even while you are on vacation; drop your recycled items here.

Also, we believe there are recycling 'trash' bins near the bulletin boards outside of Hasegawa's General Store and maybe Hana Ranch Store in Hana, but they may fill up fast. And store employees sometimes have to separate out trash since folks don't always read the sign. Your choice - we encourage visitors to be aware and considerate; collect your recycling for later drop off.

Here is a link to find other, easy to drop off, recycling collection sites near where you may be staying on Maui ...

www.co.maui.hi.us/Facilities.aspx…

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recycling along the Hana Highway ... and beyond

I really wish there were an easier way to recycle stuff on Maui. During my trip in August, we saved up all our recyclables for the end of our trip, then drove to the Kihei recycling center to drop them off. It was the worst experience of the trip! (Not saying much, since everything else was so great) It took about 20 minutes to get our stuff sorted - of course, I had no idea of all the RULES because at home, all the recyclables just go in the same bin. But on Maui, you have to take all the lids off of everything, God forbid you try to recycle a water bottle that doesn't have a label on it (got lectured for that one), and you have to sort your non-redemption value items into huge smelly bins. One of the workers also dropped a wine bottle, which shattered and cut my ankle. I don't blame him, it's a dangerous environment, but what a huge waste of time and PITA for a grand total of... eighty-five cents.

Not. Even. A. Dollar.

For 20 minutes of my time and a teaspoon of my blood.

I would have much rather let someone else collect that 85 cents, but there's nowhere else to drop off your recyclables! And I couldn't bear to just throw it all in the trash. Gah, it's a horrible system.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,055 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recycling along the Hana Highway ... and beyond

We consider ourselves lucky, the Villas have stations for recycling (however a little devil in the back of my mind wonders if it all doesn't go in the same dumpster) and we do try! Of course now we are going to be receiving Oahu's trash! Maybe Wa visitors will consider that when they toss it! HA!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,536 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recycling along the Hana Highway ... and beyond

Pensive, I believe they have changed the law and now you can add the tops to the bottles. Bottle redemption is fairly new in Hawaii and people are just learning the most advantageous way to do things. We save our bottle and cans and then donate them to the various kids clubs etc. around the island for their fundraisers!! Mamma, you won't find my bottles in the trash you receive from us. You shouldn't have too many though, there is curb side recycling on most parts of Oahu.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recycling along the Hana Highway ... and beyond

I would love to know about nonprofit organizations that would sort recyclables for you. This was at the end of August, and I was shocked when the guy at the recycling center said that plastic bottles without labels aren't recyclable anymore - as if people are going to import large numbers of plastic bottles from the mainland to rake in the cash at the Kihei recycling center.

I would be fine with not getting the 5 cents for a labelless bottle, but it seems stupid to throw bottles without labels in the landfill.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recycling along the Hana Highway ... and beyond

Recycling or lack thereof was a huge mental hurdle for me on island. This may have changed since I was full time...

The way I was told.. Only redemption value is "recycled" the rest goes in the trash to be burned. As there are no recycling processors in the state, it used more energy to ship the recyclabls back to the mainland to be melted down and reused than just burning as trash. If they are redeemable, then I'm not sure how they're processed, but they'll take them. It was very odd for me to throw out cans or bottles.

Our school had a big container size bin that collected the recyclables.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
702 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recycling along the Hana Highway ... and beyond

The islands can do better when it comes to recycling batteries. When CVS took over Long's drug stores, their camera departments on Maui stopped taking small batteries. Now, we have to collect them and drop them off at Community Work Day in Puunene - which is a little bit off the main roads.

7. Re: Recycling along the Hana Highway ... and beyond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2010, 05:17