We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui 1st timers, should we split trip between Lahaina/Kihei?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Maui 1st timers, should we split trip between Lahaina/Kihei?

New hubby and I are going to Maui for our honeymoon in Feb/Mar '10, for 10 days. We'll have a rental car. Should we split time between Kihei area and Lahaina area? (I guess that would be W. Maui and S. Maui?).

Besides the fact that it seems like paradise, I have two reasons for coming to Maui: WHALES!! and snorkeling.

Things we like:

Being outside - our travel style is hotel room for sleep & shower, gone otherwise

Hiking/walking to explore the area

Peace and quiet (hubby has slightly more crowd tolerance than me)

*Not* dealing with traffic or looking for parking

So we're looking for clean, comfy and convenient way more than luxury and pampering. Don't mind driving to find great snorkeling and hiking, just looking to avoid congested areas. If we stay in Lahaina/Kaanapali, we would love to choose a place where we could rely on shuttles and walking to get around.

Would really appreciate any insight or advice here! Thanks so much.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui 1st timers, should we split trip between Lahaina/Kihei?

I personally would pick either south or west and stick with it. It takes less than an hour to drive between Kihei and Lahaina, and both south and west offer what you are looking for, with one exception: there are no shuttles (that I am aware of) in south Maui short of sparse public transportation.

white rock bc
Level Contributor
531 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui 1st timers, should we split trip between Lahaina/Kihei?

We have done exactly that. Stayed at the Kanappali Villas for a week, and then stayed at the Maui Kamaole for a week. Kanappali Villas offers a free shuttle to take you into Whalers Village where there are shops and restaurants. You can walk to Black Rock for snorkeling and along the sidewalk that fronts the Kanappali area. We prefer the beaches in South Maui for boogie boarding, and snorkeling. You can't go wrong in any area you choose. Everything is within driving distance.

Virginia
Level Contributor
294 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui 1st timers, should we split trip between Lahaina/Kihei?

I did a split trip this summer and really enjoyed it... but I was there 20 days. We did Haleakala and Hana while we were staying in Kihei. We did more beach time/relaxing/snorkeling while we were in Napili (I would stay in Kaanapali or Napili over Lahaina). There are a lot of great beaches/things to do on both sides of the island (more than just a day trip or two to either would allow you to see), so I enjoyed being to check out both parts of the island.

The only big disadvantage to splitting 10 days is potentially paying two cleaning fees if you are looking to stay in condos, or potentially getting a better deal if you stay all 10 days in one hotel. Of course, you'll also have one day where you need to check out of one place and move to another.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,947 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui 1st timers, should we split trip between Lahaina/Kihei?

All good comments above.

I want to make sure that you realize Lahaina is the town - and often the term "Lahaina" is used to include other resorts areas in West Maui. There are accomodations in Lahaina, but Lahaina does really have the good beaches. For that you want Ka'anapali (great snorkeling, very handy) or Napili.

Would I split my time? Yes - if you have 10 NIGHTS. It is not uncommon for hotels to offer a 5th nights free.

Things to consider: do you want a condo? hotel? what is your nightly accomodations budget? How about Wailea?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui 1st timers, should we split trip between Lahaina/Kihei?

My opinion if your only staying 10 days it wouldnt be worth losing a day on getting up and moving and then unpacking. You'll get to see both ends with your rental without any problem. Have fun either way and the ten days will go by super fast so carpe diem.

6. Re: Maui 1st timers, should we split trip between Lahaina/Kihei?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2010, 06:17