We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
fishing trip suggestions

I am assisting my cousin and family for their first trip to Maui in early January 2010. My cousin and 19 year old son want to go on a fishing trip. Any suggestions as to which company to use ect . . .? They will have a rental car to get around the island. Thanks.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,552 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing trip suggestions

Aloha,

I'd go with either Start Me Up or Finest Kind. Both go from Lahaina Harbor. Do the half day morning trip. Afternoon trips are really not worth it!!!

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing trip suggestions

I was just going to suggest NOT taking "Start Me Up". We used them a few years ago and it was pathetic. I just checked the BBB site again and they still rate an "F" the worst rating.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,552 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing trip suggestions

Aloha, Dreamin,

It does look--from the TA reviews--like there's a lot of inconsistencies in SMU's operations.........the reviews are either 1 star or 5........too much variance for my liking.

Perhaps it's a matter of which crew is on board, but that shouldn't be a concern for a guest.

To Annyka, I retract my rec for SMU--thanks, dreamin!

SW

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing trip suggestions

If you look at those 5 rating many are from people who's only contributions to TA are the SMU review. And they sound like right ups right of an ad agency. And I'm sure some are genuine purely for the fact that if by chance fish were caught it does a lot to make a boat look better. It's like going to Vegas and walking into Circus Circus. Last time I was there it was a dump and it stunk. But if I dropped a quarter in a slot and hit a $50,000 jackpot it would be my favorite place on the strip.

This was our experience with them. First off the captain didn't do a darn thing except steer the boat. And most of the time it was on autopilot because he was sound asleep up there. We went over to Lanai and went back and forth in front of Manele Bay all morning. The only boats in the area we SMU boats. We were told if the "Big ones" didn't bite we would rerig and go to were we would get into Mahi's and Wahoo and the smaller fish. We powered out drove back and forth all morning the powered back. Pretty much bold faced lied to us. We didn't go anywhere else or rerig. There were 6 of us on the boat. When it docked all of us left without leaving a tip or saying anything.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,552 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fishing trip suggestions

Oh, I know...that was part of what I meant about the reviews. It is funny though--they are still doing really well as far as write ups and catch reports in the local paper. Go figure.....again, maybe the crew issue is part of it.

But crew variance/dedication shouldn't be a guest's concern-which is why I retracted my rec. I'm glad you brought this to our-and my-attention!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fishing trip suggestions

Fishing boats..... our guys paid out the wazoo for an all day charter out of Lahaina for just the 2 of them. I had done my homework on here, looked at MANY different charter's sites, read guidebooks, you name it, I know there's NEVER a guarantee, but in 8 hrs, our guys did not catch one bloomin' thing. Not even a bite!!! Let me tell you, $1200 is an awful lot for what ended up being an 8 hr. boat ride. They did see one humpback breech as they were headed out that morning. Again, we knew there were no guarantees, but with only 2 guys on a big boat, 8 hrs., you'd THINK they'd at least get a bite!!! Don't know if we'll be brave enough to try it again or not.....

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fishing trip suggestions

I also like how one of the 5 star reports was by someone who didn't even use them. As for the catch reports I think it may be skewed some. When we went with them they had I want to say 3-5 boats and all had the name "Start Me Up". If you have the catch from that many boats all going under one name could boost the numbers.

I and my son went on this trip fully knowing we paid to "fish" not to "catch". And understood we didn't get to keep the catch except a meals worth for our family and all the other stuff. What made us mad was we were not given the trip we were promised. We did not move somewhere else, try other baits, or other techniques, nothing. Out, back and forth, then back to Lahaina. In fact half the trip back we were not fishing at all since the boat boy was re-rigging for the next group.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fishing trip suggestions

Thanks for the great information. So Findest Kind is probably their best bet? I checked out their website and it looks great. I would guess they would do a shared boat instead of a private one; especially since it's just the 2 of them that plan to go out. They are 2 avid fisherman here in the Pacific Northwest, but of course, you don't always catch anything. Ideally at least something!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,552 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fishing trip suggestions

Aloha,

Yes, I think Finest Kind is a good choice. A shared boat has its drawbacks......not as much fishing time per person, obviously. But privates are $$$$$$$$!!!!

Make sure you clearly know the boat's policies about catch-do you get some, all or none? Also, note that the fishing boats have at least 48 hours advance notice for cancellations, and trust me, they enforce it. On the same hand, Finest Kind will cancel if it's just an awful day (storm, very high swells,etc). If they cancel, you will have the option of rescheduling or taking a refund.

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fishing trip suggestions

Check out the Die Hard out of Lahaina....

I have been out with Fuzzy, the captain, several times when he was on the Reel Hooker and another boat that I cannot remember now... he now captains the Die Hard , fishes hard and leaves port EARLY (4AM), but also has the reputation of bringing in the most fish.

Those who have been out on his charters usually swear by him.....and he usually books up quickly.

Have a feeling that most "good" captains will be out for full day charters...