We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a pep talk: goin' to Maui on 11/14 w/2 toddlers!

Arizona
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need a pep talk: goin' to Maui on 11/14 w/2 toddlers!

I need a pep talk, everyone. We are headed to Maui on 11/14 w/our 3yo & 17-mo-old. I've got lots of new small toys for both kids. At the suggestion of somebody here, I'm going to wrap them up so there's a new prize every so often to last us on our long plane journey.

I think that I may have posted about this before. If I did, I apologize for the repeat. my brain is in a million places wrapping things up w/work & getting ready for our vacation. I can't say thank you enough to everybody here for all of your posts. DH & I are on a budget for our food expenses this trip. We plan on eating breakfast in the condo on most days & probably eating 1 meal out each day. Actually, it might be 1 1/2 meals out/day because, well, this Mama ain't gonna spend her whole vacation cooking!

Anyway, I've added to my list of places that we're going to try as time permits. We plan on playing things by ear & taking our cues from our kids...if you time things right & eat when they're hungry, then everybody's happy. Otherwise, toddlers can go from happy to very cranky in 2 seconds flat! ROFL

here's my list of restaurants/take-out places that we may try. Any feedback is most welcome!

CJ's Deli & Diner (for late breakfast or lunch)

Maui Farmer's Market

Fish Market Maui

Mama's Ribs & Rotisserie

Aloha Mixed Plate

L&L Hawaiian BBQ at the Cannery Mall

Honokowai Okazuya & Deli

Maui Tacos - am curious what everybody thinks of this place

Lulu's Lahaina Surf Club & Grill - in Cannery Mall

Da Kitchen - in Kahului, we're going to stop here after we arrive on 11/14.

Honolua General Store in Kapalua

We're staying at the Westin Ocean Resort Villas, so most of our selections are in the West Maui area.

1 day we plan on going to the Maui Ocean Center. Any ideas for a good place nearby there to get some grub?

1 evening, hubby & I are going to go on a date night. We're big sushi lovers and since we live in AZ, have a hard time finding good sushi back home. Was originally planning on trying Sensei, but have changed my mind and we're going to go to Koiso Sushi down in Kihei instead (and yes, I'm going to make reservations!).

When it comes to eating out, hubby & I LOVE finding places that the locals go to. For example, my fave Mexican restaurant here at home is a little hole-in-the-wall place in a nondescript strip mall. Doesn't look like much on the outside, but they make everything from scratch every day (including the tortillas- YUM).

Does anybody know where the Da Kitchen location in kihei is in relation to the Maui Ocean Center?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,635 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a pep talk: goin' to Maui on 11/14 w/2 toddlers!

Aloha,

You will have a great time!!!! It will work out fine, and I think yoiur kids will do great, because you are planning so well.

I'd add Castaway's Cafe 9at MKV) to your list. Very kid friendly, right on the ocean, and right next door to KOR (the Westin Villas).

I'd skip Maui Tacos....just me, maybe, but I don't call it Mexican food.

I wouldn't bother with going to Kihei for lunch when you're at the Ocean Center. The Center has two restaurants on property. One is very casual, the Reef Cafe. The other, the Seascape, is a little fancier but certainly family friendly. There are several other retaurants in the shopping center next to the Ocean Center.

You might want to also try Napili Kai for meals, at the Sea House. Reasonable and kid s are welcome.

Down at Whaler's Village, there's the free Whaling Museum, and a food court there in addition to the restaurants.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a pep talk: goin' to Maui on 11/14 w/2 toddlers!

I wish for YOU a vacation. Some time alone on the beach or shopping or at the spa. I wish for you a babysitter at least 2 nights of the trip, so you and your sweetie can have some time alone. I wish you sleepyhead children on your flights to and from the Mainland. I wish you deep breaths, a good map and lots of patience. Enjoy! And take pictures.

Skip Maui Tacos. As a southwesterner, you will not be happy.

Arizona
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a pep talk: goin' to Maui on 11/14 w/2 toddlers!

Thanks, BLBL!

Actually, I am going to a spa one morning w/my sister and my mom. My parents are going to babysit for us a couple of times when we're all there together. :-D

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a pep talk: goin' to Maui on 11/14 w/2 toddlers!

Maui Tacos is mmm, well, ok. I wouldn't make s special trip just for Maui Tacos. From Texas, i have an idea of what a good taco is, and Maui Tacos ain't it. Maybe if I was from New Mexico or the west coast. Anyway, I want a taco to contain enough ground beef to clog an artery. I want the cheese to be yellow and bland, and I want the tomatoes and onions to be finely chopped so they can fall off into my lap. I want a real taco sauce that leaves a red stain on my tshirt that takes at least two washings to get it out and has a significant amount of jalapenos or serrano peppers, I DON"T need a chimichurri/pesto/spinach sauce.

Arizona
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a pep talk: goin' to Maui on 11/14 w/2 toddlers!

ok, that's 2 "no" votes for Maui Tacos. I'm crossing that one off my list. We like fish tacos, but not enough to make a special trip to Maui Tacos for them. I, too, like a good hot sauce. For example, it's good & spicy when my nose is running at the end of the meal!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a pep talk: goin' to Maui on 11/14 w/2 toddlers!

In defense of Maui Tacos.......

This is not a destination, but an acceptable food option with the kiddos! they have a quesadilla kids meal that the kiddos will eat. They make perfectly acceptable tacos and burritos.

Coming from CA, I would often miss real mexican food - this was the closest I could get that was not the americanized ground beef and orange cheese version. My kids loved the quesadillas.

Have fun - when my kids were little, I would buy gogurts and uncrustables - keep bith in the freezer and bring them out when you leave home. By the time the kiddos need snacks, the fabulous vacation food will be ready for eating. OH - we actually had foods that were named vacation food because they were only allowed on vacation (captain crunch for example). It kept the boys happy about some of the changes that could have made them grumpy.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a pep talk: goin' to Maui on 11/14 w/2 toddlers!

No worries the fish taco's at the Fish Market are awesome!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
534 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a pep talk: goin' to Maui on 11/14 w/2 toddlers!

Hey rexster 314, what's with the dig about New Mexicans? :)

I say "no" to Maui Tacos also. I have this rule about restaurants.

Never-ever get spaghetti in a Chinese restaurant or a burger in a Mexican joint----or a taco in Maui.

United States
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a pep talk: goin' to Maui on 11/14 w/2 toddlers!

Don't forget to save some presents for the plane ride home. Have a GREAT trip!!!!!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a pep talk: goin' to Maui on 11/14 w/2 toddlers!

Taking toddlers can be exhausting so make sure you have nap time when you need it. Take lots of pictures of them and your parents. As a mom, its hard to get your vacation time in so have a walk on your own or with hubby every morning so you can refresh yourself.

Hey, and Maui Taco isn't too bad. It's fairly fast food and you can choose your own salsa. As hot as you want. If it is convenient and you don't feel like driving 10 miles for a fish taco, stop there.