We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving tomorrow for 8 days

Los Angeles
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving tomorrow for 8 days

3 dudes and a gal from LA lookin' to relax and snorkel during the day and party at night. Does anyone know if the rain is a problem, or if people just go about their daily life when it drizzles?

Also, we are thinking of skipping the road to hana because we hear it is over hyped. Thoughts? Makena Beach?

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
708 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving tomorrow for 8 days

Hey I'm jealous--I don't leave for another month but with this weather we've been having lately, I can't wait to get to Maui! Where in LA do you live? I'm in Seal Beach (just north of Huntington).

The rain most likely won't be a problem in Maui. Even when it does rain, it usually only lasts a few minutes and then it clears right back up. Plus, it's still warm--in the 80s. Here's a local weather website that is much more accurate than the mainland sites: www.mauiweathertoday.com

Personally, I've done the road to Hana once and that's enough for me. It depends on what you're looking for. It will take you an entire day to do if you do it right. There are tons of great waterfalls and scenic views along the way and it is definitely something you can't get here in LA.

How long are you going for and where are you staying? That may help us give you better advice.

Livermore...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving tomorrow for 8 days

Just ignore the rain; it's not enough to worry about.

Road to Hana - depends on how much time you have. It takes a day to do, but it's worth it if you have the time. I don't think it's over-hyped. It's gorgeous. It's the drive, not the destination that is worth it. You have to take your time and enjoy the scenery.

Los Angeles
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving tomorrow for 8 days

Thanks guys. I live in Hollywood and am leaving tomorrow for 8 days. Staying at the Kaanapali Shores in a 2-Bdr, 2-bath Aloha suite. I'm told they are 2K sq. feet. I reall, really want to snorkel a bunch, and since there is so much traffic in LA (and that it what we are trying to get away from) I don't want to be stuck on a road with lots of cars. That's why the Road to Hana sounds daunting. I do want to see great nature, and that is why I am going on a rainforest/waterfall hike. Thanks to you guys I will definitely ignore the rain!!!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
708 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving tomorrow for 8 days

I'm right there with you on the traffic issue. However, the road to Hana is a different type of traffic. It's more like the road up to Big Bear, except 50x more beautiful and with views of the ocean rather than the woods. It's just a very long and winding road. It's not that it is a long distance, but you have to drive fairly slowly and there are definitely other cars on the road. Maybe you can get some brochures on it and check out the local tourist TV station to see if it's something you'd be into. There are other places to go to on the island if it's just a hike and some good scenery that you're looking for.

Also, you may want to check out the zipline tour: www.skylinehawaii.com

Los Angeles
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving tomorrow for 8 days

Thanks Sealbeachgirl :)