We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Used To Stay At Renaissance Wailea ... Where Now?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Used To Stay At Renaissance Wailea ... Where Now?

I vacationed at the Renaissance Wailea for at least three of my Maui vacations ... now it's been several years, and the RW is NO LONGER! :-( A friend is going to Maui in May for the first time; I was going to recommend the Wailea Beach Marriott, right beside the old RW location, but it is so expensive compared to what it used to be (and it used to be cheaper than the RW; I believe it was an Outrigger then. We used the Entertainment Card at the RW, and got great rooms at half-off for around $200/225 at the time.) I think the cheapest rooms I found there in May were close to $300 / night. My friend has a more limited budget, and I think $150 or so a night is more her style, but I'm hoping she could use an E Card and get something reasonably nice.

Nothing will be like the RW, but any recommendations for hotel/grounds somewhere besides the Wailea strip as they are all out of her ballpark, I think. Thanks!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,416 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Used To Stay At Renaissance Wailea ... Where Now?

If they like Wailea, want a large unit in a well-amenitied project, hotel services (not condo), and don't mind being off the water, have them look at the Hotel Wailea, which used to be called the Diamond Wailea Resort.

It was developed as a very upscale Japanese vacation club, only 72 units on 14 landscaped acres with wonderful views.

See:

http://www.hotelwailea.com/

You can get the one-bedroom units for as low as $159 or so.

The units were recently "freshened", the weather is perfect, and it is a very relaxed, quiet ("exclusive") ambience.

Plus, and this is a REAL benefit, you get access to and charging privileges at the Grand Wailea, including use of their fantastic pools.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,677 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Used To Stay At Renaissance Wailea ... Where Now?

More removed from the action: Makena Resort (was the Maui Prince).

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Used To Stay At Renaissance Wailea ... Where Now?

It would be nice if you could get a sense of what the Hotel Wailea really looks like. Their website makes it hard to see what one or two of their units actually look like. You might get a better sense looking at the TA reviews that have pictures posted. A lot of the reviews look a little phony to me (I am just a skeptic) . As far as pool use at the GW. Hmmm, not sure how that works. Do you have to rent a cabana to use the pools? Its not really clear on their website.

For $150/night, i would rather have a condo near the beach or on the beach closer to Kihei or right in Kihei.

Try looking at some of the deals on Costco.com as well.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,416 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Used To Stay At Renaissance Wailea ... Where Now?

Just my opinion, but the Hotel Wailea is one of the best lodging bargains in the State right now.

If you are not familiar with the facility, you shouldn't be bad-mouthing it.

No expense was spared in its construction. At the time it was built it was the most expensive hotel in Hawaii on per room cost basis (before being overtaken by the Grand Wailea). It was built to Japanese tastes and their exacting standards.

It has been "westernized" over the years, although the spa is still in the Japanese style. Incredible views and a nicely renovated pool area.

It combines the best of a resort condo and hotel experience. And I speak out of great familiarity with the project.

Because it is in transition from the club to standard hotel use and has had changes in ownership and management, all during a down economic period, it had had to really cut rates below market levels.

I have spent hundreds of nights along the Kihei beachfront (hello Maui Sunset), and those inexpensive condos built in the 1970s and early 80s just don't compare to the in-resort location and quality of the Hotel Wailea.

Plus, the staff is wonderful. Most have been with the property since at/near its opening, and many live on-site in employee housing. It is a class joint.

But, hey, I'm just another one-post shill. And, no, I don't work with the owners.

Haven't looked at the reviews, and don't even want to get into if they are real or not given Aqua is now managing the place.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Used To Stay At Renaissance Wailea ... Where Now?

Thanks all, for your comments. The hotel doesn't HAVE to be in Wailea ... could be anywhere on Maui. I think my friend wants to be right on the water, though Hotel Wailea does sound very nice. I'm thinking Kamaole Sands 2 and 3 were in nice locations but that wouldn't be right on the water either. Maybe one of the Kaanapali hotels would be more reasonable ...

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,298 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Used To Stay At Renaissance Wailea ... Where Now?

Aloha,

I have to agree that the rate for the Hotel Wailea is an amazing, amazing bargain. Makes me want to go on a 'stay-cation'! It is a gorgeous property and very well maintained and serviced.

If your friend want 'quieter' the Kaanapali hotels are not a good choice. it is a strip, on the beachfront-but is busier and buzzier than the Hotel Wailea, or the Makena Resort.

I love the Makena Resort-but if I had a choice between it and the HW for the same price or so.....HW would win hands down.

Another option may be a condo. On the West side, there's Maui Kaanapali Villas, the Westin KOR, and Honua Kai for condo choices which have restaurants on property and yet also have the advantages of a condo. Your friend might find a unit in one of these, especially if her dates are in early May. That's normally a slow time.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Used To Stay At Renaissance Wailea ... Where Now?

My friends' dates are the last two weeks in May ... one week Oahu, one week Maui. Don't know the order yet. She isn't looking for a quiet place particularly. One reason I shy away from Hotel Wailea, besides not being right on the water, is that I read in a review that it doesn't have a pool bar and is very quiet. I think my friend would like more of a busy resort vibe ... My son stayed at Papakea and liked it, but that is not on a good beach, as I recall. Within Kaanapali Beach Resort, as in walking to Whalers Village and right onto the best beach, etc.,I thought of The Whalers, e.g., I'm sure that would be WAY expensive, huh? What about Kaanapali Beach Hotel? Is that old and tired now, or do they still have a pretty good reputation?

Thanks to all of you!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,298 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Used To Stay At Renaissance Wailea ... Where Now?

Aloha,

This helps a bunch, thanks!

First, I would rec that your friend do Maui first-then Oahu. That's the reverse of my normal opinion, but for a reason. There are some beautiful,poignant ceremonies on Oahu on and around Memorial Day--which she may enjoy and appreciate. The Missouri (slated for its grand reopening at the end of January), Pearl Harbor, Punchhbowl, etc-truly important sites if she wishes to add some history to her trip. The various events on Maui or any other neighbor island are simply not anywhere near Oahu's.

If she want busier, then by all means,

ahev her look at the Sheraton and the Hyatt on Kaanapali. The beach at the Hyatt is kind of iffy, depends on what the winter swells have left in the way of sand dumps. KBH has done a lot of renovations to its rooms, but it is a different style than the others. It is a wonderful friendly hotel, and there's still very much a feeling of family there.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Used To Stay At Renaissance Wailea ... Where Now?

I guess the answer is that the KBH is not as upscale as the old RW, Hyatt, Sheraton, etc. What about the Royal Lahaina now? Has it been renovated recently? Thanks again ...

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,298 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Used To Stay At Renaissance Wailea ... Where Now?

Aloha,

I'd skip the Royal Lahaina. Yes, they've renovated the tower rooms, but you should go to the recent reviews here and on other websites........there are some very thorough reviews which, IMO, reflect there's room for a lot more improvements.