We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I see whales on the way to Molokini?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Topic
Will I see whales on the way to Molokini?

I'll be in Maui in about a week. I have a trip to Molokini and Turtle Town planned for Dec 14 with Aloha Blue Charters (I'm using them because they offer fishing on the way, and my husband likes to fish). How likely are we to see whales on the way to Molokini and Turtle Town? Should I plan on booking a separate whale watching tour? Do the whale watching tours go somewhere specific where whales are known to be? Thanks.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I see whales on the way to Molokini?

They are here now, although most of them are not coming close in like they will later on in the season. It's very possible you'll see whales on the way. Everyday there are more reports of sightings. Just remember to bring a camera along. The weather here right now is different every two days. We had a real rainstorm come through here in Ka'anapali last night, Next two days are forecast to be pretty good, with large waves coming in late Sunday or early Monday. Keep an eye on weather.com for updates. Whale watching tours don't have anything really specific, they just go where the whales are being sighted that day; whales are known to be in the Maui waters :>)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I see whales on the way to Molokini?

It's very likely you will see whales while you are on this snorkeling trip. They love the channel between Maui and Lanai and Molokini. You might try the roadside lookout on the cliff just north of Maalaea Harbor. The harbor is a favorite of cows and their young calves. Bulls come into the harbor to 'display' for the cows -- they want to be proud papas of next year's calves.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I see whales on the way to Molokini?

Thanks for the info. I'll hold off on booking a whale watching tour for now until we've been to Molokini. One more thing... I'm also going to Oahu, but whale watching tours are generally better in Maui, right?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,975 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I see whales on the way to Molokini?

If you only want to do one boat tour, you can "kill 2 birds with one stone", so to speak. There is really no reason to do a snorkel tour and a whale watching tour on Maui. You will see whales when your are out on the water regardless. Go on your snorkel tour and if you don't see as many whales as you want, then try the whale watching tour. Don't waste your money on a whale watching tour on Oahu. Maui gets the largest concentration of whales in all the Hawaiian Islands. They go into Maalaea Bay to have their babies due to the warmth and shallowness of the waters.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I see whales on the way to Molokini?

Plan your whale watching and your snorkeling for Maui. You can snorkel right off the shores on Maui -- more coral and more fish than Oahu. Best snorkeling is off Big Island; Maui's second, then Oahu, and Kauai is fourth.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,800 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Will I see whales on the way to Molokini?

I couldn't agree any more with what "Msfuzz" said. I recall one year, I was walking south of the GW in Maui. And not that far out, a big whale breached; as I was on the walkway, saw it firsthand and didn't even need a boat. Some moments in life are so special. They're not planned; they just happen. Aloha. :)

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will I see whales on the way to Molokini?

When boats go out on whale watch tours they talk to other boats on the radios to say where they are seeing whales. They usually say the number of whales, how long they have been watching the whales and if they are active or not.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will I see whales on the way to Molokini?

We were there this past Monday and Tuesday. Did a whale watch both days and saw whales both days. We had about a dozen sightings the first trip and saw a few the second trip. As a matter of fact our boat found the entangled whale. I having been keeping a watch this week on the web to see the outcome. They said there were about 10 whales there now compared to around 1000 in February. The boat that went out the day before did not see any whales. Good luck and have a great time.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will I see whales on the way to Molokini?

The last two times were were on Maui were in February. We could watch the whales breaching from our cabana at the Maui Eldorado. We haven't seen a one this year.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Will I see whales on the way to Molokini?

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. I can't wait to see some magnificent whales!