We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Snorkeling spots for Kids

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good Snorkeling spots for Kids

We're headed out to maui end of january. We gone several times before, but this will be the first time the kids will be old enough to snorkel on their own. Any recommendations?

My wife and I were on the big island in May, and are wondering if there's a place on Maui similar to Kahaluu beach?

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Snorkeling spots for Kids

Check out Kapalua Bay if you are on the west side. Lots of fish, usually calm, and a gentle sloping beach. It can be calm when other areas are not. When there use to be a webcam there you could look at Kapalua and it was calm and nice and Napili Bay the next bay south would be rough. But it is popular and has limited parking so getting there early is best. We love it there. I don't know if you will find something similar to Kahaluu. None of the areas we've been on Maui have that much shallow and calm water. Kapalua would be the closest in my opinion but I don't think it's as big and it does get a little deeper than Kahaluu.

Others have suggested Old Airport Beach. We haven't been there yet. (This April, WOOHOO!) Always check with a dive shop and check on where the best conditions are.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,873 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Snorkeling spots for Kids

Kapalua is great mostly in the summer months. Generally the waves will be too big in the winter. There are those days that it could be as flat as glass. It will be a matter of hit or miss. Any report that says the surf is up on the north or northwest sides, you can bet Kapalua will be involved. If that happens head on down to south Maui. Maluaka is a good place for children as is Ulua.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Snorkeling spots for Kids

I just thought of Olowalu (Mile post 14) may be similar to Kahaluu. Lots of shallow water. I think the reefs may be a little more prevalent here compared to Kahaluu. Many have said it can be maze like especially at low tide. We have never been there and from what I've read it's hate it or love it place. Snorkel Maui & Lanai rates it and A in their old book. msfuzz may be able to shine some light on winter conditions there.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,873 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Snorkeling spots for Kids

Olowalu is not a place I would take children to snorkel. It is very shallow and can be awful at low tide. You need to know where the channels are in order to get to the places where it is deeper. Kids and shallow water make it rough for the coral to survive!! I love to go there, but only by boat. I just can't seem to make myself go past the shark sightings signs by shore!!!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Snorkeling spots for Kids

Blackrock at Kaanapali in front of the Sheraton would be ok. Just supervise the kids and don't get too close to the rocks.

Its a great place to see turtles.

I would avoid Olowalu, its also know for shark sitings on ocassion.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Snorkeling spots for Kids

My guidebook – Maui Trailblazer also said oluwalu was known for shark sightings - so no to that one. We stay at the WKORV on airport beach, so we're familiar with that spot, which is really good. We've also snorkelled black rock and ulua as well. The last trip there were some pretty big swells coming in at airport, sheraton, even down to ulua, (which was really good for kid boogie boarding because of that) Guess it really depends on the what mother nature decides to send our way this trip.

We'll have to give kapalua a shot, depending on swells.

California
Level Contributor
372 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Snorkeling spots for Kids

I would recommend Kapalua Bay as well. Kapalua is pictured in my photo. Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 31 December 2009, 02:51
Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Snorkeling spots for Kids

My boys learned to snorkel at Ulua Beach when they were four. It depends on where you are staying, what will make the most sense.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Snorkeling spots for Kids

If you are staying at the WKORV than you know you are are staying on one of the best snorkeling beaches...especially for newbies! Finally introduced my 11 year old grand to Honolua last year...did well but was all he could handle. Just my advise but with little ones, stick with what works and what they know for a few years.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Snorkeling spots for Kids

Yes, we found that out on our first trip to maui. We had been snorkeling right off the WKORV beach, seeing turtles everyday. Went on the Molokini snorkel trip mid week, realized we had just as good of snorkelling right out the door. (granted better visibility at molokini). Have always wanted to go to Honolua, but the conditions have been better for surfing than snorkelling the times we been there.