We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Seasons Mountain Side vs Sheraton/Marriott Deluxe Ocean

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Four Seasons Mountain Side vs Sheraton/Marriott Deluxe Ocean

We are taking an 8-night anniversary trip this summer to Maui. Reading the reviews of the hotels, the Four Seasons seems like the 5* resort that we are used to in Florida.....but we are also used to oceanfront views. Our budget allows for $6,000 for airfare, car, and hotel. This budget gets us a deluxe ocean front room at either the Marriott or Sheraton with free breakfast daily (we even thought of splitting our time with 4 days at each) or we can get a mountain side room at the Four Seasons (I've been told the mountain side room is a parking lot view). Does anyone have experience with the Four Seasons mountain side rooms? We are probably leaning towards the Marriott/Sheraton due to the views, but would love the stay at the Four Seasons. The Four Seasons partial ocean view is another $3,000 while their ocean view is another $4,000.

texas
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Seasons Mountain Side vs Sheraton/Marriott Deluxe Ocean

Ok, I can help somewhat. I've yet to stay at 4s. Our first stay will be in May, but I've SCOURED these forums for reviews on four seasons. I've been researching our Maui trip for 9 mos now. LOL. Anyway, from what I've read you could possibly end up with a parking lot view as the Mountainside rooms aren't always guaranteed. The POV @ 4s would be if you went out on your lanai and craned your neck to look left or right towards the ocean and ocean view would be where you are able to fully see the ocean but not right up on the ocean, does that make sense? I've seen every photo on here and read all of the reviews and scoured the forums for trip reports and answers to questions regarding room types at 4s. If you are determined to have a view of the ocean, I would stick to your other choices in hotels.

That being said, from what I've read there are people who don't mind the view really have the times of their lives at 4s (as long as it's not a problem with noise as some mountainside rooms can face the a/c or be near the road and this affects some travelers ability to sleep). The service level at 4s is above and beyond. We chose 4s based upon that and the fact that their amenities are included (cabanas, water activities, etc) whereas other resorts (such as the GW and Ritz) charge extra.

I hope this helps.

Malibu
Level Contributor
11,400 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Seasons Mountain Side vs Sheraton/Marriott Deluxe Ocean

We've stayed at 4S numerous times, always oceanview, but have seen the mauka side rooms too. Their views are significantly compromised compared to your other choices. I would still take the 4S, as the whole experience is head and shoulders above others. Do remember that everything at the 4S is commensurate with the room costs. Food is expensive, simple breakfasts are $40-75. You'll do fine any way you go. Have a great trip.

antioch
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Seasons Mountain Side vs Sheraton/Marriott Deluxe Ocean

i'll always sacrifice on the luxury side to get that deluxe ocean view,thats our prime reason to go to maui is the ocean,snorkeling swimming or just looking at it,its breathetaking. we consider ourselves active and the reasoning would seem you are out and about so much that the OV lanai doesn't get that much use but over the course of a week,many hours are spent on that lanai taking in all that beauty.cant be beat

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,066 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Seasons Mountain Side vs Sheraton/Marriott Deluxe Ocean

You shouldn't split your time between the Marriott and the Sheraton Maui ... as they are so close to each other and the view would/could be the same. They are on the same strip of beach. For an anniversary, I would go with the Sheraton - and their breakfast buffet ... wonderful! Actually, you can see two islands from the Sheraton: Lanai and Molokai. Very nice resort!

The cost of the Four Seasons would be a deal-breaker for me, and we far prefer Ka'anapali to Wailea anyway.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
327 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four Seasons Mountain Side vs Sheraton/Marriott Deluxe Ocean

I guess it depends on your views at home too. I live in the Prairies so having a lanai with an ocean view where I can sip coffee and just stare out at the water is magical. I would prefer that over the 4S anytime. And Sheraton is still a luxury hotel in it's own way - just a different level then the 4S.

If an ocean view isn't important or you see it a lot from home, then I would go for the luxury of 4S.

We booked deluxe ocean view at the Hyatt through AMA and are paying less then 1/2 the rack rate. That way we can still have a beautiful hotel with ocean views and spend a bit more where needed on tours, restaurants, etc.

boston
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Four Seasons Mountain Side vs Sheraton/Marriott Deluxe Ocean

Unless things have changed

4S all the way!!!

I would love to get up tomorrow morning and take my mountainside coffee to one of the ocean front cabanas to welcome the day. I would then greet the morning staff and have them set up my cabana, and leave my book and sunblock behind.

After a good morning, I might take a stroll and return to my cabana for another coffee. And then I would take an nice morning kayak paddle to turtle town.

From their I might head back to the room and freshen up and then return to my cabana for a few hours of sun and a light lunch, passing the time between looking at the verizon and soaking in their glorious pool. Before the trade winds kicked up, I would do a quick snorkle by the reef to see what fish were visiting.

When I have had my fill, I would take my towels and let the staff know, so that for the afternoon and sunset, someone could move in and make their own magic.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four Seasons Mountain Side vs Sheraton/Marriott Deluxe Ocean

thanks for everyone's thoughts.

@BLBL - to clarify, the sheraton is at kaanapali beach and the marriot is the wailea beach marriott, so we would get to stay in west and south maui and decide for ourselves which is better as there is a lot of opinions on this forum :-)

prices fell a little today. Air, convertible, deluxe ocean front with breakfast is $5,668 at the sheraton, and $5,402 w/o breakfast at the hyatt.

i'm finding that expedia vacation packages are the cheapest right now. first it was pleasantholiday.com.....i've even got two travel agent quotes.

any other thoughts would be appreciated.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,066 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four Seasons Mountain Side vs Sheraton/Marriott Deluxe Ocean

Oops ... well now you know there is a Marriott property on Ka'anapali as well.

If you decide to split your stay ... which can be great fun ... take a look at the prices again. Sometimes it is to your advantage to stay 5 nights or more.

Edited: 19 January 2010, 21:27
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,472 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four Seasons Mountain Side vs Sheraton/Marriott Deluxe Ocean

I would take a broom closet at the Four Seasons over a suite at any other hotel on the island, they just do everything right there.

I love the Sheraton, love the Ritz, love the Hyatt and Napili Kai, but when the budget works and every thing else works, it is FS all the way.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Four Seasons Mountain Side vs Sheraton/Marriott Deluxe Ocean

I vote for the Sheraton. It is wonderful! It is on a great beach, within convenient walking distance of other restaurants and shopping, and has a fun pool (with a great oceanfront pool bar).