We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Permits in Hana

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Permits in Hana

Aloha :)

I've been looking into places to spend one night in Hana. I found a place, reasonably priced for me, but then thought about the permit issue. I don't believe the place I've chosen is a B&B, I think it's just a place to sleep.

I looked for a list of properly permitted B&Bs, and found this blurb on the Department of Planning's Website:

>>>>>There are more than 16,000 units (i.e., apartments, condos, houses) that are legally eligible to operate as short-term (less than six months) rentals without requiring a Bed

& Breakfast permit or Conditional Use permit. These units are generally located in districts zoned for hotel use, but some are also located in apartment districts or are

covered by other pre-existing situations. The operation of short-term rentals in these zoning districts is consistent with current County of Maui zoning ordinances,

Community Plans, General Plan, and state law.

In addition, there are units that are permitted to operate as short-term rentals outside of these zoning districts. The County's permit database (which may not be fully

complete) includes the list below of approved Bed & Breakfast permits and Conditional Use permits from the County of Maui.>>>>>>

Like I said, I don't believe the place I"m looking at is a B&B. Is Hana one of these "districts zoned for hotel use"? There are a lot of places to stay in Hana, and none of them are listed on the Planning Department's list. I don't believe they're B&Bs, though.

Oh, the place I'm looking at is the Hale Waikoloa, Hana.

Any info appreciated.

jc

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,838 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Permits in Hana

Aloha,

No, JC, if it's not showing up on the link--then at best-very slim chance--it's in the process but not legal, or was grandfathered. The conditional use permits are for TVR's (Transient Vacation Rentals)-those that don't want to "be" a B&B. Hana is not classed as a Hotel District. The hotel districts are primarily Wailea, Kihei, and Kaanapali.

Some older places were grandfathered. Simplest thing is to ask the property owner what their permit number is, whether they have a GET number (general excise tax) and whether they pay TAT (Transient Accommodations Tax).

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
46,838 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Permits in Hana

Aloha, again, JC-

I took a look at the **one whole** review for Hale Waikoloa here on TA.....and I'd pass on the place. I don't know what price you're being quoted, but their published rate seems very high in comparison to much better known properties.

Go to either the Oceanfront Cottages, or one of the others that have many more and more recent reviews.

I knew Dan and Sandi Simoni (H. Oceanfront) years ago, when they started out-and always had wonderful reviews from guests I sent there. In reading the new reviews, it seems they have continued to do a great job. You will probably have to call them -or email them-to see about availability for one night only.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,974 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Permits in Hana

Years ago I stayed at the Bamboo Inn on Hana Bay. It was a nice rental. I especially liked the big tub on the deck overlooking Hana Bay.

It's still around, although the prices have gone up a lot. http://www.bambooinn.com/suite-naia.php

Anyone know if it is permitted?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,974 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Permits in Hana

LOL, after I posted I went and found it on reviews. Had to share this one review that said it was terrible.

Several dozen lizards (that we could see) were roaming all over the 'bungalow'

OMG, the attack of the killer lizards! Geckos in Hana, who knew?

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Permits in Hana

That is classic ! It's a wonder that people with the means to fly all the way over to Maui haven't got the brain cells to do a little, and I mean little, research.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,974 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Permits in Hana

so true ...

well, if they never come back after their nightmare experience, I say more room for the rest of us!

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Permits in Hana

Thanks swmarket ~ I will call Oceanfront Cottages.

The thing is ~ the list on the Planning website, there are NO Hana properties on the list. So I'm thinking they mean B&Bs.

I will look farther into it. Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it :)

jc

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
46,838 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Permits in Hana

Hi JC,

There are two pending applications for B&B operations in the Hana District, but they've not been granted and neither is Hale Waikoloa.

The Simonis and some of the other older ones were grandfathered-but they aren't nec. B&Bs......the B&B new changes just came into law last year. So it's confusing, I know!!

Lombard, IL
Level Contributor
790 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Permits in Hana

We stayed at Hale Waikaloa many years ago. Long before the crackdown on the permits. We enjoyed the no charge rental of several pet geckos!

Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Permits in Hana

We are staying here https://www.hanakaimaui.com/index.html for 2 nights, it seems nice, cant give review yet as we have not stayed yet :)