We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New restaurant choices on Maui

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Topic
New restaurant choices on Maui

Four new restaurants have opened in the past two weeks. One is another Café O`Lei in the Rainbow Mall in Kihei. Café O`lei has always been a good value, but they seem to keep moving into bad locations. This particular one is supposed to be cursed for restaurants and no restaurant has been able stay open here for more than a few months. I’m not sure if they had the place blessed or not, but we’ll see what happens.

In Ma`alaea, in the location that was the Ma`alaea Grill (owned by Café O`Lei) is Ted & Adam’s The Place. Adam Condon, former exec chef at Spago and Spago’s bar manager and a top crew stolen from Spago and Roy’s Kihei. Going there tonight. I’ll let you know.

Lahaina, where the old Planet Hollywood was, the Lahaina Store, with Maui’s only rooftop dining and a huge oyster bar with “oyster from around the world.” Sounds like a next week thing.

And, in Honokowai, WM. “Metropolitan” dining, kitchen is open late Th-F-Sa to midnight and live entertainment 7 days. It looks very nice, but when we were there they had not opened yet, so, again, no real review.

Mikey O’Dwyer of Mulligan’s fame is opening a pizza joint in Wailea, but I don’t when. It was supposed to be opened weeks ago. I’ll let you all know when it happens.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
977 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New restaurant choices on Maui

thanks Kaiwahine for the info. Have you heard when or if Moose McGillicutty will still open up where KKO currently is in Kihei? I heard about this two months ago, but haven't heard anything more.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New restaurant choices on Maui

Fred's Cantina is supposed to open at the end of this month. The upstairs will be phase 2, Jan looks good, but we'll see. I expect that the construction will encounter a lot more issues. Plumbing is problem there. They are going to have put in all new dishwashing system, lots more before they can pass inspections. Not happy about the whole thing at all. Bad location. Don't need a party house in the quiet Keonekai neighboorhood. Thought they learned with Di ck's Place (TA thinks this is an obscentiy, hence my creative typo). <heavy sigh>

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New restaurant choices on Maui

Thanks Kaiwahine for new restaurant tips. Yes, I'd be interested to hear about your experience at Ted & Adam's, and the food offerings. Any word if Alan Wong ever plans to open up a place on Maui?

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New restaurant choices on Maui

OK, just back from Ma`alaea and I am very pleased. Very nice wine list, but we had beer ($4.50 for Kona draught) and premium cocktails ($7). The menu has several salad choices. I had the Crab and Avocado and Mango salad ($11) with hearts of palm and upcountry herbs. It was a delight, mixing sweet and savory. I am sure I tasted some fennel. Choke crab in the crab salad. Other items I can recommend are the BBQ chicken pizza ($9) and the corn chowder soup (maybe $6.50?). Entrees are creative and included a misoyaki salmon ($2?) (my selection) and a beef wellington meatloaf (again $20-somethnig) that fascinated Kaikane. I also heard the smoked breast of duck and the swordfish were winners. The presentation and creative use of incredients was as I expected from Chef Adam. We did not have desert this time--too full!

Prices are approximate, as I enjoyed the meal so much I forgot to really pay attention to the prices. They were very fair for Maui. Entrees ranged from high teens to high twenties. We saw the lunch menu and will be returning for lunch very soon. Lunch selections all seem to come with a salad and were under $20. Included sandwiches, some items from the dinner menu and salads. I want to try the seared `ahi and pohole fern Salad Nicoise. Sounds great.

Next week I'll either try out the Lahaina Store or be in Hana for a much deserved break with no cell phone, fax machines or alarm clocks.

San Jose,ca
Level Contributor
406 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New restaurant choices on Maui

Any more news on the above mentioned restaurants?

Has anyone been lately?

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New restaurant choices on Maui

moose's is open in kihei, we love it. nice ocean view too. fish tacos, yumm!

PA
Level Contributor
638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New restaurant choices on Maui

Ate at Moose's one night upstairs, then downstairs at Fred's another night. Enjoyed the food and margaritas at both! Parking can be an issue if you are there between 5:30-7 PM... but I believe you can park next door in the shopping center. We drove the first night, but walked the 2nd as we were close.

Joe's over the Tennis Courts in Wailea was nice for great food, and a pretty nice sunset view... service was great at first but then they kinda forgot about us after we got our meals. Long wait for the check... Kinda pricey, but we were full! Casual attire, too.

In Honokowai, stopped by the deli... food was ok to good depending on what we got & more pricey than anticipated, but cashier cranky and rude when she got my order wrong. Took 25 minutes between order before mine and my own... was told call-in orders got priority at lunch time, and that we "could go to McDonald's if we wanted ' fast ' food". We almost did. :-\

Leilani's was a good meal with nice service in the Whaler's Village shops. Hula Pie for dessert! We made reservations earlier in the day to avoid any potential long wait.

england
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New restaurant choices on Maui

I got back from Maui last week and i have to say the best restaurant on maui must be the Tiki Terrace at the Kaanapali beach hotel! Absolutley delicious and you get the hula show and hawaiin music playing in the back round! Just perfect, belive me!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
148 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New restaurant choices on Maui

Had dinner at the new Café O`Lei in Kihei as well as the Lahaina Store Grill a couple of weeks ago (at different times of course) Some thoughts:

Café O`Lei: Don’t be fooled by the strip-mall location, the interior is nice with with simple décor and a focus on food and efficient service, almost business-like but a bit warmer (not literally though, the AC was cranked up full blast) Semi-private "curtained" booths are a plus, we didn’t get one because we just walked in without a reservation but got a table within minutes and were seated promptly. Individual tables were a bit close together, waitstaff had to squeeze perilously between some of the tables.

I really wanted to go back to the Café O`Lei after a couple of days and really regret not going back since I wanted to sample some of the other dishes. I had the Togarashi/Sesame seared Ahi and it was probably the most standout dish I had the entire time (my 8th visit and have eaten multiple times at just about all the restaurants on the island) Also tried the shrimp/papaya salad although the greens that came with my entrée were delicious too. Presentation is awesome with creative displays and plate settings, service was quick and friendly. Went from drinks to starters and entrees (no room for dessert) and would highly recommend dinner here. No view, but prices were really low, I think it was the cheapest dinner we had the whole time.

Lahaina Store Grille: Walked around the waterfront around 5PM and saw the menu on display on the street and was told that the rooftop deck opens at 5:30 every evening for dinner. Was even handed a "free dessert" card in case we came back. Wandered around and eventually came back was able to snag a corner table about 45 minutes before sunset (no reservation) They have a faux waterfall/fountain which runs the length of the wall on the street side, the sound was pleasant as well as efficient at drowning out the traffic noise from below.

We were lucky to get an unobstructed corner view of the sunset although the center of the deck is raised so that diners there also get good views. Had drinks and some starters but nothing really stood out. On to the entrees, had the Linguini Scampi, sampled the Sea Scallops with risotto/basil lobster sauce (risotto was way undercooked) Can’t even recall what dessert was since it was so underwhelming (carrot cake I think) at least it was free. The service was top notch and the views were incredible --except for the power lines which run at eye level to the top of the building. No complaints, I would eat here again or go for drinks just because it feels like an oasis in the middle of the Front Street tourist traps. The food just did not really impress me that much, good excuse to go back and try some other items though.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New restaurant choices on Maui

Kaiwahine:

Great post> Thanks for this & please update regularly!!

Also always appreciate your posts on good ol' reliables... been going to Maui since 1975 and am always looking for new places to discover and old haunts to enjoy!!

In your opinion who has the best:

Pizza:

Burgers:

Local flavor:

Entertainment.

Where is the "best kept local secret" restaurant

or biggest surprise (hidden spot?)