We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worth a thousand words....

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Topic
worth a thousand words....

Just got back from another trip "home" to our beloved Maui. While recovering from our red-eye flight, I thought for now, I'd post some random pictures. Link below....

picasaweb.google.com/CarenTvs/OahuMaui210…

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: worth a thousand words....

Thank you for the great pictures-makes me so nostalgic-we just got back a week ago.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: worth a thousand words....

AAhhh! Just the "foto fix" I needed until I head to Maui in May.

texas
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: worth a thousand words....

right there with you, Barbara. 2 mos!

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: worth a thousand words....

great pics - i have a small digital camera that does not take pictures near this good - i understand the bigger more professional camers do the trick - are there any small cameras that take professional pics that you recommend?

texas
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: worth a thousand words....

I am interested in which camera you are shooting with, ctvs?

mandynoel728, MOST of the time it's really not the camera but the photographer. You can take great pics w/a point and shoot, you just need to know a little about the camera and photography. Megapixels aren't important unless you plan on blowing the picture up to poster size or larger. The best point and shoot I ever owned was a 6MP Canon. I really miss that camera. *sigh*

Anyway, if you are looking for a low end DSLR, look at the Canon Rebel XS. For a little bit more money, check out the Canon T1i or the Nikon d5000. The d5000 has a better GUI for beginners but it really just depends on you. I suggest going to the store and picking up and shooting with the cameras and then choosing the one that feels best in your hands.

Canon does have a p&s that has more bells and whistles on it than their regular powershots. Look at the G11 or the G10. I am unfamiliar with the G11 as it's new but my brother was just looking into it and he liked it.

It really depends on your budget and what you want the camera to be able to do.

Sorry for blathering. I've had a long and sorted past with canon p&s over the past few years and have spent countless hours researching. LOL.

Paoli, Indiana
Level Contributor
111 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: worth a thousand words....

Your pics are absolutely gorgeous! We are leaving in 3 weeks on our third trip to Maui. I am always in awe of just how beautiful the islands are.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: worth a thousand words....

I loved seeing your pictures!! We've been back in cold Minnesota for 3 weeks now and watch pricing everyday for when we can go back beautiful Hawaii!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: worth a thousand words....

Thanks for the compliments on the photos! I'm glad they are bringing back many good memories for everyone :)

PiratesSayArrr - what a coincidence! Your wife must b awesome, lol :)

shantybob - yes, resident evacuees were taking it in stride and are very well prepared w/lawn chairs, blankets, radios, provisions etc. Most businesses stayed closed for the day after the all clear, and then parties started, lol! There's nothing like the smell of Hawaiian BBQ wafting from every corner...yum.

mandynoel728 & txtravelinmom - I've always used a point and shoot. This was my first venture out with my new DSLR. As a newbie, I opted for an entry level DLSR camera. I got a good deal on a Nikon D3000 bundle at Costco.

texas
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: worth a thousand words....

no way! that's a 3000???? PHENOMENAL! love it!!! you have a natural talent!

btw, dh got me the T1i for christmas and now i'm jealous it wasn't the 5000 after seeing your pics! I will be taking it to Maui in May. I only HOPE to get shots as good as yours! thanks again!

Edited: 01 March 2010, 17:09
Victoria-British...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: worth a thousand words....

Wow.Great pics.What was that favourite dish from those pics?Looks pretty tasty!That was at Mama's?Have to go there.