We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera experts please help with selection!

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Camera experts please help with selection!

I've done some searches on the forum, and in general, read some articles and reviews and talked to people at camera stores. But I am still lost as to what kind of camera to buy!!!! Please help with your suggestions.

1) I currently own a Canon Powershot A540. I love this camera. I often only use Auto and my pics come out fantastic. But alas, after many, many holidays it needs to retire. What I love about it is the quality of the pictures, the battery life, the size and the ease of use.

2) I am looking to stay in the Powershot line as it works for me. But there are so many. There is the A line (what I currently have), the SX, the SD, the G etc. There is one that is called the A1100 or A200 yet they are so inexpensive compared to what I paid for mine a few years ago so i wonder if the quality of the pics would be less?

When I go to a camera store they just tend to steer me towards whatever models they have. Every store steers me towards something different.

I know I want the same size, maybe more zoom, a few more megapixels, and $400 max. I download my pics to iphoto and make the hardcopy iphoto books on my Apple. I do some minor editing in Picassa or Iphoto.

Can anyone help me with a Powershot selection? Thank you!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camera experts please help with selection!

Ok here are my opinions

1) The A line is Canon's budget line. The SD is your standard point and shoot camera but generally has better capabilities than the A line...perhaps more megapixels, zoom, pixel density etc. The SX and G lines through some manual controls into the mix. The SX tend to be compact but offer your shutter and aperture priority which the SD doesn't. The G will give you the most control over your photos but it doesn't sound like it is something you want or need.

2) I personally have a SD630 and my wife has a SD1200. I use my SD630 for underwater photos. I also bring a point and shoot with me in addition to my other camera gear.

Canon just released 4 new point and shoot cameras in february. I think that this one will suit your needs quite well:

amazon.com/dp/…

texas
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camera experts please help with selection!

omg I LOVE the sd630. *tear* that was canon's BEST p&s if you ask me. Mine died and I have gone through 2 more canons with none even come close to taking the pics that it took.

that being said. I have the sd1200 now and it's just ok. I loved the sd630 b/c it had a 3" lcd screen and i never had blurry pics. I have problems w/ the 1200 b/c for some reason canon thinks you need 12 mp when you don't. I always set them to a lower mp (6 or 8).

I would go w/ an SD. I like rechargeable batteries. (the A line take disposable)

the 1200 is the bottom of the p&s but with SOME manual control but not as much as the higher end SD models.

I will be taking the SD1200 and the Canon Rebel T1i to Maui in May. I like the compact style of the 1200 compared to other SD models but like I said, I'm not a huge fan of all of the pictures that it takes. I think there are newer versions of this out, SD1300 and SD1400. I haven't done a lot of research on them. If you are a novice and want to only shoot in automatic, then I would go w/ one of these as they have preset functions even in "program" mode, i.e. "nighttime," "portrait," "kids and pets... etc.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camera experts please help with selection!

I currently have a Canon Rebel T1i as a dSLR and an Olympus 1080 SW as my point and shoot. The thing I like about the Olympus for vacations is that it is shock, water, cold proof. Great for ocean, pool, skiing, hiking, etc.

For a great website regarding camera reviews and to get a good idea about your choices (i.e. the powershot line) go to:

dpreview.com

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camera experts please help with selection!

I'm a big fan of Canon cameras. Last year I picked up the SD960 before my trip to Maui and it was a great travel camera. It's small enough to always have in your pocket, has a 4x zoom and goes very wide (the equivolent of a 28mm lens on a 35mm film camera). It was great for scenic shots. I also bought the underwater housing and had a blast snorkeling. It's 12 MP and takes decent HD video. And, like most p&s cameras, it has "anti-shake" to help avoid blurred photos. It's well within your price range.

Canon has a new model, the SD980 that seems to have even better features (5x zoom, even wider wide angle, touch screen). Reviews look good.

If you go snorkeling or diving, consider the Canon underwater housings. The cost a bit ($100-$150), but they are watertight to over 100 feet and they give you full control of all camera features. I had an absolute blast with mine this past summer.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camera experts please help with selection!

We had a Canon A550 for years and LOVED everything about it, but unfortunately my wife and son had a little miscue and dropped it on asphalt, damaging the lense :~( So for an early Christmas present, and being a firm believer in all things Canon, I bought an SD1200.

So far, so good! We love the size (very small) and the photo quality. Like the previous poster, I dropped the resolution as I rarely, if ever, blow photos up past 4x6. The jury is still out on whether the rechargabe battery is a good option as the batteries are quite expensive and you really need two. The only real drawback is the viewing screen is a bit small, but then again, so is the camera.

Ironically, my wife also bought me a camera for Christmas. It's a Fugifilm A235 12.2mp. While it's a bit larger than the SD1200, truthfully it takes just as good of pictures, is easy to operate, has a 3" view screen and cost about half of what the Canon did. Might be something to consider!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camera experts please help with selection!

dengay, look up 3rd party batteries on ebay. I've bought them for my last two canon cameras. They have performed as well as the original (though one died early), but only cost a few dollars each. MUCH cheaper than Canon batteries. I ordered two, last time, just to be safe and I never even opened the second battery.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camera experts please help with selection!

Thank you all for the great information and suggestions. I will start with the suggested website (great by the way) and review the cameras people are suggesting. Any other suggestions are still well appreciated!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camera experts please help with selection!

I'm going to throw in another choice for consideration. The panasonic Lumix line. Picked one up before our trip to Maui to supplement the big Nikon DSLR, that I usually shoot. (but doesn't fit in my pocket very well) ;) It took some fabulous photos. I even put it in a dicapac for underwater shots. I got model DMC-ZR1.

http://flickr.com/gp/ross_mike/W05eUP

For what I paid ($200 B&H photo), I was really pleased, it was recommended by some pro shooters I work with, as well as friend who used DMC-TZ5 on a recent caribbean trip with us, and he got some great underwater shots.

http://flickr.com/gp/ross_mike/x6i5xt

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
404 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camera experts please help with selection!

Gee, I don't know if these postings are helping you to narrow your choices but .... I have to give a 5 star endorsement to the Canon Powershot D10 we bought for our Maui trip. A little chunky as it comes in underwater housing but it feels great in the hand, is easy to use underwater and takes great photos in all modes. An excellent choice!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camera experts please help with selection!

Thanx grandeau!

I've had mixed success with third party batteries in the past and also LOVE Canon products, but when/if the need arises in the future, I might give it a shot.