We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First w/e trip to Maui - staying in Makawao?

Wiesbaden, Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First w/e trip to Maui - staying in Makawao?

Hello,

We moved to Oahu a few months ago and are taking our first weekend (Sat - Tue) trip to Maui. Since lounging on the beach in not a priority for us, I was thinking of staying in Makawao and running the following itinerary:

1. Sat - arrive early, not sure for plans. Maybe Hana Highway?

2. Sun - Sunrise at Haleakala, followed by hiking. Maybe winery and exploring around Paia.

3. Mon - Lahaina area. We want to see whales, from the beach is o.k. Mon late afternoon/evening we have an obligation in Kihei

4. Tue - Not sure. Probably flying late afternoon.

We like to take the days as they come and not plan for too much. We do want to see whales from closer than we've seen them on Oahu, but not sure about a whale watching trip.

Does basing the trip from Makawao make sense? From the map it seems most central and since having lodging on/near the beach isn't important I thought it might be fun/different.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

-RG

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,081 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First w/e trip to Maui - staying in Makawao?

Makawao is easy access to Haleakala and Hana Highway, not so close to Lahaina and Kihei.

Think twice about heading for Hana with luggage in your car, assuming you'll want to get out and see things.

Whales are pretty much gone by now, but you could still get lucky.

Wiesbaden, Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First w/e trip to Maui - staying in Makawao?

Oof! Silly me. Good point about the luggage. Thanks for the reminder.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First w/e trip to Maui - staying in Makawao?

RG:

I love Makawao! Are you staying in a B&B? I've stayed at the Hale Ho'okipa and it was nice. Vacationing in the beautiful Upcountry is a whole other ball game in vacations!

Maybe your lodging will let you store your luggage so you can take that road to hana first day.

You will love it!

jc

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,920 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First w/e trip to Maui - staying in Makawao?

Whales are sitll busy..friends in Kihei watched a large pod..13 breaches at sunset Tuesday.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First w/e trip to Maui - staying in Makawao?

I love staying in Upcountry. Stayed twice at the Banyan Tree property just outside Makawao. Cottage was lovely; bad experience renting the large house. Wish there were more legal rentals in the area.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First w/e trip to Maui - staying in Makawao?

You will love staying in Makawao. One of my favorite places. Do check out the upcountry area while there. Maybe take a drive to the winery. The jacaranda trees may be blooming by now and are so beautiful.

Whales should still be plentiful around Maui. You can see them from practically any shore on Maui. The best places would be south Maui or from Kaanapali Beach.

Wiesbaden, Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First w/e trip to Maui - staying in Makawao?

Thank you. After reconsidering the details of the trip and then reconsidering it again, I'm thinking of maybe two nights near Makawao and then the third night in Kihei (so we don't have to drive back after our Monday evening obligation). Thoughts? Also, I will take recommendations for Makawao (and am also reading the TA reviews). Hala Ho'okipa sounds nice, but a little outside our price range (I'm hoping for ~$100/night).

boston
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First w/e trip to Maui - staying in Makawao?

We are headed to Maui for 3 nights. I pricelined 4star in Wailea and got Marriott for $115. You'd either get that or Makena Beach Resort which would have been my preference. but Marriott would be closer for you.

I think staying in Makawao/Paia area is a wonderful idea.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First w/e trip to Maui - staying in Makawao?

Hala Ho'okipa sounds nice, but a little outside our price range (I'm hoping for ~$100/night).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Her prices must have gone up then. I recall spending right around $100. The thing about Hale Ho'okipa is that it's an OLD house that the owner Cherie rennovated. Before it opened to the public, she invited the "original" family members to come back and see it restored. They loved it! She has old photographs, a lot of old Hawaiiana on display. But it's a house, an old house, and perfect for me! I loved staying in the neighborhood. I loved Makawao!

I've also stayed up Olinda Road at the Olinda Cottages. I don't think they're back in business yet with a proper permit. I wasn't able to re-book last time I tried because of the permit situation. It's just a whole different vacation when you're on the volcano. Barbara (previous poster) turned me on to the Upcountry and I'm hooked!

jc

Wiesbaden, Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First w/e trip to Maui - staying in Makawao?

Thanks, JC. She quoted me $125 and 5% kama'aina discount. I think we might go ahead with that, especially since the reviews are all so nice (yours included). It's that or an apt we found on VRBO.

Now that I think about it I don't think we've ever stayed in a BnB. huh.

Thanks, all!