We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helping friends plan a family trip to Maui, need suggestions

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Helping friends plan a family trip to Maui, need suggestions

Hello again!

I have been given the task to help some friends find accommodations for a week in Maui.

I am an owner at the WKORVN and have had great luck finding rentals for friends and family on Redweek, however they have given me fairly short notice this time and i'm having a tough time finding availability for the week in June they want.

I was trying to find a 1 bedroom unit with June 18th check-in but most owners were telling me they are all full for Friday check-ins. My friends have also asked their parents to come along so now they're interested in either a 1 bedroom or 2 bed lockoff unit.

Since I'm having trouble getting them a great deal at the Westin Villas I wanted to ask my TA friends for suggestions on other places to check on rentals for them. I just put a "want ad" on Redweek so i'm sure to get a lot of replies. . .if I can't get the Westin villas for their week where else should I recommend they stay?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helping friends plan a family trip to Maui, need suggestions

Hey swirlz! Did you look at the Honua Kai or Kaanapali Beach Club? both have been running some real specials.

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helping friends plan a family trip to Maui, need suggestions

i've never heard anything good about Kaanapali Beach Club. . .i'll check the other place. ..they want something very nice with full amenities.

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helping friends plan a family trip to Maui, need suggestions

Honua Kai looks perfect. . .where abouts are the specials. . or would it be better to find someone on VRBO or something?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helping friends plan a family trip to Maui, need suggestions

I know they had "deals and specials" somewhere on the site but you might do better on vrbo or even try calling them direct...I know they are no where near capacity yet.

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helping friends plan a family trip to Maui, need suggestions

okay need help again.

I found an owner at the Westin Villas with an Oceanfront unit booked for June 20th. I also had a lot of response to inquiries I made on VRBO for Honua Kai.

The Westin owner is willing to take $2700 for 1 week Oceanfront 2 bed unit.

I had some lower prices quoted to me for the Honua Kai but I don't know much about that property and I believe there is tax plus cleaning fees and parking/resort charges.

Does anyone have any personal experience with Honua Kai and how does it rate with the Westin Villas?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helping friends plan a family trip to Maui, need suggestions

2 bedroom oceanfront at the Westin for $2700?...they are not even covering their maintence fees!!! That my dear is a deal! Depressing but a great deal!

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helping friends plan a family trip to Maui, need suggestions

thats what i figured, surprised but I did speak with the owner and he seemed legit. I'm going to email my friends this thread. I'm pretty sure they're going to call him on it but were going to see if he'd take another $100 off, their airfare went up and it's not their ideal Friday check-in but I told them it's hard to beat Oceanfront at the Villas. . even if they have to change to sunday check-in :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helping friends plan a family trip to Maui, need suggestions

Keep me posted...to my knowledge Oceanfront check in is Sunday, or was, they may be changing that! If air-fare is the kicker tell them to add a few days at the Sheraton before or after! They can do the 3 nights with one free and still come out on the flight!

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Helping friends plan a family trip to Maui, need suggestions

The reason they didn't want Sunday check-in was so they could be back home by Friday and have a couple days to recoup. . .I believe they've gotten okay with Sunday and will just take a couple extra days off after they return.

I'm not 100% sure but the deal I was quoted for the other resort was $235 plus tax and $150 cleaning fee for a 2 bedroom unit. Seemed like a excellent deal as well, but I don't know the view or floor of that unit yet.

So if there was a $500 to $700 difference is the Westin still worth it?

I believe the other property also has a resort fee and not sure any other charges. Is the Westin Villas still all included? No resort charges ect?

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Helping friends plan a family trip to Maui, need suggestions

Phew! They're taking the Westin deal. I'm so excited for them and can't wait to hear about their trip.

It all came together very well and both parties said I should go into business for stuff like this. I just enjoy it as a hobby but I do admit i'm good with the negotiations and all the research and leg work putting the best deals together.

I've had ton's of people quote me good prices on both resorts so if anyone wants a good deal let me know and I can provide you with some good contacts I acquired on Redweek and VRBO. Redweek charges now but my friend is reimburssing me for the fees I paid to find the a rental.