We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to disinfect a snorkel?

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
327 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
How to disinfect a snorkel?

Hi there,

We are leaving for Maui on April 2nd. My family all has costco snorkel gear. We used it last year in Mexico and will take it again this time. When we were in Mexico last year my one son got a terrible case of herpangina. It caused horrible little cold sore type blisters in his mouth along with other symptoms. He ended up sleeping in the hotel room for two days.

My question is this. I assume after a year there is no chance of the virus still being on his snorkel. But I am a nurse and am a little crazy about the 'just in case'.

So can any experts out there tell me what a good easy way to disinfect the snorkel would be? I'm assuming a bleach solution but wonder if it will deteriorate the rubber/plastic on the snorkel. Thank you!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to disinfect a snorkel?

bleach it

boil it

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,975 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to disinfect a snorkel?

I know most snorkel rental places bleach theirs. I don't know what kind of ratio they use if any. Best bet would be to buy him a new one!! They aren't very expensive and it would guarantee you peace of mind.

Eugene, OR, USA
Level Contributor
143 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to disinfect a snorkel?

If you boil it you might ruin it. I'd use a 10:1 water/bleach solution, then let it sit out to dissipate the chlorine. Disinfect the mask as well, since it's so close to the eyes.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to disinfect a snorkel?

I agree with the bleach/water solution. ALWAYS place your chemicals into the water and not vice versa. After you have soaked it for a while, thoroughly rinsed, you might try laying it in a sunny spot to completely dry out, PLUS, sunshine is known to kill some "bugs"!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to disinfect a snorkel?

I'll second the 10:1 water/bleach solution. There shouldn't be any buggies living on the snorkel after a year unless they have some sort of food source but washing and completely drying should leave a bad environment for growth.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to disinfect a snorkel?

I have to change my answer to just buy another one.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
327 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to disinfect a snorkel?

Thank you for your replies. Sounds like the bleach/water combo wins. I will give that a try and if all else fails will just buy another.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to disinfect a snorkel?

A 10% solution of 5% sodium hypoclorite (typical household bleach) is a VERY strong mixture! Besides being a waste of product, that strong of a mixture is also caustic and can cause burns.

Here's a good guide from the CDC. Section 5.1 discusses mixing and uses.

cdc.gov/ncidod/…section5.htm

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to disinfect a snorkel?

I agree...bleach water.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to disinfect a snorkel?

dengay, thanks for the warning! a 1:100 (bleach:water) solution sounds like the right recommendation.

Just for reference, a cup of bleach in a laundry cycle is going to be somewhere between 1:160 and 1:640, depending on your washer.