We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What MUSTS to pack?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What MUSTS to pack?

Okay, we were minimalists when it comes to packing. Have traveled extensively with just "regulation" carry-on wheeled bag and expect to do the same for our one week in Maui. Since this is our first trip to Maui not certain about what to pack and what won't be necessary.

Obviously swimsuits, sandals, sweater or light jacket for early AM and PM. Appreciate advice regarding other "musts" and "don't bothers."

texas
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What MUSTS to pack?

are you going to Haleakala for sunrise or sunset? you'll need a heavy jacket as it's cold up there!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What MUSTS to pack?

probably not, but if so would fleece being worn during East to West Coast air travel suffice? BTW, we will be on Maui from 4/29 - 5/6

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,908 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What MUSTS to pack?

A hat and slippah's (flip flops) are musts. Closed toe shoes if you plan on doing any hiking. Other than that, the usual, such as shorts, tops, maybe one sundress if you are female. We usually tell people that after they pack, go back through it and take out half!! Most people over pack for their first trip to Hawaii. Most places are really casual when it comes to clothing. If you have a washer in the place you are staying, that will come in handy, and keep your packing minimal.

Fleece wouldn't keep me warm on top of Haleakala, especially while it's dark. The wind can be very strong up there also. If you are lucky the temp on top will be in the 50's when the sun shines, lower temps when it doesn't.

Edited: 31 March 2010, 18:07
texas
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What MUSTS to pack?

From the Haleakala Natl park website

www.nps.gov/hale/planyourvisit/weather.htm

Ever-changing and unpredictable

In any given day the temperatures in the park can range from a high of 80°F (27°C) in Kipahulu to a low of 30°F (-1°C) at the summit. In either area clouds and rain can quickly replace warm sunshine.

Summit Area - Mountain

and Wilderness Area - Mountain

Weather in the high-elevation areas of the park is highly unpredictable and changes often. Cool temperatures, intense solar radiation, and rapidly moving clouds are characteristic. On average, the temperature drops about 3°F for every 1,000 foot rise in elevation (or approximately 5°C for every 1,000 meter elevation rise), making the 10,023 foot (3055m) summit of Haleakala about 30°F (or 17°C) cooler than the coast. Year-round summit temperatures range between below freezing to highs of 50°-65°F (10-18°C). The outside temperatures can feel much colder because of wind chill and damp, overcast conditions.

A generalized weather forecast from NOAA is available. However, local conditions can change radically in a matter of minutes.

Lovecayman, we are going in May for sunrise and I am taking a down jacket and hat, jeans and tennis shoes. I would think a fleece would be fine if you aren't going to be up there for sunrise or after sunset. I just hate to be cold and everyone says it's windy and freezing up there!

Edited: 31 March 2010, 18:08
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What MUSTS to pack?

Please do a search on all the Hawaii forums. There are tons of posts with great information on them. Some are very current ... you could scroll down. This is a popular question.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What MUSTS to pack?

I disagree with the advice to take heavy coats and other winter gear for a few hours on Haleakala. Takes up way too much room in the suitcase, particularly if you are hoping to do the trip with just one carry-on.

Borrow a blanket from your bed if you decide to take this trip and are worried it might be too cold. I was fine at sunrise with just a long pair of pants, shirt, and light jacket. (Maybe the type of climate you have at home influences how you will fare. I am used to cool temps.)

My "must": 2 swimsuits. Nothing more icky than getting back into a soggy bathing suit.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,908 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What MUSTS to pack?

Heck, I'm originally from Colorado and I wouldn't go up there for sunrise in just a light jacket and blanket. It snows up there in the winter months!! But then, cold is why I moved to Hawaii in the first place.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,030 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What MUSTS to pack?

I agree with Barbara, how tolerant you are to the cold on Haleakea depends on what you are used to, just like the oft asked AC/no AC question. There was freezing fog when I was up there in shorts and a windbreaker. It was tolerable for a couple hours, especially crammed inside the viewing station with all the other people!

If you have room, I stongly encourage you to take a backpack. Having one really makes it easy to pack all the necessities for each day's outing and take them with you when you leave your car. Few worries about having personal items stolen when they are on your back! I usually take one as my "personal item" in addition to my carry-on.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What MUSTS to pack?

I would not lug a heavy coat to Hawaii. As Barbara suggested, just use the hotel blanket. That was fine for us,, and the hotel is used to people doing it, don't worry! Be sure to check the weather before you head out for Haleakala so you don't make the trip just to find it fogged over.

Do wear long pants and closed shoes (not sandals) on the flight to Hawaii because some of the flights can get quite chilly, and my feet froze in sandals last time!

Have a great trip, and do pack light!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What MUSTS to pack?

Don't forget your camera battery charger and any other electronic adapters that you need. 'Twas 32° the last time I was on Haleakala. The wind is what will make you feel even colder. That was at 5am though. It could warm up nicely once the sun is overhead.