We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report #2 Haleakala surprises

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report #2 Haleakala surprises

Report # 1

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k351889…

Part # 2

Can’t believe that I didn’t share details about my afternoon/night trip up to Haleakala with DH. That’s what happens when you are writing a trip report but still have jet lag brain fog.

Pheasants and Bolide.

It was a beautiful afternoon in Kihei. We had arrived the night before on a late flight.

Knowing that the moon was waxing and seeing clear skies we threw telescope and “stuff” in the car and headed up to the summit. We were both still very tired from our long travel day so the buddy plan was implemented.

I love the drive up as terrain changes and views of the harbors and towns emerge.

As we passed the Ranger station I started looking for fowl. Wasn’t too long before a beautifully colored male pheasant was spotted. A few more hairpin turns and there was a hen and rooster. Is a male pheasant a rooster? A few more miles and another male. Wow..three colorful males in one trip. That broke my personal best. I’m always looking for things to entertain me as we make the drive.

We arrived just after sunset. Sorry we missed it from the summit but got too late a start from Kihei. Started the process of setting up for viewing. It’s not long before I’m hiding from the cold and reading my book. DH is the astronomer, I’m just the tag a long. I decided to emerge from my protected shelter and see what DH was observing.

As he had his eye to the eyepiece, I was gazing up enjoying the night sky. All of a sudden I started making a strange sound..ahahahah..

This startled my DH. He is use to hearing my many words but not strange sounds. He looked up just in time to see the large bolide.

It looked like a large softball with a foot long tail. The whitish ball edged with green had an orange tail. I’m still trying to take it all in and that was 2 weeks ago. I had heard about bolides. My nephew saw one north of Little Rock, Ar while on a star gazing trip. DH saw a much brighter one at a dark sky star party in west Texas. Now it was my turn. WOW !

What a night…

I didn’t make it back up, but DH did with his buddy from Pukalani. They didn’t see another bolide but saw three deer. Rounded a curve and there they were by the side of the road, stopped the car as the deer leisurely walked across the road.. First time either of the guys had seen deer in the park.

So. As you enjoy Haleakala stay alert. You never know what interesting “things” you might see.

Google bolide to see images if the link below doesn’t work.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=bolide+meteor&rlz=1W1ACAW_enUS348&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=I1y2S9KbCNKCnQfUuIiKDQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCcQsAQwAw

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report #2 Haleakala surprises

Nice report.

Deer are everywhere done here in South Maui

Too many are getting hit by cars.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,433 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report #2 Haleakala surprises

You are such a wonderful tag-a-long!! We've encountered the axis deer on the trip to the winery a number of times! Pheasants but no Nene!?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,931 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report #2 Haleakala surprises

Way cool, barefoot, I had to look bolide up, yep, still educating myself!! Only deer I ever saw on Maui was on Makena Alanui Rd. Poor thing had just been hit by a car. A truck was making it's way to pick it up.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report #2 Haleakala surprises

Aloha BarefootnAR!!

Ooooooooh!! I checked on the bolide pix link you gave. VERY cool!! So awesome that you got to see one in person!!! :-) I agree with Mamma, you are a very sweet and patient "tag-a-long"!!!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report #2 Haleakala surprises

Yup, I had to look it up too. Cool! Silly me - I thought you were still talking about spotting fowl :-D

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report #2 Haleakala surprises

Wow! Aside from all too common *pink* sightings (LOL), you never know WHAT you'll encounter on Maui.

What DO you guys wear up there in the cold night air? Do you have the place pretty much to yourselves or are there other stargazers?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,621 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report #2 Haleakala surprises

The correct term for a male pheasant is a cock pheasant. The females are indeed hens. Aren't they beautiful birds?

I envy you the bolide.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report #2 Haleakala surprises

>>kaelberg..The correct term for a male pheasant is a cock pheasant<<thanks.

Not many pheasants in Ar. Turkeys yes, hens and jakes...and of course toms.

My 14 yr old niece just shot a huge tom this morning at our farm.

Yep the bolide was way cool.

ChiSue, I did look to see if a pink star was chasing it but no..

What do we wear..layers.

Silk long sleeve, long leg undies, long pants and zip hoodie (plane clothes) polar fleece vest, windbreaker jacket and pants. Wool socks, mittens, knit cap

And I'll still get cool after a while.

There's a Maui astronomy club on the island, I think they have a web site. Betty (hope that's right) organizes public viewing nights. In fact they were at the summit the night I was there. She is also the one that conducts View the Stars on a Pacific Whale Foundation boat.

Usually there's the Star gazing Van full of paying customers on top. Every now and then we run into another individual. You can see so much with just the naked eye. that's what I like. sitting in a beach chair staring at the sky. It takes about an hour after sunset for dark to set in. The reflectors are very well placed for the drive down at night.

DH has a buddy that lives UpCountry that is also very serious about star gazing..So they go up together.We have now left heavy clothes and telescope.stuff with him. So grateful to have less to travel with.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report #2 Haleakala surprises

I had to ask my husband if he knew what a bolide was. Nope! I bet his buddy knows - the one who is currently renting telescope time in New Mexico. What a cool and cold experience.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report #2 Haleakala surprises

Julauf..DH's friend will know. I had forgotten about him...so he's still at it ..bet he has seen a few with the clear skies he gets to view through.