We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay on Maui

Israel
10 posts
Save Topic
where to stay on Maui

We are a couple who will be 4 full days on Maui. One trip to Hana and the Pools of Oheo, one to Haleakala, with a rented car. If we stay in the Lahaina area, this adds 1 1/2 hour to each trip. We wish to stay on a beach front hotel/resort with an ocean view. Is it worth staying in Central Maui? What about Kihei? Are the beaches as nice as Kaanapali?

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay on Maui

i personally love kihei -- there are many condos with unrestricted oceanfront views and a few steps to the beach -- you did not post a $ amount per nite and knowing that would help -- are you firm on a hotel/resort or would a condo work for you??

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay on Maui

We really need to know what your nightly accomodations budget is (US dollars, please) -- and if you want a condo or resort.

<<If we stay in the Lahaina area, this adds 1-1/2 hour to each trip.>> ROUND trip, I would say maybe an hour ... one beautiful hour. The drive is not a chore! We highly recommend the Ka'anapali area.

I can't tell if you plan to rent the car for your entire trip -- but you should.

Israel
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay on Maui

We are considering paying up to $200 night. I have found deals with a car, breakfast and flights for $1500 for a room and without breakfast, of course, for a condo. About Kihei, i have been looking at the websites and see that most are "across the street" from the beach. Is the street a busy one? Noisy? We plan to rent a car the entire five days. We don't care if it is a condo or a resort as long as we can see the ocean directly.

thank you for your responses.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay on Maui

Unless you are planning to visit in winter, you'll be happy just about anywhere in West Maui or in South Maui.

If you want more 'buzz' you'll want Lahaina/Kaanapali. The beaches there are no nicer than South Maui's, but it has more shopping, restaurants, bars, etc. It's more densely built up. As you have noted, it is farther from the 'rest' of Maui. It's also connected via a 2-lane highway from Maalaea -- through the West Maui Mountains and up to Lahaina.

You asked about Kihei. One place you might like is Sugar Beach. It's one really good BEACHfront condo in North Khei and is convenient as a base. There are other OCEANfront condos in North Kihei, but they are not on good swimming and snorkeling beaches. There are good BEACHfront condos in South Kihei and Wailea. There are good oceanVIEW condos in South Kihei and Wailea too.

We bought an oceanview condo across from the Kamaole Beach Parks. From one of these you cross 20 MPH Kihei Road to the beaches. Or, you drive five or ten minutes south to one of the many other great swimming and snorkeling beaches in Wailea and Makena.

Look at this website to see aerial views and read reviews: www.wizardpub.com Their pricing is outdated; you can do better during the current recession.

In South Maui start looking at Maui Vista condos and go south through Wailea. The good beaches run south from the Kamaole Beach Parks in South Kihei through Wailea and Makena.

Israel
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay on Maui

thank you. The Maui Revealed website is fascinating. Acutally, after reading the reviews for most of the hotels/resorts i was looking at, I am now more wary of what i read.

we are going in a month (May). I assume the ocean should be good for swimming at that time.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,002 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay on Maui

The beaches in the Kihei/Wailea/Makena area are just as good if not better than those in Kaanapali. May is a wonderful time to visit Maui and most shores will be calm. Check out the Makena Beach Resort for a very nice hotel on one of Maui's best beaches.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay on Maui

I hope you have reserved your rental car for airport pickup.

May is a great time to visit Hawaii!

I agree with Msfuzz's suggestion about the Makena Resort hotel. Its location is both a plus and a minus. The beach is great, and many rooms are close to the water with wonderful views. However, it is as far south as you can stay and is alone there; you'd drive a few minutes more back north to reach restaurants, both free-standing and within the Wailea hotels. Check the map.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
744 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay on Maui

Stay in Kihei. Kamaole II is a wonderful beach & you are that much closer to RTH, Haleakala, and my personal favourites, Paia, Makawao & Kula. Kaanapali etc has much more of a "resort" feel, which I don't care for at all. Being "across the street" from the beach is no big deal - adds about a 2 min walk to the beach & shaves bucks off your accommodation costs. Altho you could stay right on the beach if you wanted to as well (just be prepared to pay accordingly...

Israel
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay on Maui

So what you are saying is that even though we would have to cross a street to get to a beach, we can still see the ocean from the lanai if we pick such a unit. Won't we hear street noises? I am very sensitive to noise, Also you mention that we can stay on the beach. Any places that you would recommend? I am now looking at VRBO and other websites. Do any resorts have large pools for lap swimming? Is it easy to swim in the ocean in Kihei?

Edited: 05 April 2010, 17:28
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay on Maui

In Kihei look at Hale Pau Hana, especially units that are farther away from Kihei Road. HPH is beachfront.

We bought at Maui Kamaole, across from the Kam III beach park. It's built up the side of a small hill, so you can be back from Kihei Road and still have a relatively close ocean view. Another possibility is Kihei Surfside, which is oceanfront, well off Kihei Road -- may have a little noise from the parking lot between this condo and Mana Kai Maui. That's another place you might look: Manai Kai Maui is right on beautiful Keawakapu beach. It houses Five Palms restaurant on the ground floor-- make sure you are not too near to the kitchens. Take a look at all of these on wizardpub.com

You can also compare condos via the webpage of vacation rental agencies. We employ CRH: www.crhmaui.com There's also Maui Condo & Home and Ali`i Resorts.