We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much $$$ do you take?

Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
How much $$$ do you take?

Ok, so we are leaving in less than 3 weeks. DH and I are debating one major item. I need some other opinions. How much CASH would you take?

Pertinent info:

We are staying for 10 days in Kihei.

Hotel, car, tickets, luau are already paid for.

Plan to put helicopter and snuba tour on credit card, already booked.

Hotel extra charges will go on card.

We will be eating out a lot (both cheap and expensive places).

No major shopping, just souveniers.

Do plan a few visits to the various state parks.

My bank charges a $3.50 charge every time you get money out of the ATM. With a max of $250 each trip. Plus whatever fees the ATM charges.

I know this is a hard question to answer but I would love your thoughts and opinions. :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,273 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much $$$ do you take?

We usually take $50 cash...remember you can get cash back at grocery ans drug stores when you use your debit card...no fees.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,234 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much $$$ do you take?

Aloha,

Almost everywhere takes plastic. The exceptions will be the Swap Meet vendors, farmer's markets, little food stands, most of the craft fairs, etc.

I'd bring somewhere around 200 in cash..maybe less. Tips for your tour guides--if you enjoyed and feel are earned-are always in cash, too.

Good point Mamma-I forget that, since I don't use debit!

Edited: 23 April 2010, 21:11
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much $$$ do you take?

I use my debit or credit card almost everywhere. But there are those small things, and tips and such that you'd just rather spend cash. Water at the ABC Store .... parking ... cookies.

For a 10-day trip, we'd take about $400 cash. We'd stick it in the hotel safe ... and dole it out as needed. Not all places that take debit cards will give you cash back ... and some limit it to $20 over.

Craft fairs, artisans ... yes, having cash is a good idea!

New York
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much $$$ do you take?

We hardly ever use CASH!

American Express DL Skymiles Credit card....I don't leave home without it!

in fact, this is how we have earned free flights to Hawaii twice already in past 3 yrs, and we have miles enough to start planning our third trip soon!

Of course, you need alittle spare cash, so maybe we would bring about $200 for a 2 week trip.

(We also have a Hilton honors VISA card for the places that do not accept American express..and this way we earn hotel points too!)

Costa Mesa, CA
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much $$$ do you take?

Hi pawp,

I would take around $6-800 with me. Just to be on the safe side. There may be fruit stands or "local" stands with food and/or jewelry items that you just gotta have. They will, most likely, be a better deal and not take plastic.

Parking meters and parking lot fees.

Don't forget to factor in unexpected cash expenses. (If I knew what they'd be, I'd list them!)

Always be safe with your cash and stuff. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of storing valuables in your room's safe. Only take to the beach what you'll need. Leave your beach stuff with someone you trust before heading into da ocean.

Make sure to leave your credit card info with someone at home you can call immediately for replacement info should the icky happen.

I know this sounds very non Maui/aloha, but you'll have a better, funner trip if you don't have to deal with a negative reality.

Lucky you...only three wks to go. Have a wonderful and safe trip.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much $$$ do you take?

Regarding Dix's comments -- we were taught in travel class to e-mail and/or scan a copy of our passport and pertinent credit cards numbers ... emergency numbers, etc. - to ourselves at home. Then, in a pinch while traveling, you can go into your home email and access the information.

California
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much $$$ do you take?

I'm another one that takes $600. to $800. in larger bills but use my credit card to make all my purchases for the rewards credit. I just redeposit my cash when I get home.

One bit of advise, although credit cards can be replaced while on vacation, have yourself and your husband carry a different brand credit card in case your wallet/purse gets lost or stolen. It's a royal pain to cancel ALL your cards while on vacation plus it takes a day or two to get new cards and a whole lot of telephone time.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much $$$ do you take?

I can think of only one place I go to in Maui that requires cash, and thats okazuya deli. Everywhere else takes plastic, even all the places at the airport. Further the merchants are very responsible in Mau and Ive never heard of one instance that someone copied a mag strip for fraud.

If you have a safe at your place bring $500, that way you can take a $20 to the beach with you for eats. If you dont have a safe, $200-300 should be ok.

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much $$$ do you take?

DW and I got on the plane in Calgary with $20US each and my two boys $45 each from Grandma. On day 8 I got another $40US from an ATM in Lahaina. My Visa collects points for the next trip!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much $$$ do you take?

I was going crazy at a wonderful craft fair on Poipu a few years ago. Buying presents ... for me ... and others. And the merchants I loved only took cash. Emptied my pockets - of cash, but still had to leave a few things behind.