We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mama's again

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mama's again

Sorry, there was a recent post about the ambiance at Mama's, and how the pricey-ness is partly for that reason (sorry ,can't find the post!) Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for any other places with the "tiki" ambiance (anyone ever dine at the old Outrigger in Prince George BC? - if so you will know what I mean!) that won't break the bank - and by that I mean dinner for 2 adults & 1 keiki in the $150 range max......Mahalo everyone!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mama's again

Aloha,

My first rec would be Duke's at Honua Kai. Family friendly, good menu and very reasonable. Next would be Hula Grill, another TS restaurant. They do a good "modern Tiki" style decor and ambiance, for lack of a better description!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mama's again

Dukes has neat memorabilia, is upbeat and noisey.

Litchfield Park...
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mama's again

Take a look at the Sea House at the Napili Kai condos. Great ambiance, and they actually have a tiki lighting ceremony @ sunset(or at least they used to, it's been a few years).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mama's again

I'm a HUGE tiki fan, so I've done a fair bit of research on this topic. I haven't been there, but the South Shore Tiki Lounge in Kihei looks like a hoot! www.southshoretikilounge.com/?page_id=20 - not the fancy dinner looking type place, but definite tiki atmosphere. Perhaps some of the locals could give more information on this place on the quality of food etc?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mama's again

Ooooooooh! Sea House at Napili Kai! Great choice. Lovely ... quiet.

Also like Leilani's in Whaler's Village (indoors). Make reservations.

California
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mama's again

We ate at Hula Grill and Leilani's when we were there last year, and I'm sure we will this year too - both are great, although we liked Hula Grill the best. I also really enjoyed Kimo's in downtown Lahaina. We sat on the patio there for lunch and it was fantastic. I don't think Kimo's is necessarily so "tiki" like though.

phoenix
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mama's again

Got it in 1 ! The sea house sounds like it fits the bill perfectly, It's always one of my stops, but must admit it has been a while. I remember much of the property by the restraunt lit by tiki torches, it looks onto the ocean and beach (right outside the doors IS the beach.) They use yo do a childrens hula program 1 night a week, I don't know if that is still in place. They use to also do an early bird special.The location of this place could be the best on Maui!

Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mama's again

I recommend either Seahouse or Kimo's. Last time we were at the Seahouse, we took a lot of photos at sunset. They turned out great; in fact one photo was included in our Christmas card that year!

9. Re: Mama's again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2010, 05:15