We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just need 2 more restaurants...

Laraine8
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Just need 2 more restaurants...

Thanks to the helpful members of this board and the rest of the TA community, we have almost all of our restaurants booked for our trip (we'll be at the Westin) the end of this month. Now, I just need 2 more recommendations..

We are already going to:

Leilani's

Feast at Lele

Mala

Duke's

I'm thinking Kimo's (for sunset) and/or Plantation House - but, I trust the experts to help me out! And, we need a place that is not too expensive.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,002 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just need 2 more restaurants...

I was never impressed with Kimo's. Seemed like a Duke's wanna be to me. The Plantation House is gorgeous with views to match. Loved breakfast there but have never been for dinner.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just need 2 more restaurants...

I highly recommend you play it by ear! Part of the fun of vacation is discovering new places, or spontaneously stopping at a place that "looks good." Of course you can always cancel a reservation, but we find it easier to plan our dinner times based on what's happened the rest of the day. We are going to Kauai for two weeks and have made just one dinner plan for the whole time. Having every dinner planned would make my vacation seem more like a business trip...lol

Whatever you decide, have a fabulous time!

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just need 2 more restaurants...

We like the Hula Grill at Whaler's Village. (Same owners as Lalani's I think). You sit outside on the beach or inside. We have never eaten inside; always outside on the beach in the sand. Also, I know it is a chain restaurant, but I like Bumpa Gump's in Lahaina.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just need 2 more restaurants...

Don't overlook the Tropica right there at the Westin! I'm not a big Kimos fan either.

New Albany, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just need 2 more restaurants...

Thumbs down to Kimo's...

Plantation house is excellent!! The pineapple grill is up there too.

Sea House isn't too bad.. Our first trip there (2005) was amazing then they got a new chef for 2006-2007 which we didn't care for as much.. The last time we went in 2009, it was back to what we remembered.

David Paul Grill is a great place, as well as I'O

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just need 2 more restaurants...

My vote is for Plantation House! It is quite different from your other planned restaurants, and the views and food are wonderful!!! We had a GLORIOUS lunch there last May. The views over the golf course down across the Kapalua resort and out to the ocean are very lovely. You have wonderful views of Molokai and Lanai as well (barring any vog!).

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just need 2 more restaurants...

Kimo's, Leilani's, Hula Grill and Duke's have the same ownership group.

Slight differences in the menus, but Duke's, Leilani's and Kimo's all have Hula Pie.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just need 2 more restaurants...

For a great sunset dinner, we love Pacific'o at the very South end of Lahaina. We've never had a problem getting an outside table, even without reservations. The patio is pretty small so you never feel crowded, and rarely have to look over heads to see sunset :) The re is only sand between you and the ocean! Food is great too!

Chicago
Level Contributor
535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just need 2 more restaurants...

I wasn't a fan of Kimo's or Hula Grill. I just thought it was kind of like bar food (sandwiches, apps, etc.) with a nice setting! I REALLY loved Mala Ocean Tavern and I see that is already on your list!

California
Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just need 2 more restaurants...

Good choice with Leilani's! We will be going there multiple times this month. Kimo's is a nice place to sit outside and chill. Although, the food is hit or miss. I would just leave those openings until you actually get there. I have gone to many places unplanned for one reason or another (it smells good, or I see peoples plates with good looking food on it).