We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Maui April 26-May 2

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Maui April 26-May 2

Sorry for the length! We loved Maui so much, I wanted to share our trip experience :)

Our flight to Maui was a bit delayed, but we ended up arriving on time. A was really sweet and gave me the window seat. The views were stunning – couldn’t believe it when I saw Molokini Crater, I got chills! After getting our bags, we found Hertz rental and took its shuttle to the Hertz lot. We’d booked our car through Priceline – very cheap but then try to get you with lots of additional insurance options and the 2nd driver. We paid the $65 fee for an additional driver (for the week) in retrospect we could’ve spared ourselves that expense, A drove most of the time anyway. We made our way to Kihei – in about 20 minutes. I was shocked. Maui is not that big! For some reason, looking at the maps, I was expecting things to be farther apart. Since we were there early we decided to stop at Safeway for groceries. Beer and wine were incredibly cheap for us Canadians, and luckily our Canadian Safeway card worked down there! Made our way to our condo in Kihei – Maui Vista (rented through VRBO). Checked in without a problem, and our condo was really nice! Very nicely decorated and updated. After settling in, we drove to Lahaina for dinner (only about 30-45 min away depending on traffic). We found valet parking across the street from Bubba Gump’s, you pay what you want! Great deal. We went to Bubba Gump’s for dinner, A loves this place, I’d never been. The food and drinks were pretty good, not my fave, but good. The view however, was spectacular! They sat us right on the railing overlooking the ocean. Oh it was beautiful! We were there right as the sun was setting too, couldn’t be better timing! After dinner we walked up and down Front St, which is so quaint I loved Lahaina right from the start. Drove back to Kihei and prepared for an early morning.

Tuesday and Wednesday were the days we were completing our open water dives for certification. We went with B&B Scuba, they were really great. Really friendly, professional, felt very comfortable with the crew. The first day it was just me, A, and one other diver! Great experience for our first time out! The next day had a couple more people but still not many. The diving was phenomenal, I was blown away by the fish, the turtles, the manta rays, the coral, the reef sharks, etc etc. Definitely one of our highlights! Since we met at the Kihei boat ramp at 5:45am, we were back by about 9-9:30am. Tuesday we went to the Kihei Caffé for lunch, the banana macadamia nut French toast is to die for!!! One of my fave meals of the trip! A had the pork fried rice which he really liked. Chilled on Wailea beach that afternoon. Wednesday we wanted to celebrate being certified open water scuba divers, so we went to Mama’s Fish House for lunch. Yum!! The fish was fantastic, so was the bread and the little soups they give you beforehand. I had a coconut mint drink that was amazing. We were seated right at the front overlooking the beach, was a view! Absolutely beautiful. After an expensive (but we were expecting it) lunch, we took in the views from the beach, and then headed back to Lahaina for some shopping. We stopped for coconut macadamia nut fudge ice cream at Lappert's - so good!!

Thursday morning we went down to Ulua Beach for snorkeling, parking was very limited at 9:30am, but we lucked out. Snorkeling was good, they had a nice coral along the rocks. After diving though, it wasn’t spectacular. That evening we went back to Lahaina for our sunset sailing trip with ScotchMist. I would love to give this trip 2 thumbs up, but I can’t. It’s not their fault, A and I have never been sailing before, and didn’t realize how scary it is! Lol. The boat was tipped at a dramatic angle the whole time and we were on edge for a lot of it – if you aren’t used to sailing or want something that’s very relaxing, where you can just sit and enjoy the views, don’t do this trip. We had to keep moving, to stay on the ‘up’ side of the boat. Not relaxing. The sunset was amazing, and the champagne was good and they do offer refills quite often. Only one round of chocolates though. Oh well. We’ve now sailed, we can cross it off our list, and never do it again! :)

Friday we went scuba diving with B&B Scuba again. Started off at Pinnacle, a 110 ft dive that was amazing, and exhilarating. The next dive was off Red Hill, and was great as well, a couple turtle cleaning stations which are my favourite. We had lunch at the Kihei Caffé, where I had the coconut pineapple pancakes (great pancakes, would be better with the banana macadamia nut), A had the pork fried rice again. Spent the afternoon at Kamaole 3 beach, and then had apps and $2 mai tais during Happy Hour at the PuPu Lounge near our condo.

Saturday was rainy and overcast. We drove up north to Honolua Bay – didn’t think to bring our snorkeling gear with us though unfortunately. Definitely want to snorkel here next time, it looked great! Spent some time relaxing at D.T. Fleming Beach (okay, not very crowded which was nice), then drove to Whaler’s Village in Kaanapali. It was the Maui Onion Festival! We’d heard of it, but arrived that day completely forgetting about it. Worked out in our favour, parking was free! We had lunch at Hula Grill (yes crab mac nut won tons again, lol), then caught some music by the US Air Force Band of the Pacific – they are so good! We saw them the week before at Spam Jam in Waikiki. So impressed! We walked around after, shopping, and taking in the different onion festival booths. Great way to spend an overcast day! Had some mai tais during Happy Hour at the PuPu Lounge back in Kihei, and took home supper from Alexanders (fish and chips, good!).

Sunday was our last day :( We had an early breakfast at Kihei Caffe (banana mac nut French toast for both of us this time!) and went back to Wailea Beach. We were there very early (around 8am) so it wasn’t crowded and it was really nice. Soaked up some sun, took a last dip in the water, then went home and packed. We only had to be at the airport for about 7-8pm, so we decided to hit two sites we hadn’t seen yet: Iao Valley and Haleakala Crater (this crater is hard to do if you’re doing a lot of diving). Iao Valley was beautiful, really enjoyed walking around and the mountains were lovely. Very scenic. Afterward we made out way to the Kula Lodge, where we had a great lunch of pizza – they make it in their wood fire oven outside. Yum! It was delicious and perfect to share for two. Haleakala was a tense drive for A, very windy and at times the clouds came so low you could barely see more then a couple feet in front of you! Scary! We made it to the summit though, 10,023 ft height. Views were…less than thrilling. The clouds had completely filled the crater! We could see the mountains on Hawaii in the distance, which was very cool. But other than that? Not very scenic at all. Oh well! We made our way back down, stopped for coffees to calm those driving nerves in Pukalani, and then headed back to Kihei for one last dinner – Coconuts Fish Café – they make amazing fish burgers, fish and chips, and fish tacos! Took in the sunset on the beach, and then grudgingly made our way back to the airport to fly home.

This trip was amazing, and we cannot wait to go back. It’s snowy and cold in Calgary and I can hardly believe that just a few days ago we were in Maui. I miss it like crazy, not just the weather and the sights, but the people and the atmosphere of the island. We definitely fell in love with Maui and can’t wait to return!

Edited: 06 May 2010, 20:13
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Maui April 26-May 2

Thanks for the trip report canadiansandy, always a pleasure to hear about other's experiences!!

Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Maui April 26-May 2

Thank you so much for this report!! I fly out Wednesday. I absolutely can't wait. Glad you had a great time and congrats on the diving cert!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,978 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: Maui April 26-May 2

Aloha,

Wow! You covered a lot of ground going back and forth, Sandy! Sounds like a great trip. Bummer about the crater, but it very often clouds in by midday.........that's one reason I rec going in the morning-not necessarily sunrise, but morning, before 11 or so.

Hope you are already planning your next trip!

Pacific, Washington
Level Contributor
121 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: Maui April 26-May 2

Thanks for the great TR. Always look forward to reading those. We don't leave until...December 27th long way off !

Mount Vernon,Il
Level Contributor
739 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: Maui April 26-May 2

I enjoyed your report too! We can never get enough info about Maui. It sounds like a great time.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,283 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: Maui April 26-May 2

Hey! Not too long at all! I loved hearing your enthusiasm about Maui. Congratulations on your cetifications!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: Maui April 26-May 2

Great report ... thank you! My friend is on Maui now, and I'm going to send her to the Kihei Caffe for that banana mac-nut french toast! :-)

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: Maui April 26-May 2

Thanks for the great report, glad you had fun.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
811 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report: Maui April 26-May 2

Thanks, canadiansandy! I really enjoyed your trip report! I feel your pain re the weather in Calgary. The only thing that helped me get through it was knowing that we leave for Maui in early June (27 sleeps now). We are staying in Kihei so now I am thinking about Mac Nut French Toast for the first morning before we head to Costco. It sounds awesome. Hope you are able to make it back to Maui soon!

Cheers,

Tropiclady

Lion's Head, Canada
Level Contributor
454 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report: Maui April 26-May 2

Yes, you brought back memories of ours, too.... we were at Kula Lodge for breakfast about a month ago, and watched a guy stoke the fire in that pizza oven for about an hour. We weren't there long enough to try a pizza, have to do that NEXT time! Snow flurries here tonight, too, so the only golf for me tomorrow will be on TV. One thing about Maui (South Maui, particularly), you don't have to worry about weather forecasts too much, as the weather is generally perfect. Great trip report!