We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't try camping in Maui espcially with Aloha campers

Alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Don't try camping in Maui espcially with Aloha campers

So you want to camp in Paradise? How about spending more than your average hotel/airfare deal for a camper van that is over 22 years old with over 236,000 miles? Everything you use falls apart as you touch it...so beware of being charged for damages.

Do you want to drive the Hana Highway with screeching brakes, and smoke nauseating your passengers. as the vehicle overheats with lights flashing..with no phone contact? For real fun would you like have to hold the driver door closed while you drive a standard shift? Welcome to Aloha Rentals .

For the real kicker, welcome to Maui, where besides, thank goodness for the National Park Service, the county and state have made sure you won't be able to spend to night anywhere safely in their parks. That leaves you cruising in a a vehicle that is marginally safe/if not at all, looking for a place to sleep on the side of the road with the homeless people and the drug addicts. And yes you are paying more than the price of a comfortable hotel to listen to traffic. be afraid for your safety, and poop in port -o-potties- if you are lucky.

Aloha Camper Vans....just so you know

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't try camping in Maui espcially with Aloha campers

hey, I used to drive a VW microbus ... 20 years ago. Had to back it down a hill and pop the clutch to start it ... good times.

Seriously, could you elaborate here?

>>> thank goodness for the National Park Service, the county and state have made sure you won't be able to spend to night anywhere safely in their parks.

I see you're mad at Aloha Campers, and I get why, but did each of these agencies fail you horribly, or what? People need to know what specific campgrounds were sub par. What about tent or cabin camping?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't try camping in Maui espcially with Aloha campers

Its the law bro.....no camping at beach parks unless you are fishing over night.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't try camping in Maui espcially with Aloha campers

but there are camping permits ... there are campgrounds on Maui where it's legal to camp, County, State, and National. The permits are cheap. So I'm confused.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,575 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't try camping in Maui espcially with Aloha campers

Interesting. This was posted on TA last sumer:

"Re: Camping on Maui

Jul 01, 2009, 11:10 PM

I know this forum is old, but in case people are reading this for advice in camping in Maui. My only advise is DO NOT USE ALOHA CAMPERS!! The van was filthy, cockroach infested and NOTHING worked! "

I am guessing had the OP done a quick seach of TA perhaps the bad time could have been averted.

I am not sure but I don't think VW has made campers for some time. I had one in 1971 and it was fun but then that was a long time ago :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't try camping in Maui espcially with Aloha campers

I'm sure with due diligence and just a little bit of research most of your problems could have been avoided. Things happen to people who don't or won't take the time. Camping on Maui isn't something most visitors do, or want to do. There are plenty of places to camp, by permit, if you would have taken the time to check it out.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't try camping in Maui espcially with Aloha campers

This one looks like a "no brainer". Okay the van itself is $123/day and if you want 2 sets of bedding, it's gonna be another $25, porta potty $25. Then you need to pay the fees to use the camping facilities. You coulda rented yourself a 2-bedroom condo and had a warm place to pee in the morning. They even spelled Kanaha beach wrong on their website.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
808 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't try camping in Maui espcially with Aloha campers

It is the posters first post so they are not likely familiar with how to post questions or comments.

When I see a first post like that I often think, someone has an axe to grind and they are using this site to do it. I think the OP is confused with who to be made at, if it is even a legitimate post.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't try camping in Maui espcially with Aloha campers

Brighton Bill,

ah the old days, I was just waxing nostalgic. I know these are Westfalias which aren't as ancient as our old VW microbuses. (Vintage microbuses are still trucking, my old neighbors in Hilo have one, rusty but it runs some of the time.)

The Aloha Campers sites would have one believe all is in good condition.

I don't blame the OP. I don't think most campers check TA before going for it. After getting burned, one thinks -- how can I vent and let people know? Oh, Tripadvisor.

Good lesson though that it's worth at least doing a Google search before booking anything, even a camper van. A Google search brings up that old post from last summer.

LOL at Julauf about the warm place.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't try camping in Maui espcially with Aloha campers

It was good of the OP to post here and hopefully help others avoid the same dismal experience.

Agree that a google search beforehand may have prompted her to change her plans from camping to staying in more comfortable accommodations, but Aloha's website is very convincing (deceiving, but convincing).

I just hope she can look back on this and laugh (although that might take a few years), and chalk it up to experience. I've had situations happen during our travels due to misfortune or bad planning, and as annoying as it is at the time, it certainly makes you much wiser in future planning, thus ensuring much more enjoyable vacations!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't try camping in Maui espcially with Aloha campers

When you come to Australia, you can rent a "Maui" camper. Never saw a "Maui" camper on Maui. Do they have "Aussie" campers in Hawaii? Do chickens find rubber people funny?