We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to Hana Highway?

Cedar Park, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative to Hana Highway?

I will be staying in Kaanapali with my husband and then 18 month-old son in August. I would love to do the Hana Highway, but I'm not sure how the little guy will handle so much time in the car. I'm bummed because my favorite thing about Hawaii is the rainforests/waterfalls/lush valleys.

Is there an alternative to the Hana Highway that would be less of an all-day adventure? Maybe Iao Valley? We'd love to get out of the car and walk around as we take in the scenery, but with a toddler in tow we aren't planing on doing any serious hiking. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Hannah

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,698 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to Hana Highway?

In my mind... you are right...strapping an 18 month old in a car seat for hours in the back seat is not a fun time! Iao Valley is doable for some short hikes. I'm betting he will LOVE beach time and the tide-pools.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,630 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to Hana Highway?

Iao Valley is probably the closest thing to the Hana Hwy. that you can get with a toddler in tow!! No waterfalls though. If he does well in the car for just a little while you can start your Hana journey and stop and turn around when he gets tired or fussy. No one says you have to do the whole thing. It might be worth a try to at least make it to Twin Falls.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to Hana Highway?

I think Iao would be perfect! Lots of safe walking paths, very little driving to get there, and it's really really beautiful. Mosquitos, though, so be prepared for that!

Maybe you can drive part way on Hana Hwy. Maybe he'll fall asleep ~~~~~

jc

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative to Hana Highway?

I have been to Iao Valley many times. Never swatted at a mosquito. Not saying they are there, but have not been bothered by them. Even took out 11 yr old niece ,that is a walking mosquito bait here at home, and she wasn't bit.. Maybe we are use to having lots and lots of them in our area.

.However, with kids I would go prepared. incase they are out and about...

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative to Hana Highway?

Lucky you barefoot ~ not being mosquito bait! I was a feast and the welts gave my arms some muscle-looking-type definition. I've always been bothered by mosquitos, though. Some folks are just luckier ~

I would be prepared though for them. It's better to be prepared than not. I now have some Avon towelletes which are mosquito repellant. Easy to pack.

I tend to have problems in the more lush areas.

jc

New York
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative to Hana Highway?

I would also recommend a day trip UPCOUNTRY! You can visit the Lavender Farm, Winery, etc.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
84 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative to Hana Highway?

The north shore drive is beautiful too. You can go only as far as you want to, but can see the blowhole, etc. We have taken it all the way around to IAO Valley.

Cedar Park, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative to Hana Highway?

Thanks for all the advice! I'm off to read up about Upcountry.

Cheers,

Hannah

9. Re: Alternative to Hana Highway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2010, 04:17