We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do... Where???

Bergen County NJ
Level Contributor
129 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do... Where???

I'm planning our trip to Hawaii for this July. It's part of a 2 week trip that will include a stop in Oahu for 4 nights, Big Island/Kona for 4 nights (business) and then Maui for 4 nights.

We know we want to do a luau during this trip and we want to do a helicopter tour.

I was thinking we'd do the luau in Maui, the Old Lahaina one. Do you all agree?

What about the helicopter tour? Which island do you think would be best for this? My last choice is Big Island, just because DH and I are there for business and most of our time there will be soaked up with that. <sigh>

Also, if anyone has a recommendation as to a reputable (meaning safe, crash-free record, lol) I'm all ears.

I appreciate all the advice I've gotten on this board, that's why I come here first! Thanks!!

California
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do... Where???

Here's some reading for you.

www.kauaihelicoptertoursafety.com/faqs.html

Houston
Level Contributor
318 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do... Where???

I definitely reccommend Old Lahaina luau- hubby and I went last summer, and we have already booked for us with our 3 teenage kids for June! We really enjoyed it and are looking forward to it again.

Edited: 11 May 2010, 23:25
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do... Where???

Just a thought about the helicopter ~ I think if I had to choose ONE ISLAND for the event ~ I WOULD choose the Big Island, simply to see the volcano up close and personal ~ a presently erupting volcano. That's awesome.

Old Lahaina Luau on Maui ~ really nice. You'll enjoy it :)

jc

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,375 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do... Where???

Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu has the best Polynesian entertainment in Hawaii.

Feast at Lele & Drums of the Pacific both on Maui are good luaus.

Considering you really only have 8 nights without the business time, consider Big Island & one other island, either Oahu or Maui. Plan a return trip for Oahu or Maui & Kauai.

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Also, on the Oahu forum on the left side of the page, click on Travel Guide. Lots of articles from forum members.

Do the same on the Maui forum & the Island of Hawaii forum.

For a free Hawaii brochure & one for each of Oahu, Maui & Island of Hawaii:

1-800-GOHAWAII

or

http://gohawaii.com/visitor-guide Select a country, then Submit.

Then fill out the form.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do... Where???

That's a lot of island hopping...is Oahu business too? Would it be possible to stick to 2 islands? While not a Luau, the Feast at Lele is a wonderful evening of food and entertainment in a more intimate, romantic setting. For the Heli tour look at either the Blue Hawaiian Circle Island tour on the Big Island or the Blue Hawaiian that takes you over Maui and Molokai..yeah we like Blue Hawaiian!

Bergen County NJ
Level Contributor
129 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do... Where???

Thanks for the replies.

Mamma0233, yes we know that this is a lot of island hopping, but we're up for it. Oahu and Maui are vacation. Big Island is business, but we'll get some fun stuff in there, too. We won't get the opportunity to return to Hawaii for ten years (this business trip happens every 10 years), so we don't want to repeat the mistake we made in 2000 by only staying on Oahu. Besides, MIL and son have never been to Hawaii and we really want to make the most of this trip.

I'm definitely going to check out Blue Hawaii for the heli tour and Feast of Lele as well. Of course the other night while watching a repeat of Diners Driveins and Dives on Food Network, Guy Fieri hit Germaine's Luau on Oahu. It looked nice, how does that compare to Old Lahaina?

When we were in Hawaii in 2000, we went to a tourist trap of a luau. I don't remember the name, but it wasn't Germaine's. It was awful. The food was horrendous, it was a million miles away and the drinks were sickeningly sweet, so much so that the group seated with us over drank and were all vomiting all over the place. Awful. Definitely don't want to repeat that mess...

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do... Where???

I had planned on doing a helicopter tour on Kauai until I read that! Yikes!

Illinois
Level Contributor
385 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do... Where???

My husband is a private pilot. We were in Maui 2 years ago and rented a plane and flew around Maui and then over to the Molokai Sea Cliffs. It was absolutely breathtaking. If you decide to do your tour in Maui make sure it involves the Molokai Sea Cliffs also. You are in for a real treat no matter which Island you fly over! Have fun!

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do... Where???

Have done the Kauai Helicopter ride twice, but when I go back I plan on doing the BIg Island Heli tour. If you decide to do the Heli tour on Maui, I thought the west island and Molokai trip looked the best. I think it would be hard to beat the any of the Kauai Helicopter rides, Nothing can compare to seeing Kauai by air.

We went to the OLLuau and it was really nice. The food is really,really good. You will encounter some long lines for drinks. But, we pre Tipped our waiter and he brought us anything and everything we asked for (Even a glass of Vodka for that extra kick in the drinks). You will be handed a drink when you walk in. I would suggest when you get to your table, pre tip your waiter and order another drink or two. Then walk the property, its beautiful and the scenery is great.

10. Re: Things to do... Where???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2010, 07:16