We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you only wanted to rent a car @ the end of your trip?

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
If you only wanted to rent a car @ the end of your trip?

This will be our 3rd trip to Maui and it would be our first time renting a car for part of the trip. We have family picking us up from the airport and are fine using public transportation to take us to/from the Kaanapali area to Lahaina. Our last trip (January 2010) we really enjoyed a day trip to upcountry w/ family (in their car) and would like to do so again; therefore only renting a car for our last 2-3 days on the island. How would you go about doing this? Can you pick up a rental car at other locations other than OGG? We will be staying at the Kaanapali Beach Club. Thanks in advanced for any information you may have.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,506 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you only wanted to rent a car @ the end of your trip?

Aloha,

Anny, this is easy and you are doing something I rec for many people. You can rent from any of the majors on the West side. Just down the street from you is the gloriously named "Kaanapali Transportation Center". Read: "Collection of Car Rental Agencies", LOL!

Use the code "JHM" for rentals on the West side. Use "OGG" for the return location. They may charge you a drop fee for returning the car to OGG instead of K'pali.

They will pick you up at KBC. Their hours are somewhat more limited-open from about 8AM to 5:50Pm. Watch the rental time periods with a late flight out of OGG-you don't want to pay for an extra day when you're really only keeping the car a few hours beyond the 24 hr. clock.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you only wanted to rent a car @ the end of your trip?

Thank you swmarket. I will check in to them!!!! Sounds like a good plan for us.

Lion's Head, Canada
Level Contributor
461 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you only wanted to rent a car @ the end of your trip?

In April, we used Alamo, had their shuttle pick us up at the dock in Lahaina (we were in Lanai for a few days), and they took us to their location in Kaanapali where we got our car. We dropped the car off at OGG, and we were charged a $35 fee for this, as advised, which to us was a great way of doing it.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you only wanted to rent a car @ the end of your trip?

Kanunu: thank you for the heads up on the drop off price. I was curious about that too.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you only wanted to rent a car @ the end of your trip?

Can I book this online with like expedia, orbitz ect . . .? I just tried (on expedia) using the codes suggested, and it worked, I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. That "JHM" code is for pick-up across the street from the Kaanapali Beach Club, correct? Just want to make sure before I confirm anything. Thanks again.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you only wanted to rent a car @ the end of your trip?

bump

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you only wanted to rent a car @ the end of your trip?

The airport in West Maui was originally owned by an airline and they named it after John Higgins Magoon. So the airport letters were JHM.

Now the airport has been nicknamed?? . . . Kapalua, but is located in the

Mahinahina district of Lahaina.

Does that make sense?

I hope it helps.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,506 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you only wanted to rent a car @ the end of your trip?

Aloha,

Yep, Anny, that's the right code. But you should be able to get picked up at the hotel--it would be about a fifteen minute walk out to the highway and across to the rental offices.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you only wanted to rent a car @ the end of your trip?

GREAT!!! Thanks again!!!! Can't wait!!! 174 days.

10. Re: If you only wanted to rent a car @ the end of your trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2011, 05:15