We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

g p s

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
g p s

Do I need to bring my GPS?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: g p s

Only if you want the entertainment of listening to the thing mangle Hawaiian names! Really not needed...it's a small island and very easy to navigate.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: g p s

Not really. Most people do not.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: g p s

The enterainment value is priceless though!!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: g p s

True Den! Unless you start laughing so hard you run off the road!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: g p s

I brought mine last year and never took it out. I might have to try it this year, just to hear how it pronounces "Lower Honoapiilani Road" :)

yfunk3
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: g p s

I'm very directionally challenged except in my hometown or routes I've taken millions of times before, so I brought my Garmin GPS to Maui with me. It surprisingly didn't mangle the Hawaiian names too badly and knew to pronounce the vowels separately.

Anyway, the GPS took a lot of worry out of my mind, which is what I like while on vacation. I don't want to be staring at a map or written/printed directions while driving, so it was good for someone like me who just likes to get into the car and not worry about getting lost (even if I take a wrong turn).

As with any GPS anywhere, though...common sense is still needed, especially where there has been recent construction or road changes, and you still need to pay attention! And obviously the routes the GPS suggests sometimes are not the fastest or most convenient, so if you find a better route yourself, you can just ignore it when you see fit.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: g p s

LOL! You can bring it, but don't rely on the directions. Not always the best ... and the way they MANGLE the street names, you won't be able to respond to the directions anyway. You will have no idea what they are talking about.

Get a good map from AAA ... and the ones Hawaiian Airlines gives out are good, too.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: g p s

I agree with the previous posters, a GPS for directions is really not needed. However, i like the feature of "what's nearby" mostly restaurants, shopping etc. It's nice to have some unknown options that a GPS can provide when on a road trip and your stomach starts growling.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: g p s

My husband brings his - yes, for the restaurant listings that are close to the condo. I have a love/hate this with GPSs. When we were driving from Oregon to south of San Francisco and the GPS began sending us south on 680 (on the East Bay side, way east). When we got a few miles south of Walnut Creek, DH figured out that the GPS was trying to get us to our destination without crossing any toll bridges. We would have gone all the way down to San Jose and then back up towards San Fran. Let me tell you, I have done this about a hundred times because I grew up there but I was actually questioning whether my way of crossing the Bay Bridge was faster. People from the Bay Area will understand all this. I will say that the GPS has taken us to places in southern California that we would have never found on our own.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: g p s

My TomTom didn't come with a "cheapest route" option ;~)