We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and Roy's

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and Roy's

We are making our first trip to Maui in September and have a bunch of AmEx points to use. I am thinking about getting gift cards for these two restaurants. I've been to Roy's (not on Maui, of course) so I'm thinking of getting two $100 cards. That ought to be plenty for appetizers, 2 entrees, and wine. And, we can always use anything left over for the Roy's in our city.

Not sure about Ruth's Chris. Is it as expensive as Roy's? Anyone have any input on the food (at the Lahaina location)? Husband loves steak but I tend to go more for seafood.

Thanks!!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and Roy's

The worst and most exspensive dinner we had in Maui was at Ruth's steak house. It was bad from the get go and I dont know why for the life of me that we choose to go here instead of any of the other great restaurants available. I can go to Ruth's here where I live and get a bad meal why I choose to go in Maui has me still scratching my head.

California
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and Roy's

I've only been to Ruth Chris a few times, and each time was here in L.A. I thought it was pretty good. Probably a little more expensive than Roy's. All the steaks are close to $40 and up. And if you order the side items and drinks, your bill can easily run close to $100 (or more!) per person!!

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,383 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and Roy's

I've only been a few times too. Mainly because it's too expensive for me! But I've never been to the ones in Hawaii.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and Roy's

Could I suggest you convert your points to cash credit on your account (I think 20,000 points gets you $100) and then use the credit to dine at either Gerard's or Lahaina Grill.

These two restaurants are the finest not only on Maui, but Hawaii as well.

Roys is great, over in Kahana in a strip mall. Its popular with locals as well as visitors, the bar is packed daily. I would prefer that over Ruth's Chris.

Off island, my other favorites in Hawaii is Mariposa at Neiman Marcus in Honolulu, Wolfgang's at Waikiki, and Mortons's at Ala Moana.

On island, we also love Flatbreak Pizza over in Paia, which is a casual, local place.

Edited: 03 June 2010, 23:28
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and Roy's

sorry can't really help! We make it a habit to eat locally on island and not at chains that we can eat at at home...if I was gonna pay the buck's for Ruth's (have eaten there and not great) I'd go to Mama's!

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and Roy's

Thanks everyone for the responses. We normally do not eat at chains when we are on vacation (or at home for that matter) but I was thinking of how best to use our AmEx points. This is a little different in that the points are on my husband's corporate card and he is about to retire so we need to use them. I think I will just convert them over to FF miles and forget the dining options. I would much rather eat locally than do chains.

Thanks again for your input!!

7. Re: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and Roy's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2010, 07:34