We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"byob"??

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
"byob"??

When a restaurant review states "BYOB," do they really mean that? I mean is one permitted to bring booze? If the cops happen to come by, will there be a problem? I grew up in Vancouver in the 60's & 70's when many restaurants did not have a liquor license, and there was never a problem - in those days - bringing one's own so long as one was discreet about it (words were never exchanged - just a twisting motion with the hand in the direction of the waiter resulted in a corkscrew and glasses being brought to the table). I think by the late 60's the police would no longer confiscate your booze but then I don't think they were doing those kinds of "raids" anymore anyway. I just don't want to be on the wrong side of the law when I am on holiday! Thanks for any insight!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,554 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "byob"??

Yes they really mean "Bring Your Own"....

And it is totally legal. There is no problem whatsoever as long as the restaurant allows it.

You don't have to be "discrete". Most places will gladly bring out the glasses, ice bucket, corkscrew, whatever you need.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "byob"??

What restaurant on Maui has a BYOB policy?? More info on the Maui-side of the story, please.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "byob"??

I saw some pics from a lovely young couple, enjoying their own bottle of wine at a little restaurant in Kihei. I'll look them up.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "byob"??

amberloo...don't they charge a "corkage" fee? They do here and you can't take any left-overs home due to the open container laws.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "byob"??

808 Bistro - and the pics were from T&Dsquared.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,554 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: "byob"??

Mamma...

In Hawaii, restaurants WITH liquor licenses charge a corkage fee for bringing your own wine to dinner.

The BYOB status of a restaurant may change over time. Many places open without a license and allow it, but when they get their license, no more. Frankly, it is kind of weird to figure things out.

In example, the original Mekong Restaurant in Honolulu never had a license and was known as a wonderful BYOB place; with a fullly stocked wine, beer and booze grocery across the street. But Mekong II a couple of blocks away had a license, no BYOB, and a corkage fee.

And, for trivia buffs, Maui at one time may have had the only BYOB bar in the world. The Vineyard Tavern in Wailuku was such a dive and the source of undesirable activity that they lost their liquor license.

No problem for such a beloved joint. They kept the doors open, provided glasses and ice, and the patrons brought their own booze.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "byob"??

Thanks for the update!

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
319 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "byob"??

CJ's Deli in Kaanapali has BYOB policy

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "byob"??

We ate at the 808 Bistro. It was good food, they took care of the kids as well. Unfortunately we didn't find out about the BYOB policy until we were there, or else we definitely would have brought a bottle (or two).

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "byob"??

BYOB restaurants we have been to are

Thai Chef

Cilantros,

Asian Cafe

Paradise Crepes

All are near grocery stores that sell alcohol.