We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can I do at the OGG airport in Maui for four hours?

dallas, texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What can I do at the OGG airport in Maui for four hours?

I will be stuck waiting for the rest of my travel party at the Maui airport. I don't have a lot of extra cash to leave the airport so I was wondering if there was something fun to do for a few hours while I am waiting for everyone to arrive. Anyone have any suggestions? I arrive around 3 PM and everyone else comes in around 7 PM on a Tuesday in July.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can I do at the OGG airport in Maui for four hours?

If you are arriving on American, as you deplane you will see a restaurant. You might want to stop for 30 minutes grab a cold one or a bite. Once you leave this area for the baggage area you choices are very limited to "people" watching or reading all the activities brochures. It takes 30 to 40 minutes for flight 7 to get all baggage to claim area. There is a small gift shop near check in and a Starbucks??unless it has changed by baggage claim. Watching folks load luggage into the too small cars can be very entertaining. The airport is open air.....

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can I do at the OGG airport in Maui for four hours?

Hope you have a good book! Grab a seat in the diner or bar and watch some TV. Buy lei for those joining you...it's a small airport and not really a "happening" place. There is nothing but a parking lot past baggage claim.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can I do at the OGG airport in Maui for four hours?

There's not a whole lot at the airport, but you can always fill hours going through all the free coupon books that you find in baggage claim. :)

If you are renting a car, there is a lot of places near the airport that can "jump start" your trip, like the big Borders Bookstore on Dairy Road or the food court at the Queen Kaahumanu Shopping Center. Both are a short drive and you could circle back to get your companions.

If you're on foot, There's a Kispy Kreme (Why not? You're on vacation!), K-Mart, coffee shop, and a surf shop about a mile up the road (a bunch of stores by the corner of Dairy Road and Hana Hwy). For truly freebees, you could walk to Kanaha Pond Wildlife Sanctuary, (hawaiiweb.com/maui/html/sites/kanaha_pond_wa…) or go to Kanaha Beach and watch wind surfers. Winds should be good at 3pm.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can I do at the OGG airport in Maui for four hours?

Find a bus and leave

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,776 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What can I do at the OGG airport in Maui for four hours?

LOL "Spy". Ha Ha

I usually go over to SW's place and play pool, and walk the dog. :)

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can I do at the OGG airport in Maui for four hours?

I'd probably soak up the Maui sun!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What can I do at the OGG airport in Maui for four hours?

If you're physically fit, wear some comfy shoes & layered clothes. Walk to Kanaha Beach park and watch the Windsurfers & Kiteboarders. Or as suggested hang out at the beach just take in the sun. It's less than mile it's behind the rental car offices head North.

If you are not physically fit the main restaurant/bar is owned by Sammy Hagar and is kind of fun to hang out and people watch. They recently redid the lobby area where there's a Starbucks and massage chairs. You could hang out here and get a massage. A book is always a good idea when traveling. There are also some internet computer terminals (cost money of course as does the massage chair)...you could always get into Trip Advisor and share your story or give other's advice. :) Have fun, stay in the moment and enjoy! Aloha

Edited: 25 June 2010, 08:12
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What can I do at the OGG airport in Maui for four hours?

If you can leave your luggage at the airport for pickup later -- or have only a backpack or small bag -- you could walk out of the airport, down the street to K-Mart, and hop a bus to the Queen Kaahumanu shopping mall in Kahului. There are shops, a food court, my favorite Ruby's for ice cream sodas, movie theaters. Two bus routes stop at the airport if you wanted to have a whirl at sightseeing-by-bus in Upcountry or Haiku! Bus costs $1. Google Maui Bus for schedules and routes.

You could also walk out of the airport, turn left and go to Costco for a cheap dinner. LOL

Edited: 25 June 2010, 13:02
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What can I do at the OGG airport in Maui for four hours?

>>>If you are not physically fit the main restaurant/bar is owned by Sammy Hagar and is kind of fun to hang out and people watch. They recently redid the lobby area where there's a Starbucks and massage chairs<<< Upcountry_Maui, all of this is in the secure area.. if he leaves to claim bags he will not be able to go to the lobby.

>>>Caddy you were to keep that a secret,visiting SW, that was only for you and your youngens...<<<<

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What can I do at the OGG airport in Maui for four hours?

Um...why would the OP need to go back into the secure area? The rest of the party will come to baggage claim; they could meet there.