We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks, and advice needed: 3 bedroom rental for June 2011

New Mexico
Level Contributor
378 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks, and advice needed: 3 bedroom rental for June 2011

First I want to thank all of the TA Maui regulars for their excellent ideas and advice. Information I read here in April of this year turned our cancelled trip to England into one of the peak holidays of our lives. We had been planning a trip to England for over a year, my husband and I, our two daughters, and our sons-in-law. Due to the Iceland volcano, we literally had two days to either completely cancel our vacation, or regroup and find somewhere else to go, and I chose Maui. We ended up at the Hyatt in West Maui, and all six of us fell in love with the island and the people. We can't wait to go back, and are already planning another trip in June of 2011, which is when one of our SIL's will have vacation time available again.

As much as we loved our experience at the Hyatt, we would love to spend some time on another part of the island, and were looking at South Maui. We also wanted to stay in some kind of rental, because as much as we enjoyed ourselves at the Hyatt, a) 3 oceanfront rooms are expensive, b) 6 adults eating every meal at a restaurant is bad for the waistline and hard on the pocketbook and c) we would like to have more down-time together that didn't involve a bar, restaurant, or a hotel lobby.

After reading some of the threads here, I've looked at a few options in the Wailea area, although most places don't seem to have their prices up for June 2011 yet. I realize that a 3-bedroom rental may be harder to find, but would really appreciate any ideas or advice from the travel experts here. I'm a pro at hotel reservations, but the whole vacation rental thing is new to me, and I'm not sure what to watch out for, questions to ask, etc. We would like to be beachfront, have a lanai, and a washer dryer is a must. Is a management company rental the right way to go? What other information do you need from me? Thanks in advance for your input!

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
889 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks, and advice needed: 3 bedroom rental for June 2011

I booked our 1-bedroom condo on www.vrbo.com

This is a great website. This was the first time I have used vrbo because we usually book our condo through Outrigger, but the place we like (west side of Maui in Kahana - Royal Kahana), the condos were expensive. I was able to secure a 1-bedroom ocean front for $125 a night the week before Christmas, 2010. My in-laws have used vrbo to book their condo on the Big Island last year, and had a great experience as well. Another great website is chasenrainbows.com/maui-vacation-rentals.php

Aloha and good luck!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks, and advice needed: 3 bedroom rental for June 2011

Aloha,

I'd def check Chasin' Rainbows, and also consider Bello Realty. They are an old, reliable company and do a lot of rentals on the South side. I would be very, very careful with VRBO and Homeaway. Make sure there's a local agent and that it's a legal rental. Don't pay the whole tab up front-if there's a problems, you will have no recourse. If you can buy insurance, do.

You also might want to look at a different configuration than a 3 bedroom unit. You might enjoy having more than one kitchen, as well as a couple of washer and dryers! Consider a 2 bedroom and a studio, or two 2 bedroom, or a 2bedroom and a one bedroom. Everyone will get a little more space and privacy that way.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
378 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks, and advice needed: 3 bedroom rental for June 2011

Thanks for the suggestion, susie6505. Did you have any concerns about using vrbo? It sounds as though you've been to Royal Kahana often, what is it that draws you back, and would you recommend it?

Swmarket, I will check out Chasin' Rainbows and Bello Realty. I do have some concerns about vrbo and Homeaway just because we are new to the vacation rental process and might miss some red flags. When you mention insurance, do you mean trip insurance, foreclosure insurance, or both? Or something else? We're open to something other than a 3 bedroom, but honestly, that would be the simplest for us. Do you have any suggestions for specific condos/rental units?

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
889 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanks, and advice needed: 3 bedroom rental for June 2011

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! We LOVE the west side of Maui. I have been really happy with the Outrigger Royal Kahana, however, the room we booked last year through the Outrigger was a 1-bedroom Ocean Front. We stayed the week before Christmas 2009, and the rate was $179.00 a night. Now, that same room, is $275.00.

As far as VRBO itself, I feel confident that we made a good choice. A lot of research and open communication with the owner is the best way to go. Do not pay for the entire rental in advance. Ask a lot of questions, i.e., cancellation policy, what is included, cleaning fees, etc.

Check out this website: http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauwestmap.html

This is a GREAT tool for researching condo/hotel reviews. Go directly to the websites of the complexes and see what the rates are.

I totally agree with the other reviewers about checking out 2 bedrooms or something similar.

Good luck!!! Planning is half the fun!!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
378 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanks, and advice needed: 3 bedroom rental for June 2011

susie6505: We really enjoyed staying in West Maui in April, so I know what you mean about location. For our trip in 2011, we wanted to try another area of Maui, or even another island. We feel as though we barely scratched the surface on all the beautiful places there are to see, and wonderful activities. Thanks for the link to the Maui Revealed site, it gives great information about where to stay...it's a great starting place when the choices are really overwhelming. Good advice also for the asking questions before renting, I appreciate the input.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
889 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanks, and advice needed: 3 bedroom rental for June 2011

If you are thinking about another island - we LOVE the Big Island. We head over to the Kona Coast after our stint in Maui. We stay at the Hilton Waikoloa because my DH is Diamond level with Hilton and we exchange points for 6n/7d. We have been there 4 times and will be there again for Christmas 2010.

We have also visited Kauai, and LOVE it as well. It is smaller and gets a lot of rain, but it is soooo beautiful. I would like to return someday.

Only 170 days, 4,080 hours, 244, 800 minutes and 14,688,000 seconds until take-off!

Aloha!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanks, and advice needed: 3 bedroom rental for June 2011

You'd be fine anywhere on Maui in June. We prefer the quieter part of South Maui to the more densely packed Lahaina/Kaanapali. You might also like Napili or Kapalua. If you want to tour around Upcountry, Haleakala and Road to Hana, those are more easily accessed from South Maui.

Bello Realty is an established company. Another good place to look would be this site: www.mauiownercondos.com VRBO is fine too. You can buy trip insurance on the VRBO home page at little expense. (We rent our condo via VRBO -- ten years, no problems.)

A lovely, newer condo with 3 BR units is Wailea Beach Villas. It's beachfront makai of the Shops at Wailea upscale mall. Makena Surf is on a lovely beach. Polo Beach Club is also on a great beach. Some less expensive condos are across the coastal road from where the Kamaole Beach parks start in S. Kihei, on into Wailea.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
378 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanks, and advice needed: 3 bedroom rental for June 2011

ChiSue said: "If you want to tour around Upcountry, Haleakala and Road to Hana, those are more easily accessed from South Maui."

That's what we were thinking. We tended to stay fairly close to Ka'anapali when we were there in April, aside from snorkeling trips, etc., and wanted to see a little more of the island when we go again. Thank you for the information and the links. We had been looking at some of the Makena Surf information, it's good to hear that they are good options. It looks as though the Polo Beach Club does not have 3-bedroom units, unfortunately, at least, none showed up on any of my searches. The Wailea Beach Villas are beautiful, and I will check those out, but the prices do seem to be substantially higher, which I totally understand from seeing the photos. What a lovely location. By the way, we just got back from a trip to Chicago, one of our favorite cities!

susie6505: We loved Maui, but are totally open to both the BI and Kauai. I'm trying to do as much research as I can, so appreciate any thoughts on where to consider staying. We thought on the Big Island Waikoloa looked like a good option, but are totally overwhelmed by the choices on Kauai.

Edited: 29 June 2010, 18:15
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanks, and advice needed: 3 bedroom rental for June 2011

Did you check for Wailea Beach Villas on VRBO? You should be able to save.

Makena Surf is lovely and quiet. It is also a little out of the way if you're going to be touring, eating out, etc. If you want something MUCH less expensive, look across Kihei Road from the Kamaole Beach Parks in Kihei and above the beach in Wailea.

This website shows almost every lodging in Hawaii: www.wizardpub.com The properties are listed in order as they lie. In South Maui I'd look at Sugar Beach, then start again at Kamaole Sands and go south. I know Kam Sands has 3-BRs and Maui Hill, too. I think there are some at The Palms and Grand Champions in Wailea.

There are so many great beaches in South Maui that you probably won't limit yourself to only the beach that's right 'out front' where you stay.

Oh, I have another idea for you. Will send you a private message.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
378 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thanks, and advice needed: 3 bedroom rental for June 2011

ChiSue: I will do some checking on VRBO this afternoon and see what turns up for the Wailea Beach Villas. Thanks for the other suggestions regarding locations, I'll spend some time researching, and will come back here for any additional thoughts people may have. Thanks so much for the input!