We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am agonizing over a trip decision.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
I am agonizing over a trip decision.

Well, it doesn't look like anything is going to change for the better with my DH and his job. It just isn't going to work out for both of us to get a trip planned to Hawaii. I know I sound like a whiney baby, but I CAN'T wait more years to go. It has already been four years!

The longing desire to go back is just driving me crazy.

I have discussed this with DH before now, and he is okay with me going. He would like it if I found someone to go with me, but that has not worked out so far. I guess maybe the people I know just aren't as nuts about Hawaii as I am. Even though another person and myself would be splitting hotel and car costs, no one is wanting to go.

I think I need to go before school starts again for my grandson, he lives with me and DH. I believe I can rely on ex-DH to keep GS. My DH works a crazy shift, so I need to make sure GS is with someone else during the time I'd be gone. Once school starts, there aren't any plans that would work out. Ex-DH lives in another town.

I'd like it if I could go to Hawaii when we have cold weather here, but I guess I have to live with other plans. I'm currently looking at August 18th., returning August 29th. I'm thinking of doing a split between Maui and Oahu. I wish I could make use of the weekdays leading up to Labor Day weekend, but GS wants to sign up for 7th. grade football and conditioning starts Aug. 30th. :( :(

School doesn;t begin till Sept. 7th.

Hoping I'm not making a mistake going at this time of year. I just don't see another option. Any thoughts on this time of year will be overly hot, and possibly make me regret this decision?

I know I have been contemplating this solo trip for a while now. Two things playing the biggest part are Guilt for going without DH(my issue) and going in August. What's a Hawaii addict to do??

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am agonizing over a trip decision.

Aloha!

Is taking the Grandson an option?

August is nice and very warm!

How about Maui and the north shore of Kauai which is gorgeous in August?

Me ke aloha,

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am agonizing over a trip decision.

Taking my grandson isn't really an option for me. If my DH was going, that would be a different story. We have taken GS before and it worked out well. My DH is more "active" than me, and this makes for a better companion for my GS.

antioch
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am agonizing over a trip decision.

if your are agonizing the decision in the first place that should tell you something, if you had friends on the island to do activities with,even every third day i'd say go for it but a 10 -11 day trip? i know personally after about 3 or four days without the wife the "fun" of the trip would be long gone, no fun going to lunches,dinners alone and you can only stick your nose in a book on the beach or the pool/lanai for so long before getting bored. as much as i love maui or any vacation spot i'd rather wait it out and go with a loved one(or family). thats where the fun of a trip is, spouse,family and or friends.

happy 4th!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,310 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am agonizing over a trip decision.

We've PM'ed a bit, so you know that my heart goes out to you. I just planned a trip to HI for early October ... and then came to my senses and cancelled it. I plan to go the week before Christmas ... and two trips in 3 months is a little much. But I live in California -- 25 minutes from the airport - so it's relatively easy for me.

If you plan to go by yourself, I wouldn't go during the hot high season of August. And I would have a pretty good plan of what I wanted to do once I got there.

I used to travel considerably with previous jobs, and as DonBoy said - that time by yourself runs a little dry after a few days.

Edited: 05 July 2010, 00:16
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am agonizing over a trip decision.

I traveled to Maui solo in late August last year. Airfares were very cheap, no one else wanted to go, and the lure of a few days on Maui was irrisistable.

I used to travel extensively for business, but this was different. I am older now, with some physical limitations. Some tips:

1. Definitely stay in a place with A/C if you go in Aug or Sept.

2 Make sure you like the pool area as you might not feel comfortable going in the ocean without a "buddy".

3. Keep your cell phone in your pocket . It's reassuring to know you can call for help if needed. Also fun to dial home sponaneously and share your "Maui moments"

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,976 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am agonizing over a trip decision.

I know you have read JCwander's latest trip report! If you can swing it do Waikki and Maui! It will be MUCH hotter than you are used to and you will need AC. Look at Kaanapali as a "safer" place for a single female. Tis your choice. However if you are planning August get on it!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I am agonizing over a trip decision.

Pattie - dear Pattie - girl we got to get you to the islands!!! Doggone it I should have pinged you months ago, but you know I was in a fog.

OK - - I hear you loud and clear, no I wasn't as behind as you are, but doggone it I needed it - we won't get to go again for at least ayear if not two - so this is why I went to Maui solo !!!!!!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat - (just maybe next year again) but I sure missed hubby!!

Was I nervous about traveling alone to Maui? No. I was more nervous about leaving DH in charge of things while I was gone!!! lol I was also amazed at how many great people I met traveling solo - shop keepres, transplants, old friends and new, It was truly a great experience.

Maybe we need to start a collective of wayward wives and create a stir - -

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,976 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I am agonizing over a trip decision.

Lol at LesRose...have you read "The Elegant Gathering of White Snows"!? Great book that speakss to this.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I am agonizing over a trip decision.

Ok,, #1 - Let's throw that guilt right out the window! Go on ... do it... get rid of it. If I recall correctly your husband recently took a solo vacation or maybe it was your grandson too, but you did not go, right?

#2 - Yes, we need to get you to Hawaii and it does not matter what month. Go in August!

#3 - August 30th football conditioning? Can't your husband take care of this? Or find a friend or mom of your DG friend who will help so you can stay a bit more. And if not well then stay the 10 days. It’s a good stretch.

Pattie, this is going to be a fantastic trip for you. Start reading solo trip reports to get ideas. Take some great books to read and plan an itinerary and plan on some pampering – Massage time, girl!

I say Go!

Too bad we’ll miss each other! I am flying into Kauai on Labor Day.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,597 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I am agonizing over a trip decision.

Aloha,

I'm in the "GO FOR IT!" camp, Pattie. You will see things differently as a solo-and that can be a great thing! You needn't bury your nose in a book, sit at the table next to the kitchen in every restaurant, etc. There are many solo travelers in Maui and Oahu, and you can have a wonderful time. No deadlines, no pressure-you get to do what and when you want!

In August, I'd def look at Kaanapali-maybe Maui Kai, the Mahana, or Maui Kaanapali Villas. All nice properties and comfortable. You'll find plenty to do, even if it's "nothing".