We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - Where is Prohibited to go

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Rental - Where is Prohibited to go

Hello,

I was reading some forum topics and got confused [ not unusual lol] on the car rental.

Are there areas I can not drive a rental car? I was thinking to drive the Hana road, which I think will not be a problem.

Go to Haleakala National Park and drive to summit to see the sunrise, other than that just drive around the island and go place to place.

Do you see a problem with it?

Thanks for alerting me and helping me again.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental - Where is Prohibited to go

There are only 2 "portions" of roads that the rental car companies don't want you to take their cars. The portion of the Hana Hwy past Kipahulu which is the south/east flank of Haleakala, and a portion of Kahekili Hwy, that is in west Maui past the blow hole.

You can drive the Hana Hwy in your rental, just not past Kipahulu and there is no problem with driving it up to the summit of Haleakala.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,241 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental - Where is Prohibited to go

When in doubt -- check with the car rental company. As msfuzz says .... those two areas are the "stand-outs."

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental - Where is Prohibited to go

I rented from Budget in Maui and Kauai a few weeks ago. In Kauai they presented a seperate agreement listing 3 specific roads I would not drive on. This had to be signed

I was told that type of agreement is going to follow in Maui soon.

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental - Where is Prohibited to go

Thanks for helping me again.

I will double check with the car rental once I get there.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental - Where is Prohibited to go

Also best to have them highlight the roads on a map. The roads in question either are one way with shear drop-offs or they are severely pot-holed with large loose boulders looming above. Hope the descriptions translate. If you get a "wild hair", msfuzz will drive over from Oahu in her car and take you over the top of the west Maui lobe. She is all over this.

6. Re: Car Rental - Where is Prohibited to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2011, 06:18