We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rgator Trip Report (7/15-7/23)

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
rgator Trip Report (7/15-7/23)

Background: We have been planning this trip for six months to celebrate our 10-year anniversary. We have two young boys and it has been a full 10 years since we’ve had a full week to ourselves sans kids. Without further ado here she blows…..

Day One (Getting There):

We left at 9:30 from Tampa and had a one-hour layover at DFW before another 8 hours in the sky to Maui. I finished reading Mudbound (***), watched “The Wrestler” (***) and “Hot Tub Time Machine”(*) and we landed at 3:30 (9:30 EST). I let the wife pick-up the luggage while I hopped on the Alamo shuttle to the pick-up counter. I was the only one on the shuttle bus and third in line at the pickup counter. The line went quick and I went out back to pick-out our convertible. There were no Mustangs available so I picked out the Sebring with the fewest dings/mileage. I dropped the top and went to pickup the wife. We stopped at Wal-mart to pickup some water, beer, snacks, and fan (the wife has to have her white noise to sleep). The sun was bearing down on us pretty hard and we are a shade away from albino, so the wife reached into the make-up bag to get some sunscreen and, ughhhhh, something slippery/slimy had leaked all over everything during the flight. We drove to the Sheraton. Our attendant, Galen, showed us around the resort and then led us to our room. Our room was Deluxe Oceanfront and was on the 4th floor in Building #6. Building #6 is away from the main resort and has its own parking lot. We followed the attendant, who was in a golf car, in our car to our room. Building #6 is directly on the ocean and overlooks the back side of Black Rock and Kahekili Beach Park up to Airport Beach. It felt like we were hovering over the ocean. We walked around the resort and the views were amazing everywhere. The trip from our room to the main pool area was: Elevator from Floor 4 to Floor 3 at Building #6, go across breezeway from Building #6 to Builind #5, Elevator from Floor 3 to Floor 8 at Building #5, go across breezeway from Building 5 to Building 4 (awesome view from this breezeway overlooking resort and beach), take Elevator from Floor 8 to Floor 1, and you are at the pool. The breezeways between the buildings are amazing little quiet spot in the resort with equally amazing views of the resort and ocean. We ended up at the Tiki Bar for the sunset cliff dive ceremony. We ordered a “non-vegetarian” pulled pork nachos and a Longboard Lager and were treated to an amazing sunset. We walked to Whaler Village (about an 8 minute walk). We first passed Hula Grill and then Lehlani’s and took a look at the menus (my wife is non-fish eater, so we have to find places with a good chicken or pork dish). We browsed through a few stores and then headed to Maui Dive Shop to rent our snorkel gear. Then we headed back to the Sheraton at 9 (3AM EST) for some sleep.

Modesto
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: rgator Trip Report (7/15-7/23)

Wonderful reading, especially since we are going soon (19 days!) Very detailed and informative, and I was taking notes.

I'm confused about day 4 (bang-bang), since I am trying to get my bearings in the Napili/Kapalua area (actually the whole island, but esp up there). When the road was closed down, couldn't you have snorkeled at Kapalua Bay, and isn't that one of the best anyway? You mentioned hiking and viewing the bay, but I'm surprised your guide book didn't mention it for snorkeling. Am I just confused,,help sw or msfuz!,(or anyone)??

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: rgator Trip Report (7/15-7/23)

@VC: Coconut Porter and Big Swell IPA were my favs, but their website shows 8-10 additional brews that are at their bar location only....maybe next time.

@Dee/VC: We were a little flustered when we were turned around by the cops on our way to Honolua. We referenced the only guidebook we had with us (the others were back in the hotel) and they listed Oneloa (left side near rocks only) as the only good snorkeling place in that area. Quote: "The public access deposits you on the right side and you quickly conclude that this beach has bad swimming and snorkeling.....what they can't see is that the left third of the beach usually has a padded sandy bottom, making the swimming delightfull when calm....the snorkeling around the left end can also be very good with lots of fish and some wild rock formations.." ....I guess the key word is "when calm". This guidebooks says Kapalua Bay is one of the best swimming beach but not very clear for snorkeling and didn't say a thing about snorkeling at Napili Bay. For what it's worth, we happened to hit this area at high tide.

Kansas
Level Contributor
206 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: rgator Trip Report (7/15-7/23)

Great Trip Report! We just got back from Maui ourselves and I had a very hard time adjusting when we returned! My mind and soul still wanted to be back in Maui;)

I just have to know, how do I find a preferred Four Seasons agent ? I have dreams of staying at that hotel some day!!! If we are ever able to swing it, I would love the deal you were able to reserve!

Thanks!

CSBM

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: rgator Trip Report (7/15-7/23)

rgator! Finally had time to read your whole report...and I thank you! What great detail. We've discovered that "Island Time" hits you much faster on return trips. Even my type-A hubbie is usually wound down by the time we get to the condo...I'm there when I step on the plane! I'm with VC, but I'm sorry you missed the snorkeling at Airport Beach! Put it on your list for when you bring the kiddlets!

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: rgator Trip Report (7/15-7/23)

@CSMB: I'm not sure how you locate a travel agent that has preferred partner status. I will PM you the travel advisor that we used. I was given his name by another TA Maui poster.

Edited: 02 August 2010, 14:45
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: rgator Trip Report (7/15-7/23)

rgator, you need to throw what ever guide book you were using away!! Kapalua Bay not clear for snorkeling? Hogwash!! The only time the snorkeling isn't very good at Kapalua Bay is during the winter months when there are hugh north/northwest swells coming in. I think that happened twice in the 5 years I lived on Maui!! Too bad you didn't have the other guide books with you!! Napili Bay is good for snorkeling too, it get a bit more choppy sometimes than Kapalua Bay does, but is still subject to the same winter conditions.

37. Re: rgator Trip Report (7/15-7/23)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 06:16