We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kahana Beach , Mama's Fish House, Diving????

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
96 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Kahana Beach , Mama's Fish House, Diving????

This is where our condo is. Is it worth the extra money to have a jeep. We want to adventure. Best Grocery Store? Mama's Fish House? Best diving for a Dive Master? All questions. We are arriving August 14th for one week. Would welcome any tips or advice. Thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kahana Beach , Mama's Fish House, Diving????

If you want to look adventurous, you'll want a Jeep. If you want to stay comfortable, a compact car is perfect. There is no off-road driving that you would be able to do legally. Best deal for groceries in the area would be Safeway in Lahaina (get a club card from customer service when you first shop there). Best grocery store that isn't a zoo would be in Napili Plaza or the Times Supermarket in Honokawai. Go there to use the deli and find more local items.

I'll let others answer the dive questions as I am only a snorkeler : ) Same with Mama's Fish House.

For adventure, I'm not gonna tell you to drive around the top of the West Maui lobe, but I will tell you to drive in a counterclockwise direction if you don't want to scare the **** out of the person in the passenger seat.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kahana Beach , Mama's Fish House, Diving????

I wouldn't want a jeep. You can not leave anything secured in them.

If you are looking into renting one ask them if there are any extra roads for

"Jeeps only".

Maui
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kahana Beach , Mama's Fish House, Diving????

Are you a buddy team or a solo diver looking for an organized trip?

Big difference in the answer......

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kahana Beach , Mama's Fish House, Diving????

>>> If you are looking into renting one ask them if there are any extra roads for

"Jeeps only".

Jimgloria, you cracked me up on that one.

Just one tip, if you haven't noticed the Things To Do link on TA's left menu, there are all sorts of activities reviewed there. Some are paid tours, but others are attractions you can do on your own. That should give you ideas.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
52 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kahana Beach , Mama's Fish House, Diving????

My husband has booked Extended Horizons for Lanai and Lahaina Divers for Molinki Crater. Both were easy to book. One for small group and one for large group. Both leaving out of Lahaina which was good for not having to get up so early to drive down south, We will be at Kahana Reef in Aug. Good luck.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
96 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kahana Beach , Mama's Fish House, Diving????

Solo diver. Prefer experieced divers. Thank you for your reply.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
96 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kahana Beach , Mama's Fish House, Diving????

Good advice. Thank you. Like the price of a small car better anyway! This is our first time to HI. We are usually Mexico goers. Branching out! What about local dining? We prefer to go where the locals go. Of course we're tourists but don't usually like the cattle call or tourist mark ups. Really appreciate your advice.

Maui
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kahana Beach , Mama's Fish House, Diving????

Solo diver, divemaster rating.... I'd look at some of the more advanced dives, Molokini backwall drift, Lanai lava tubes, Lanai drift dives, Molokai drift for the bigger pelagics. There are also some nice shore dives if you can hook up with another diver on one of the charters, never hurts to ask!

Skip most of the coastal Maui dives and the inside of Molokini if you do the backwall drift.

From Kahana, the most convenient will be the west side dive operators

Hawaiian Rafting http://www.goscubadivemaui.com/

Lahaina Divers http://www.lahainadivers.com/

Extended Horizons http://www.extendedhorizons.com

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
162 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kahana Beach , Mama's Fish House, Diving????

Groceries - Organic - Mana Foods, Pa'ia. Definitely in the opposite direction than where you are staying, but worth it. We have a Whole Foods (seriously $$) and their prices are matched at Down to Earth. There's one organic store in Honokowai (just north of Kaanapali - on the way to Kahana). Don't know their prices.

Otherwise, Foodland, Safeway, Costco. Last if you are already a member. Prior two, join their food clubs. Safeway cards from your part of the planet work here, since it is a national chain. Safeway in Kahului and Lahaina. Costco about a mile or less out of the airport. Foodland is buried in Lahaina town. Times - a HNL chain - took over the Star Market in Honokowai - you'll pass it on the way to your condo. No clue about $. There's Napili market just north of where you will be. May be part of Foodland group. Not sure.

Mama's is where I take friends for an extended birthday lunch. We hang out and they let us chat and visit and enjoy the views. Usually spend 2+ hours there. A great indulgence. Service is usually at the highest caliber -solicitous but not smothering. Food has a high level of care in prep and presentation. Menu gives you info on the fisherman and where the food was caught. Reservations a few days ahead are a must. Save room for a Black Pearl. An amazing dessert to be shared if you love chocolate.

E komo mai - welcome

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,096 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kahana Beach , Mama's Fish House, Diving????

Aloha,

There are several Farmer's Markets on the West side. Additionally, Lahaina Farms Market--across from Safeway--is far better produce, IMO---and lots of local stuff, organic or not.

Check out the Maui News and the Lahaina News for times and locations of the markets and also craft fairs.

mauinews.com and lahainanews.com