We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't rent a car from Budget on Maui!

Oklahoma City...
2 posts
Save Topic
Don't rent a car from Budget on Maui!

I rented a car from Budget for my vacation on Maui last week. I took perfect care of the car, and returned it on time. About 30 minutes later, I realized we were missing our Nintendo DS. I called Budget, and they said they had found it. They agreed to send it over on the shuttle to be picked up at the airport Budget booth (very nice of them).

My husband went out to get it, and when he did, he saw that the game had been stolen out of the DS. We both spoke to the manager named Brian about it, but he refused to take any responisibility. He acted like there was no way that anyone would take the game, but it obviously had been stolen! Games can't just fall out of a DS, and it was in a secure case anyway. It was the only game we brought to Maui, so of course we wouldn't have taken it out.

The most irritating thing was the way the Budget staff treated us. Every person we talked to about this issue just wanted to pass the buck to someone else. The manager didn't even believe that we had left the game in the car at all. I guess he thought we were lying??? I understand that they probably won't be able to get it back for us, but they could at least be respectful and apologetic. Instead, we were treated like liars. The Maui Budget office has a very rude, unethical staff. Use another car rental company!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,243 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't rent a car from Budget on Maui!

So other than the missing game ... how did you like Maui??

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't rent a car from Budget on Maui!

Sorry, Budget probably didn't handle the situation well but I'd probably be more upset at my kid who irresponsibly left the DS behind. One time I was field trip mom and my son brought his DS on a field trip that was a couple hours drive and I warned him it wasn't a good idea... anyways, I had 5 other kids in my car so 6 kids and by the end of the day, 5 of his DS games in a ziplock bag were missing. We asked each kid if they knew were the games were but no one confessed. At $30-50 a game, he learned an expensive lesson.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't rent a car from Budget on Maui!

First post should be a trip report not a bashing of a car rental place.

TRIP REPORT TRIP REPORT TRIP REPORT!!!

Glendale, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't rent a car from Budget on Maui!

Sorry you had a DS game missing. But I have used Budget in Maui many times with no problems. Your headline gives the impression the car company is bad. The reality is you had a item stolen ? or missing ?. But in every car contract with any rental company it clearly states that they are not responsible for items left in car.

It's sad someone maybe took a game out. But how did the car run ? Did budget give you a good car ? Sorry you got a sad ending to vacation but the rental of the car is what travelers want to know about. That's my honest two cents.

I am also sure the Budget front counter was honest with you or they would have said there is no DS player even in the car. Then I would understand a deeper frustration. But they did return the Game console. So thats show some honesty and integrity too. PS : I dont work for Budget or have any affliation..just giving some common sense to the issue.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,181 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't rent a car from Budget on Maui!

No word on the reward you offered the Budget personnel for honorably returning you game the valuable console...

Or, did we forget?

Our company has used Budget for three decades and no complaints.

Edited: 04 August 2010, 07:44
Modesto
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't rent a car from Budget on Maui!

My first post wasn't a trip report. I've still got alot of questions before I go on my trip. But,,they are usually questions.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,760 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't rent a car from Budget on Maui!

Hi,

Much like when you leave behind items in your hotel or on an aircraft, you do hope and even expect that the company would have the courtesy to return them to you or make an attempt to reunite you with your property.. and I think that's a fair expectation to have...

However, in the end, you ultimately bear the responsibility for insuring that you take all your property when you return you car.. Again, this doesn't mean that Budget shouldn't at least make an effort to find it-- and it sounds like from what you write, that they did just that, and perhaps even went somewhat above and beyond the call to get them back to you..

As to the notion that someone at Budget took the game.. well, we'll never know.. Could have someone taken it? Yes, absolutely possible.. but there could also be other explanations as well... in the end, you just don't know..

If they were rude to you when you raised the issue, then that's not acceptable, and I do think that they should at least be empathetic to your plight..

I do think that in the end, given that Budget fundamentally didn't have any liability to you to do so, I think that they deserve some acknowledgment and/or credit for finding the game unit and making efforts to return it to you.. even though it's unfortuante you didn't get the game cartridge back-- and perhaps due to less-than honest reasons, you did get the game unit back...

Travel Safe,

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't rent a car from Budget on Maui!

like everyone else has posted this is totally the fault of someone from your family who made the error of leaving it in the car ----

sorry you didnt get the warm and fuzzies you expected from all the employees of budget but do you have any idea how many renters call up to say they left something in the car--- and it some cases its outright fraud where a person expects budget or any car company to make good on something that might not even exist yet left in the car ------

i have used budget for years without any problem from an employee or the auto i rented --- but then again i never left anything in the car

Edited: 04 August 2010, 13:20
Midwest
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't rent a car from Budget on Maui!

Over the years we have left all kinds of things behind, some recovered some not. I think their attitude bugs you, but like me...they dont know the value of a DS game to you. I'd give em a pass on this one

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,764 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't rent a car from Budget on Maui!

A better headline might have been "Don't leave a valuable DS in any rental car and expect to get it back"