We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh fish - where to buy?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Fresh fish - where to buy?

Besides wholefoods, where can I get fresh fish to buy? I would prefer to purchase from locals instead of a grocer store! Besides, wholefoods is way too expensive even in oklahoma!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh fish - where to buy?

There is a fish market in Honokowai at the 5A RentaSpace strip mall.

I tried to trip a fisherman as he darted under the Lahaina Banyan

Tree yesterday. He was holding a nice Mahi Mahi by the tail and

delivering it to a restaurant.

A big 700 lb marlin broke the hoist at the Lahain Harbor last week.

The gears are worn out or something. They use it to haul out even

heavier engines so I hope Harbors Division orders a new one

quickly.

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh fish - where to buy?

We just let the experts(on arrival and departure from OGG) at Paia Fish Market choose, prepare, and cook the fish for us. We bought fish at Honokawai Fish Market one trip but the costs ended up being the same (but you get side dishes with a fish plate at PFM) and there isn't the chance of you screwing it up by grilling it yourself! We stick to grilling chicken, pineapple, Kula onions, and hamburgers. Once we get settled in, we're usually satisfied eating poke from the market and coconut shrimp at Aloha Mixed Plate for seafood...

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,094 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh fish - where to buy?

Aloha,

The Fish Market in Honokawai, Eskimo Candy in Kihei, Foodland (any of them), and Lahaina Farms Market in Lahaina would be some good choices.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh fish - where to buy?

I've gotten extremely good fish from, believe it or not, Costco. The sashimi there is ono!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh fish - where to buy?

Am a good cook and lived in the Caribbean and Mexico for awhile so prefer to cook even on vacation. One other problem is having celiac. I had sushi on Oahu and was glutened! They somehow got my food close to something with gluten. Ugh

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh fish - where to buy?

Does soy sauce have gluten?

I ike to cook in Maui too.

kansas city
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh fish - where to buy?

Bought ahi, mahi mahi and ono from Eskimo Candy in Kihei. All yummy. They also have a cooked menu as well.

Denver, Colorado
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fresh fish - where to buy?

Some soy sauces do have gluten. Check online for gluten free soy sauce.

Rosarita1

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fresh fish - where to buy?

Most soy sauces have gluten. Instead, buy wheat-free Tamari (Japanese version of soy sauce).

10. Re: Fresh fish - where to buy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 07:17