We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental - no credit cards

Rimbey
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
rental - no credit cards

Anyone else feel uneasy about renting six months in advance but not paying with a card? I know some condo owners dont take them because of the fees, but doesn't that leave the renter sort of at their mercy?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental - no credit cards

This is a good reason to get travel insurance. I believe (though someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) that insurance covers fraud.

I don't think refusing CCs is a reason in itself to be nervous, but I'd definitely research the unit and owners as much as possible.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental - no credit cards

I would not pay in full in advance that far out. A credit card only covers you for 60 days after you make the payment. A check insures you not at all.

Travel insurance typically covers you for default of covered suppliers, meaning mainstream hotels. It if's not on their supplier list, TI won't cover it. At least not in the policies I've read. Do get TI, and read the coverage carefully.

Many condo owners in Hawai'i are used to not taking CC's, but the fees aren't that much, are tax deductible, and it's the 21st century, so time to get with it. As PF said, the mere fact they don't take cards doesn't mean they're dishonest, but it certainly does leave you in a terrible position if they aren't.

You can forget about getting any help from the authorities here. Your option would be small claims court, filed in Hawai'i, requires a trip to appear, and then you get a likely worthless judgment.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental - no credit cards

I know that many people do rent from owners who do not take credit cards. I will not. Don't assume travel insurance will cover you; make sure you ask them. I booked through vrbo and only looked at those owners who took credit cards. I also purchased the insurance vrbo now offers, which was not too costly. It gave me peace of mind.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,284 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental - no credit cards

Follow your instincts. Don't do it. Other fish in the sea ...

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rental - no credit cards

I agree - an owner (or any rental business) not taking credit cards is someone I likely wouldn't do business with. Nothing against them, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable. I prefer to have some back up and use my credit card for just that reason....

Best of luck to you!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental - no credit cards

I just booked a condo on Maui for 6 nights in March next year, through vrbo.

We paid in full with credit card and it has been accepted and is on my statement.

The owners have been great - even posting me some Maui books.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental - no credit cards

I don't think I would rent from an owner that did not take a credit card, it makes the whole process a lot easier. The one time I went through a private owner on Kauai it was all done with a credit card and it was a very smooth process.

If your looking on VRBO they have a fraud thing you can sign up for after you start the rental process that covers up to 1500.00 if I remember right.

We are staying in a studio condo at Napili Shores in march which I booked through Outrigger which is nice because there's no deposit and you have up to 3 days before to cancel the reservation.

Rimbey
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental - no credit cards

Wow! 7 for 7! Guess that ones a no go! Thanks everyone!

Canada
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental - no credit cards

We have rented through vrbo.com numerous times. worldwide. In the early days...we would send off a check and hope for the best... Luckily ...all went well.

Now ...for the last 2-3 years...we ALWAYS pay by credit card...and usually through a management company(Price negotiated thru owner)

This seems to work..there are many properties in foreclosure and for sale. often it is difficult to find one not for sale. You have no guarantee that a property not for sale when you book it...will not be put on the market afterward...

Sometimes to secure a highly desirable property, one needs to reserve up to a year in advance. It is not unheard of... But a full deposit is never tendered...Security plus a couple nights rent...with balance due 45- 60 days out seems to be the norm.

Even though there was a time we paid by check...and had no problems..now is the time we pay by credit card...and owners sense the demand and realize that for whatever reason...frequent renters(Longterm & short term) prefer this Business model.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
145 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental - no credit cards

Have worked with two business people - here and on BI - who only do rental things via cash/check. They take a NR deposit and the rest is due a reasonable time before hand. Not 6 months out. One is a certified B&B and the other is a "vacation rental".

So, following your gut is the best thing to do... as well as all the lovely people who have posted ahead of me here.

Malama pono ~ take care ~