We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report.... Maui from July 30 to Aug 6... Fri to Fri

oakland, ca
Level Contributor
67 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report.... Maui from July 30 to Aug 6... Fri to Fri

We've been back a couple weeks and are still finding ourselves dreaming of Kannapali Beach

I'll have some spellings wrong, sorry, but here's some things you may find helpful / interesting.

Arrived Friday afternoon and picked up our VW camper from Aloha Camper. $30 spedi shuttle ride to the door. Ariel was very helpful at Aloha and the 1990 automatic VW vanagon was just what we had in mind. It was the perfect ride for chapter 1. Spent Friday night at Hosmer Grove near the top of the volcano.$10, no reservation. SOOO many stars!!! Up early for the sunrise the Sat morning (not the best sunrise ever, the crowd was funny though). I hiked the shifting sands trail from the summit to a different overlook where my wife met me with the van. This was an awesome hike... the volcano is otherworldly. Saw 3 people on the 12 mile trek,,, pretty arduous but worth it

Drove the Hana Highway to the state camp called Wahamaimai... or something like it.. small black sand beach, very comfortable campground GET YOUR PERMIT ONLINE BEFORE YOU GO.. $10 per night... great drive, great park, great campsite... very quiet

Drove to the Oheo gulch campground on Sunday and got a campsite for $10.. ocean view. Hiked to the big waterfalls... Waimuku (sp?) above the 7 pools. Early start meant we were among the first there.

Monday morning had us swimming in the lower pools by 8, with only a few other people, then we drove the van the rest of the way around the highway... a little bumpy but no real trouble... terrific views of the mountain from the little deserted church on the south side of the island.

Returned the van, picked up a rental car and drove to our hotel.. the Kanappali Ocean View, which adjoins the Royal Lahaina.. $119 per night and we use the pool, beach and Mai Tais of the Royal Lahaina. The bed was comfortable, the room was large and the AC was very cold. A nice spot.

Snorkeled all of the next 4 days - Honolua Bay = A+, short walk, great reef, big so it handles a lot of folks; Ocean Rafting boat trip to Lanai the next morning= B, guides were great, boat ride was cool with turtles and dolphins, bad seas made the snorkeling not so good; Black Rock = B, pretty crowded, although we got pretty close to a big turtle accidentally; Ahihi Bay = A, easy in and out, lots of fish, nice reef

Other highlights were the slack key guitar show at the Napili Kai; the sunsets and apettizers and Dukes; all the walks and swims along the Kanappali beach.. we even enjoyed the weak $14 mai tais at the Grand Wailea... but only one each.

We're already talking about going back..

Enjoy!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report.... Maui from July 30 to Aug 6... Fri to Fri

I enjoyed reading your trip report. The camping aspect is not a common thing you read, but it sounds like, it was a great way to see Maui that most people staying in a traditional hotel don't. How was driving the vanagon on the road to Hana?

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report.... Maui from July 30 to Aug 6... Fri to Fri

Awesome !!! Here I was expecting the vanagan from he!! and you both had a great trip. I suppose anyone who is up for a 12 mile hike on vacation comes a little better prepared. Good tip on getting the permits ahead of time.

Modesto
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report.... Maui from July 30 to Aug 6... Fri to Fri

This was such a great read! Took me back to the late 70's and camping along Hwy 1 northern Calif coastline. This is so informative as said above for the simple reason as we don't see T/R's like this very often, and it puts a whole new twist on a Maui vacation. Did you happen to see the sunrises at the two spots along Hana Hwy, Waianapanapa and Oheo Gulch campgrounds? I'm wondering at what angle the sun is coming up from the horizon this time of year and which of the two, Waianapanapa further north, or Oheo Gulch, more south, would have more of a straight shot?? or maybe you weren't up that early?,,,from the sound of your T/R, you probably were!

Modesto
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report.... Maui from July 30 to Aug 6... Fri to Fri

Also,,,,next trip??

Are you planning the same type of variety, or did you prefer one or the other and will stick with one form of accommodations? Just curious.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,008 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report.... Maui from July 30 to Aug 6... Fri to Fri

It sounds as if you had at least as good a time (and maybe better) than folks who spend 3 times as much. Thanks for the interesting report.

oakland, ca
Level Contributor
67 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report.... Maui from July 30 to Aug 6... Fri to Fri

Thanks guys,

The van was perfect on the road to Hana, it's a slow car on a road where all you can do is drive slowly. Plus, we sat up higher than a typical sedan and there are lots of windows....great views.

Sunrise at Oheo Gulch was pretty awesome...lots of clouds, great light. It was not quite at the edge of land, but close. Didn't see the sunrise Wainapanapa - pretty heavy cloud cover - but the sun rose almost straight out to sea.

We've got some irons in the fire travel wise - Puerto Vallarta for Nov 1 Day of the Dead; skiing at whistler around xmas; Austria and Switzerland next summer. Thank goodness for Tripadvisor!

Mahalo

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,521 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report.... Maui from July 30 to Aug 6... Fri to Fri

Aloha,

I'm in agreement that your report is a different take and a fun read! So glad it worked out for you. I think your prior planning and exact knowledge of what you were booking/getting made a HUGE difference.

P.S.--Deedas, Waianapanapa is before Oheo, not beyond it!

Edited: 15 August 2010, 19:48
Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report.... Maui from July 30 to Aug 6... Fri to Fri

I love the variety of this report.

I too was expecting a nightmare VW van story but thankfully it didn't happen. And you don't often read about someone who spent their first night "near the top of the volcano"!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report.... Maui from July 30 to Aug 6... Fri to Fri

Camping is also available on Maui at not-so-out-the-way places. Papalaua Beach Park is about 10 miles south of Lahaina. The camping there is OK, I have been there many times, but there is no running water, so you have to look elsewhere for showers. Camping is also available near Kahului Airport at Kanaha Beach (spelling). There are cold water outside showers at this location. Both are County campgrounds and you need a permit. $5.00 a nite weekdays, $8.00 on weekends. Both campsites are closed two days per week, Papalaua closed on Wed and Thurs, Kanaha Beach closed on Mon and Tues. I have also camped at the Seven Pools location, very secluded and nice, although it rains alot in winter months. Last time I was there I paid $10 for a three nite parking permit (the camping is free). That was in Dec 2006. I have also 'camped' along Highway 30 in a couple of different unofficial locations in my rental car. So far noone (like the police) have bothered me, but I am not saying I recommend it!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,167 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report.... Maui from July 30 to Aug 6... Fri to Fri

Really enjoyed your report! I admit my camping days are far behind me...the closest I get now is Motel 6 before our early morning flight to Maui! Thanks for the update on a different approach to a Maui vacation!