We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui 8/11-21/10

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
459 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Maui 8/11-21/10

My wife and I were in Maui 8/11-21/10. Here's a recap of what we did that was different from our three previous trips:

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
459 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui 8/11-21/10

Parking at LAX: This changed after our 6/09 trip but we didn't know about it. You park at Lot C and it cost us about $133 total for a 11 day trip. We might get a shuttle next time for those prices.

Upcountry and Haleakela Sunrise- This was our first time staying in Upcountry and seeing the Haleakela Sunrise. Our reasoning for doing this at the beginning of the trip was that our body clock's(Pacific time) would make it easier to get up for our early adventure. We thought we had gotten up early enough but we just missed going to the top observation area. We ended up making the rocky hike up in the dark following a tour group with our own flashlight(more later) and arrived safely up top where we were already greeted with the beginnings of the wonderful colors to behold in this special place.

That is the reason you need to get up here early: The sunrise is only part of what is this neat experience. What happens before is special as well. We were above the clouds, it was partly cloudy and very windy. You really need to be prepared for the cold, which we were, but we were still cold! Additional items of clothing that were brought: Gloves, long-sleeved polyester underwear and bottom, knit caps, and wind-resistant outer clothing(jacket and pants). We also put our rash guards on, we had 'em with us why not use 'em, right? The wind is what made us cold the most and wreaked havoc on our pics that we took(no tripod). We just had a regular P&S digital camera but were able to get a few good shots that will adorn our wall. Make sure your batteries are fully charged and you are using an empty SD card because you will be taking A LOT of pictures. Know how to turn off your flash off before you go, too!

About that climb up in the dark: Walking down from the top is scarier than walking up in the dark!("We walked up THIS in the dark with one flashight?") You get to SEE what you actually climbed up. I thought it was insane for the people behind me to do it WITHOUT a flashlight! Make sure you have a GOOD flashlight with NEW batteries just in case you end up in the second parking area. My wife is not a hiker but made it up just fine with a few scrapes on her knee. Just take it slow and easy!

Eating- Oh my, did we eat this trip, but all was affordable, thank goodness. Our first bit of luck was passing a sign about a Tahitian dance festival(with food booths!). This was posted later in the Maui community calendar( a GREAT resource for local activities).

We scoped out the food booths and found a plate lunch for $11(lomi lomi salmon, loco(marinated tripe), chicken long rice, kalua pork(best my wife's tasted!), opihi(ocean rock snails), and a choice of poi or rice. We really lucked out and were able to try some authentic Hawaiian food for cheap. I ate my loco portion but passed on my wife's discarded portion. I ate some of her opihi, though!

Ulupalakua Ranch- We ate the Maui-grown beef burgers here but found them to be a little disappointing because the meat was extremely lean and the resulting burgers were kind of bland. They were out of the elk burgers We also caught a bit of attitude from the workers here. We liked the burgers at Cool Cat(Lahaina) better and have eaten at Johnny's in Kaanapali.

Huli-huli chicken(Kahului)- Saw a huge grill that some bikers had set up and bought some chicken for $8. We thought it was kinda small but it tasted good.

Da' Kitchen(Lahaina)- Have never eaten at this one before, went to see "Eat, Pray, Love" at the cinema there and it was downstairs, so why not? We both thought the food wasn't as good as the Kahului location. Some menu choices seemed to be missing. As always, a ton of food. And entertainment: A few annoying flies were buzzing around which caught the attention of a colorful local: A bright green gecko with a white stripe down its back. He called the koi pond and surrounding plants his home. We had fun watching our fearless friend jump off his perch(a wooden post) to our table and back. He was just interested in the flies, thank goodness and was a willing model for our many pics of him. We got lucky on parking: It was only supposed to be for three hours and our car was parked for four(movie/food) in the dirt lot a few blocks away. Do not park in the bus parking area or you will get ticketed(saw it happen).

Lahaina Farms Market- They share the same ad as Napili Market. Believe everything about their poke: It's delicious and there are a lot of varieties to choose from.

Grandma's Coffee- Ate breakfast but didn't drink any coffee. A real local place with flavor. Food was good.

Lunch at the cafe in Iao Valley(behind the gift shop)- Sorry, forgot the name. Food was good but keep an eye on your car: Nearby was a park with a lot of local kids hanging around. Maui-wowie was present.

Lappert's Ice Cream(Shops at Wailea Mall)- Upscale mall. Thank god only spent money here for ice cream(The wife was looking around at Na Hoku. Be nervous guys, very nervous!). Ice cream was excellent with a local flavor.

Napili/Kapalua Happy Hour Crawl(Thursday 3-10PM)- After looking around at the local offerings for happy hour, Thursday was the best day for this area: Merriman's(3-4:55)- The view here was unbelievable and their discounted mai-tai were very good. They weren't set up at 3 and we lost out on a primo spot because of it. We caught some attitude from the female bartender/server here, would have stayed for another drink otherwise. No discounts on food. Not crowded, don't forget to bring your camera. Did I mention the view?

Napili Kai(3-5)- Great location/view. $5 pupus, $6 drinks. Not crowded at all. Very good deal and food.

Pineapple Grill(5-10)- Nice view of the Kapalua golf course and West Maui mountains, limited view of the water. Their pupus menu was half-off but the drinks were full price.

We only did this from 3-6ish and took our time(3 drinks/person). We will definitely do this again if staying in this area. If you are not, be careful: The roads here can be narrow at times with limited views. Lots of people walking about.

Geste Shrimp Truck(Ocean side Kahului Beach Road, near boat launch: www.yelp.com/biz/geste-shrimp-truck-kahului Instead of our usual last meal at Paia Fish Market, we decided to eat here because of their Yelp review. Surprised there was no mention of it here at the forum. Friendly. Had a fun converstation with one of the workers and a local(brought some beer for the truck for closing). The worker's sister lived in the LA-suburb that I grew up. As they say, small world! Genereous $12 Shrimp plates(12 in a portion) made in various styles, large shrimp that are butterflied with the shells on. My wife and I shared a plate after eating at Cool Cat for lunch.

Very good and will go back, fo' sho!

I have posted about getting pineapples from Costco. This time they were out of the Maui Golds but had Hawaiian Grown Pineapples instead. Probably OK but we wanted to go for the Gold! Fortunately, there was a Whole Foods nearby which had the cheapest price and a case discount if over 25#! Cost? $23/8 pineapples. Recommended.

We were also saw online there was a 10# limit for free Hawaiian Airlines pineapplae check-in but we did our usual maneuver and checked our luggage at the curb, tipped the porter, and our 25# box was on its way to our home with us!

Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,842 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui 8/11-21/10

Thanks for a great trip report and for all the details! One comment begs the question though... on your west Maui pub crawl - was it "three drinks / person" per location?? ;-D

( p.s. Mammoth opening day is just around the corner! )

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
459 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui 8/11-21/10

No, just one drink/stop. Hey, I'm cheap!

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui 8/11-21/10

"No, just one drink/stop. Hey, I'm cheap!"

We went on a crawl on Front Street and wound up an Longhis eating Maine lobster! wow!!!

5. Re: Maui 8/11-21/10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 05:17