We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: I Think "Maui" is Hawaiian for "to Eat"

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,396 posts
Save Topic
TR: I Think "Maui" is Hawaiian for "to Eat"

"Maui"

(Andrews and Pukui)

verb.

1. To eat.

2. To eat constanly over a prolonged period.

3. To consume big food, little food, cheap food, expensive food.

From the neolithic Tahitian.

Had a wonderful, if brief, time as a tourist. With intense periods of contemplating relocation.

A short trip report to follow when I get a few moments to collect my thoughts.

But it is Aloha Friday, and I have a massage in 10 minutes (office perk) and lunch at the Pacific Club.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,929 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: I Think "Maui" is Hawaiian for "to Eat"

Amberloo ... my heart breaks for you!

So next time a poster asks which Island has better food ... Maui and Oahu will (at least) "tie" in your response? (I love the food on Maui!)

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,315 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: I Think "Maui" is Hawaiian for "to Eat"

My sister will love this post...I couldn't believe for a size 6 5'3" gal how much she ate in a week...

waiting for the TR....

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,825 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: TR: I Think "Maui" is Hawaiian for "to Eat"

Silence! One of the Hawaiian Gods has spoken. And later after he gets his ukulele rubbed he will send us a TR But it must be good and detailed as only a Hawaiian DE can do. He will share his 24 hour love of Maui with us. Listen, he knows of what he speaks. (Thanks for the money Amber!)

But, it will not include special moment involving Caddy, since I am on the mainland suffering 100 degree heat and no Pacific Ocean in site.

Did you actually get in the water Amberloo or were you eating the whole damn time? (That's what I would have done...bravo. The ocean will ALWAYS be threre!) LOL

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,792 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR: I Think "Maui" is Hawaiian for "to Eat"

So you would consider getting Re-Maui'd?

and as of today you are going through de-Maui withdrawal, and handling the deprivation by throwing the Oahu big guns at the forlorn hole known as the Maui'd Opu?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,762 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR: I Think "Maui" is Hawaiian for "to Eat"

And you didn't even get out of Central and South Maui this time, LOL!!!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
149 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR: I Think "Maui" is Hawaiian for "to Eat"

Yeah, kaukau is definitely on here. Had two friends from Cali here last week and we ate several meals together - man, that was way too much food.

Since then I've definitely been eating a whole lot less every day. Feeling a bit hungry is not a bad thing, either. LOL

Glad you enjoyed yourself at the feed trough.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR: I Think "Maui" is Hawaiian for "to Eat"

I will wait for your TR until your digestive system starts absorbing all those nutrients from your extensive maui-ing. This should be good.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: TR: I Think "Maui" is Hawaiian for "to Eat"

Yeah I've been watching my girlish figure the past few weeks, so I'll look good onthe beach in Oct. (no where near pink speedo level)

But once we get there all bets go out the window. I'm hoping to eat my way accross Maui.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR: I Think "Maui" is Hawaiian for "to Eat"

It is very interesting. We plan these glorious trips to Hawaii and so much of what we talk, write, and plan, involve where we will eat! For some reason, it is just so fun to plan out our food places. One thing is for sure, if you are going to Hawaii...you won't starve!

Anxious for the TR amberloo!

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,825 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: TR: I Think "Maui" is Hawaiian for "to Eat"

Amberloo's second hand TR dictated via fax over a stable land line to the mainland:

8:37 AM...arrived OGG...the smell of plumeria blooms was way too prevalent

8:42 AM...talked story with guys I know at OGG. Not like they had a job or anything...ah, the economy ya know.

8:52 AM...I picked up rental from Alamo...didn't see but one wimpy roach in the trunk. He didn't look that concerned. Neither was I.

9:13 AM...stopped at Walmart for souvenirs for Caddy....he's been asking for plumeria scented candles. (What's a local to do? The shipping cost is gonna kill me for sure.)

10:02 AM until 7:57 PM...The Feast at Lele....I ate and ate and ate. After a few hours I ate and then I ate. I was the only one there. :(

8:37 PM...After a few missing minutes, I attribute to a couple of strong Mai Tais, I was back in the saddle having desert.

8:47 PM...checked on Jaws Truck down at Big Beach. Wasn't able to buy...bunch of hoodlums causing trouble and asking for sunscreen. Is this is what Aloha is all about?

9:05 PM...finally checked into my fancy ocean view room at the GW. I seem to have misplaced my pool wristband. I believe I'll be able to locate it in the morning.

9:37 PM...Oh dear, my minibar is depleted....I'm calling 911. Man I am so hungry!

10:03 PM...jet lagged from Interisland flight from Oahu. "This time change is killing me".

Full trip report to follow.....Love, Amberloo

Edited: 28 August 2010, 05:43