We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report long - one week w/ Dh and 2 1/2 yr old

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
trip report long - one week w/ Dh and 2 1/2 yr old

Just got back from a week stay in Maui. I've been 2 other times and stayed in West Maui,

Sheraton and Westin Ocean Kaanapali

Villas . This time i got an amazing deal on the Fairmont so we stayed in Wailea.

Day 1 flew in on Sat with Continental and the flight was direct no problems. We got in late so we just got room service.

Day 2- did a bit of shopping at longs, for drink stuff and Foodland for snacks. Looked around kihei a bit then back to the hotel for pool/beach time. The fairmont was beautiful and wonderful on an amazing beach but the prices for everything were very steep. I am going to review my dining experiences separately.

We had some amazing dinners. Beaches we went to to were polo beach, makena beach and we headed to Kapulua one day . The best weather and beach time was Kapulua it was great for the little one and it was calm and clear. Makena was nice but it was rather cloudy the day we went. we did see the Kamaole Beaches but never spent the day there. I loved the beach also our Hotel was on a very nice small beach.

We also were on a paved walking path so we were able to walk behind all of the Wailea hotels which was very neat as one night we walked and we could see some of the Luaus going on..

Onto Dining:

Recommendations of TA- I tried coconuts fish cafe in kihei for lunch. I couldn't wait and we went back a 2nd time as it was soo good. I had the ono burger, Dh had the fish and chips and the next time we went we had the fish tacos. OMG everything was incredible including the fries :)!! definitely recommend this place. We were going to try Eskimo Candy but were afraid to risk being disappointed so just went back to Coconuts. The bill was a bit over 30 for the 3 of us Lil guy had kids fish and chips both times.

We also did lunch at the Gazebo. DH had pulled pork sammy that was very good and i had to try the pancakes super ym and it was not as busy at lunch time and yes amazing views.

We also did lunch at the Fairmont, super expensive and the food was soo soo. but they did have the amazing gelato in the cafe that i coudn't pass up.

For dinners we did Nicks fishmarket at Fairmont. service was good and food was good but not my favorite.

'

we did mamas it's always a repeat for us. but realize this is a pricey dinner even for the child's menu. the food was great but I had better this time around. they were out of opah which is my favorite fish so i opted for the ono which was very good.

Kimo's another favorite of mine I love opah and they have the best opah and prices not too bad.. it was very good

for our Anniversary dinner we went to Sarento's ! OMG this place was amazing. we had the best service I've ever had anywhere and we dine at some pretty nice places in LA and Vegas. this was just over the top. The food was incredible as well. Hubby had lambchops said were amazing and i had a seafood dish was soo good. the salads and breads were amazing too.

We also tried spago at the recommendation of someone staying at our hotel. Kids meals were only 9 dollars (cheaper than mama's 20 bucks a kid meal) the food was incredible here too.. i'd say it was one of my favorite meals it was very different and delicious even the bread was some of the best bread i 've had and service also top notch. worth every penny.

We also try Cafe O'Lei. I will say at first looking at the inside I was a bit skeptical but I knew TA would not let us down. The best prices and the most food and it was pretty good from the drinks to the dessert. I had the blackened mahi mahi very good and the bloodymary shrimp cocktail very good. The only thing I didn't like was child's chicken "fingers" and fries. was a bit greasy. but it was cheap and very good food..

what else, well not enough time to do all we wanted. Dh did some diving and saw a lot of fish, turtles etc..

I love the Wailea area now just as much as the west side that if we go back it'd be 2 weeks one week on each side. I love Kapulua bay the best and we love shopping in the town of Lahaina. but Wailea is beautiful and quiet and Love the town of kihei for some great local food and a different vibe.

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report long - one week w/ Dh and 2 1/2 yr old

oh forgot to mention our flight back, went smoothly but we got lucky. when i booked this through a certain travel site online i was told i was getting paper tickets (which is unheard of these days) and I had to fly through Mokulelele airlines and transfer my own bags to the Connection flight w/ Continental as they had no baggage contract w/ them. I ended up going w/ them anyways I was told not a big deal. However when we checked in a the airport the ticket agent w/ Mokulelele Airlines asked who we were flying w/ and when we said continental his jaw kind of dropped like oh no.. but TG we got to the airport early he got us on an earlier flight so we had lots of time in between time to get our luggage at baggage claim, shuttle to main terminal to start all over again checkin and security. it all went smoothly however it was a hassle to have to go back to checkin and w/ luggage and go through security a second time. it only took about 20 minutes and we had 2 hours to spare. I was very grateful we met and had some great agents that helped us.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report long - one week w/ Dh and 2 1/2 yr old

I remember all the posts and indecision about where to stay, but I don't recall Fairmont as even being in the mix! I'm glad that worked out for you. When you say you got an "amazing deal"... where did you find it? Their website? Agent? Bid site, such as Priceline? I hope you got a BIG savings on your airfare to compensate for not being able to check your luggage through on your flights. That would be a deal-breaker for me.

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report long - one week w/ Dh and 2 1/2 yr old

Yes i ended up going w/ the Fairmont as we found out they were offering their aloha package as they are starting renovations this after Sept 1st to their pools. it didn't affect our vacation at all, but the rates were at least 50-60% off and I figured what a great deal that I jumped on it.. It was a different experience than renting a condo which was our initial idea but for a bit more we got a very luxurious place..

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report long - one week w/ Dh and 2 1/2 yr old

Rose, so now when you see people asking where to stay, West or South, you'll have to say either. Glad you got to stay in Wailea and enjoy the quiet side.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report long - one week w/ Dh and 2 1/2 yr old

Welcome back Rose///glad you had a fabulous time...i didn't recall Fairmont being int he mix either...but a deal is a deal! So next time you go...where will you stay on the west and where on the south? just curious...

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report long - one week w/ Dh and 2 1/2 yr old

Sounds like you had a terrific vacation, and I'm glad you got to experience another part of the island. Now the next time you return you'll really hava a dilemma :-) Thanks for posting a great report!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report long - one week w/ Dh and 2 1/2 yr old

Thanks for the trip report, Rose. I'm with you, I love Kihei and Kapalua. Can't beat them anywhere!!

Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report long - one week w/ Dh and 2 1/2 yr old

Now that you have stayed at both the west and south sides of the island do you prefer one over the other? We always stay on the west side however will be splitting our next trip to a week west and a week south and I am concerned I might not like the south as much.

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report long - one week w/ Dh and 2 1/2 yr old

I like both sides now that IS the dilemma. I was thinking 2 weeks next time and stay one week in Wailea/or S.Kihei and the other week up towards Kaanapali,Kahana.DH doesn't want to have the hassle and move though.. Otherwise I don't know i guess it will depend on the deal.!! :)

I will say I have found that my vacations have to be at least 10 days . That was the only low point. WE traveled Sat-SAT and both days -saturdays were travel days which only left 6 days of real vacation time besides the fact also we had to pack on Friday night and also it took a day or so to get in the groove and all and jet lag.. I found my last vacation i took to Mexico we stayed for 10 days and it felt just perfect as much as i didn't want to go home i was also ready. this time and the time before we went to maui for 7 days and it just didn't seem long enough..

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report long - one week w/ Dh and 2 1/2 yr old

I agree Rose- a week is not enough, 10 days or 2 weeks is good I think. I too like both west & south for many reasons and next time, would want 5 nights at each side...when we're in the south, that puts you closer to the Na Koa Ikaika baseball games- that drive was too long from Kaanapali and we would have loved to have gone to more games, plus there's great beaches & restaurants on both sides...

What does the child's plate at Mama's consist of for $20?? I always debate on Mama's but I have 3 kids so that would be $60 for just them and I know my son would probably not want a kids plate and would want an adult meal!