We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Fares Are Insane!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Air Fares Are Insane!

Okay....this is a vent....you are warned!

It's been 10 years since my last trip to Maui but prior to that we've been lots of times. While putting together a trip for next summer, I've been more than dismayed to see what is being quoted for LAX-OGG. I see ticket prices of $1,000! HEY AIRLINES!! ARE YOU GUYS NUTS??? For our family of three, it's a fortune.

I am watching our entire vacation budget evaporate and seriously having to consider another destination. This is truly depressing as I was really looking forward to returning to our favorite island.....sigh...may have to paddle the surfboard towing my wife and daughter across the Pacific.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,624 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Fares Are Insane!

Rather than fly direct why not look for flights to HNL then interisland to OGG?

Yes prices are up, the low cost carriers are no longer in business, perhaps that is why, they went too low.

Also look on not flying Friday or Saturday, those flights tend to cost a bit more.

What airport and exact dates are you looking at btw?

Just a quick google showed US Air SNA - OGG (yeah it goes to Phoenix first) was $565 or LAX to OGG $659 for 7/1/2011 to 7/10./2011

Edited: 30 August 2010, 16:46
Socal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Fares Are Insane!

It's LAX-OGG. Looked up Hawaiian Air via HNL as well. They quote over 1K. Same time period, L.A. to Boston is less than $400 per ticket. And we just came back from Hilton Head, flying to Charlotte for under $500.

I know it's because the low cost carriers are gone and also the number of flights has been reduced. We used to be able to choose UA flights at 8, 10, 11 or 4. Now it's just about 2 a day. So the marketplace has certainly changed.

Just the same, it's a tough call.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Fares Are Insane!

your looking for prices a year out, a month and a half to two months out has been the cheapest.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,129 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Fares Are Insane!

It's WAY too early to be looking for flights for next summer. Sign up with the airlines for their e-mailed specials, also travelzoo.com and airfarewatchdog.com

At the end of July I got an email from travelzoo.com - United had non-stop flights from LAX (or SFO) to LIH or OGG for about $404.00 including fees & taxes for travel mid-August - end of November. Within 2 days, Delta & American followed on thier non-stop flights. Then Hawaiian at $382.00 total (change planes in HNL).

You need to be patient. Also, June & July are typically more since it's high summer season. Try looking for a Tues or Wed travel days.

The $404.00 flights I grabbed from Delta are the cheapest we've ever flown non-stop in the past 6 years.

3Chihuahuas

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,000 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Fares Are Insane!

Aloha,

Nes, don't book anything for next summer yet. Unlike the old days, the airlines now have the higher prices a longer time out.......then they sell some, drop prices here and there, test the market some more, raise them again, drop them again..........

Sign up for some of the fare watcher sites-like Orbitz, Kayak, etc. For next summer, I'd say you shouldn't book until around February or even March.

Try to avoid holidays like July 4th if you can.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Fares Are Insane!

what is your avatar a picture of cause someone complaining of airfare too has the same one picture? Weird.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,035 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Fares Are Insane!

AA has $450 flights to HNL from ORD -- even on the flight we've booked for January at about $1200! (We can't take the cheapies -- want to upgrade.)

nesdog -- Can't you find a cheapie to HNL plus a hop to OGG and come out ahead?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,624 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Fares Are Insane!

Yes the flights west coast to east coast are cheaper, the planes do not have to be ETOPS certified which makes them a lot less expensive to maintain.

As I said, check SNA (Orange County) airprot, it usually has lower fares than LAX.

What dates were you looking at? Summer takes in a lot of ground.

Edited: 30 August 2010, 17:16
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,933 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Fares Are Insane!

The prices are high now, on year out, hoping that people will book them.

I booked an LAX to HNL with an interisland to LIH four days later two weeks ago to travel this week and the fare was about $400 including taxes.

If the economy stays soft, and it looks like it might, prices should continue to drop the closer those months come.

Edited: 30 August 2010, 17:21
Socal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Fares Are Insane!

I'm trying to book early because I had enough mileage on UA for some, but not all, of our travel. If I wait several months to book it, I'm assuming that the award seats will be gone and then I'll be on the hook for 3 tickets at whatever the going rate is. Or do I have that wrong?

I don't mind going through HNL if we have to. Just like the old days before anybody flew direct to Maui anyway!