We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter Rental -- where to do it, and what company?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Scooter Rental -- where to do it, and what company?

We are in Maui at the end of September and want to rent a scooter for 4-5 hours and just putt around ... a different experience!

We are unsure which is the best area to rent in -- West Maui or South Maui? Can you easily drive between the two areas on a scooter?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on companies to rent from (keeping in mind that we're trying to spend as little money as possible!).

Kindest regards,

Marie.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
162 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter Rental -- where to do it, and what company?

Wow... I am not sure if we have scooter rentals.

As far as driving one between Lahaina side and Kihei, the road is busy, with being the main artery between all the resorts and the central valley. Many speedy vehicles, yes, there's a easement between the road and the guardrail, but I would not want to drive it in anything smaller than a small car. Scooters seem to have a rule of 'must be in the space to the right of the white line'.

I am sure others will correct me if I am in error.

Maluhia ~ Peace

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter Rental -- where to do it, and what company?

Don't recall any scooter rental places. I have seen a few locals using scooters in Lahaina but boy did it look dangerous on that narrow shouldar! Didn't look like a "fun" experience.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooter Rental -- where to do it, and what company?

We were thinking of this company: http://www.scoot4lessloot.com/

They are in Kihei ....... do u think it would be fun to scoot around there?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,873 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooter Rental -- where to do it, and what company?

I'm not sure about Maui but here on Oahu, you can't take a scooter anywhere where the speed limit is over 35mph. That would preclude you from driving a scooter between south Maui and Lahaina along the Honoapiilani Hwy. To me, driving a scooter around Kihei would not be my idea of fun.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scooter Rental -- where to do it, and what company?

Aloha,

Marie, I would NOT rec that you do this. Yes, they are available on both sides. They aren't street legal, and riding in the bike lane is prohibited, though people do it. There have been some bad accidents involving mopeds (the scooter cars are not as common so fewer accidents so far).

You would have to find places to lock them down, places to safely ride, etc, etc. You're already renting a car......use those wheels!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scooter Rental -- where to do it, and what company?

We don't want to rent a scooter car, just a regular 50cc scooter, like this: …ec21.com/image/…Scooter_50CC.jpg

These aren't legal to ride on the street? I have not been to Maui, but I have rented scooters in many cities before, including the one that I live in (Victoria, BC - Canada)... where people drive them all the time.

We weren't planning to do this as a way to 'get around'..but as something that might be fun to do for a few hours.

I just want to know if it would be better to do in Kihei or Lahaina... eg: things to do, places to see... and which place the road conditions might be easier to use one.

Thanks everyone for your patience with this one! :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scooter Rental -- where to do it, and what company?

Really Marie, what we are all saying is this would not be, in our collective opinion, a fun or safe activity on Maui! The roads just aren't set up for this, and as, sw said they are not "street legal" so I don't even know where one would ride them! Too many other fun things to spend your money on on Maui!

Sunset cruise anyone?!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,873 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scooter Rental -- where to do it, and what company?

I see mopeds and scooters going up and down Kihei Rd. all the time. There are a lot of places to rent them also. My suggestion to you, Marie is to contact a rental place and talk to them. If this is something you want to do, regardless of what we think, go ahead and do it!!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scooter Rental -- where to do it, and what company?

Make sure you are ready to pay a ticket if you get one.................and that they give you a really good cable lock and info on where it could be legally locked up........sorry-getting around on one because you have to get to work and you can't afford a car just isn't the same as a tourist who isn't familiar with the roads, Msfuzz.

Saw a couple of tourists on mopeds get pulled over the other day on the Pali. Gee, ya' think doing 25MPH in the traffic lane was a tipoff that they weren't concerned with the rules?!

Marie-near my house there have been several really bad accidents involving mopeds. They are hard to see and don't follow the law well (sorry if you do) and many drivers on Maui S***K!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scooter Rental -- where to do it, and what company?

Our kids' preschool teacher has a son who was going to college on Maui and had a nasty scooter accident that left him with an open fracture of his lower leg. Took him about 8 months to rehab enough to return to school. There are no cute roads to putt around on that are safe except for maybe South Kihei Rd and Lower Honoapiilani on the west side. But who wants to do that and then contend with the fast moving highway traffic. I wouldn't even recommend riding a bike either.