We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera thoughts for Maui

Indiana
Level Contributor
784 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Camera thoughts for Maui

Hi Everyone,

Our granddaughter is graduating HS in 2011 and wants a camera. With a little luck she is also going to Maui next summer. What thoughts does anyone have in regards to cameras,sites,etc.

We have been to Maui several times and just have a simple point/shoot. We were hoping to stay in the $1,000 range for the Camera & lens and were hoping there are some camera buffs here.

Also, with the internet today is it necessary once we narrow down our search to just a few cameras is it necessary to go somehere and put these cameras in our hands before purchasing.

Thanks in advance

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camera thoughts for Maui

I love my new Canon Rebel T2i.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camera thoughts for Maui

When you spend that much money for a camera, you are getting serious about your picture taking. This means you are spending time and effort learning how to use the capabilities that come with multiple lenses and exercising the increased capability you have. If that isn't your intent,stay with a point and shoot.

Good quality point and shoot cameras take great quality pictures. Paying $1000 for a camera will not guarantee a better picture. Great pictures have more to do with the skill, eye, and creativity of the photographer than the technological superiority of the camera. I do like the Canon D10 for its ability to go underwater.

Foe $1000' you can really get a nice Nikon or Canon system. I like these two since the lens options are so broad. These are readily available at lots of places. My favorite is Adorama (www.adorama.com) out of NY.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camera thoughts for Maui

For someone who is very serious about photography, one likely will be spending more than $1000 for camera and a couple of lenses. One option for about $1000, is to buy just the camera body (without the standard lens) and a versatile lens such as a superzoom (Canon 18-200) - this allows one to get some versatility without having to switch lenses. Not necessarily the best answer for everyone, just my 2 cents.

A great review site for cameras and lenses is:

dpreview.com

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
47,027 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camera thoughts for Maui

Aloha,

I'm curious.......is your granddaughter a serious photographer? If so, the recs are good ones. If she's not really "into" photography, maybe a lower end point and shoot-with a check for some activities on Maui? Your gift is really generous, please don't get me wrong. I'm just not clear whether she'd use the full capabilities of a high end system.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camera thoughts for Maui

I love both my Sony cameras. They came with great lenses.

However, I use my point and shoot, (Sony W230 I think it is) more often. It has a Carl Zeis lens and can take rapid fire pictures. 12 mp. Costs about a little over $200. You can order a waterproof body to go with it as an accessory.

My hubs has a Canon and I felt it's clumsy in comparison. I know, because I had my Sony stolen and bought one like his and took it back and got the same Sony that was stolen here in Oregon.

I like HP Image zone for editing. I don't do anything professional with my camera. I think it depends on whether your gift is for someone who is taking or will take classes in college on the dslr camera. They are heavy and I took both to Maui and used the small point and shoot and I think I got excellent pictures. It even takes short movies if you buy big enough media to hold them.

Then put the rest of the money into her trip. (last time that I looked, they had 14mp cameras.)

min

Edited: 06 September 2010, 20:18
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camera thoughts for Maui

Again, not sure if your granddaughter wants to get "involved" with a dslr camera with it's accompanying lens(es).

A good P/S camera with a 12/14 mp sensor might be the way to go.

Whatever the decision, go take a look at buydig.com. It's an online version of a b/m store. I've purchased about $6000 or better from them over the past several years. Great prices and fast shipping

Rex

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camera thoughts for Maui

I also am wondering if your granddaughter is into photography enough to go the digital SLR route. You know best on that. Here is another site with good camera reviews:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

I just got the Panasonic ZS7 and love it. It is pocket size, but with a 3"screen, 12 MP, and 12x optical zoom.

Also, is she going to snorkel? Then maybe a digital underwater camera might be a good choice. I got the Canon D10 for my Lana`i trip last winter and it worked great both above and below water.

I would certainly go to a camera review site for your best research. Also, newer and better cameras come out regularly, and the price of the good current ones come down regularly. So wait till next spring to do most of your research.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camera thoughts for Maui

If you have a Costco, they have good prices as well, and some come with the media card and case and charger. If she will take movies (like at a Luau, consider something in the range of 8k or better.

min

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camera thoughts for Maui

For the average person who's never had a DSLR, they could get into a Canon G11 or S95 or Panasonic LX5 for under 500 bucks and it'll likely be the most fabulous camera they've ever owned, and likely confuse the heck out of them will all the capabilities the cameras have. Someone mentioned water ealier, all of those cameras have underwater housings that'll do scuba depths available for a couple hundred bucks.

On DSLRs, there's so many options out there, including kits with a couple reasonably nice lenses, in that price range that most first time DSLR owners would be thrilled to have. Once again, there'd be a learning curve to even use a good chunk of the capabilities of those cameras. If the granddaughter has taken photography classes one of these types of cameras might be appropriate, otherwise it could be a bit overkill.

Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camera thoughts for Maui

Agree w/ previous posts regarding how in to photog she is. If she wants to give it a go than a Nikon or Canon DSLR kit w/ an 18-200 lens would be a very nice gift. For your price range I'd probably lean towards a Nikon D5000. I have a pretty strong preference for Nikon (I've owned numerous) but I think either will serve her well.

Here's a good site for you and her: http://www.kenrockwell.com/

No need to get your hands on it. Order from B&H (or Adorama or Abe's). Note that you'll probably want a US Warrantied version of whatever you get.

Photo opportunities on Maui are in abundance. Sunrise from Haleakela (along with moonscapes and other shots), Road to Hana's waterfalls and black sand beach, Gobs of vegetation everywhere (get someone to give her a micro-Nikor 85mm), surfers (where the 200 end of that 18-200 comes in handy), and sunset from Kaanapali. If she gets an unerwater camera or housing for a P&S then Black Rock is a great place as is the boat ramp on the south end of Wialea.

As others mentioned a good P&S is a good option. My wife, son, and I have gobs of dSLRs (and film SLRS!), lenses, filters, flashes, brackets, tripods, monopods, clampods, gorillapods, and a few just plain pods. We probably shoot more photos with our P&S's though. I like Olympus, they like Canon (S90 IS is the latest). Better P&S cameras take good pics and underwater housings for them won't break the bank (for my dSLR's they run about $7000 just for the housing). I never go anywhere without my Oly P&S.

Edited: 07 September 2010, 04:24