We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Iao Needle - worth seeing?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
'Iao Needle - worth seeing?

Should we plan on seeing the 'Iao Needle? Was thinking of going after watching the sunrise at the crater. If so, how long should it take to get from the crater to the 'Iao Needle and how long should we plan to stay and explore and 'Iao Valley?

Thanks!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,015 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Iao Needle - worth seeing?

It will probably take a couple of hours to get down the mountain and over to Iao Valley. One of my favorite places, btw!! Check out Kepaniwai Heritage Gardens at the entrance. Then go up the hill to the needle. How long will it take you? Just depends on how long you wish to explore!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,351 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Iao Needle - worth seeing?

Yes! It coolish and rainforest-ish. Take as long as you want, but most just have a short walk. I'd estimate an hour from the Halekala Crater, but --- stop for breakfast first!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Iao Needle - worth seeing?

The Iao Valley is one place that I always visit when on island. History aside, which is a passion of mine, I am always struck by the lush vegetation growing from seemingly solid rock, the beautiful stream and the coolness of the air.

It should take you about 1-1/2 - 2 hrs to get back from the summit and on to the Valley. You can spend anywhere from 10 minutes to two hrs there, depending.

I also recommend stopping at the cultural center just outside the entrance to the State Park. Ran by Maui County Parks, it pays tribute the four major Asian cultures that originally came to Maui as laborers.

Edited: 16 September 2010, 20:08
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,274 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Iao Needle - worth seeing?

Aloha,

It will take about 1 1/2 hours from the summit to the mouth of I'ao, if you drive straight thru. Or it can take several hours, if you stop and explore along the way down the mountain.

I'd consider going to the Cafe O Lei, down at the Dunes Golf Course, for a late breakfast. It's a great place and I like the people, service, food, and prices. Yes, some like Kula Lodge-I love the views and Curtis Wilson Cost's art gallery, but the food just doesn't impress me.......

After exploring I'ao, stop at the Bailey House Museum on your way down. It's the home of our County Historical Society, has lovely grounds and is a quaint museum with a great gift shop.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Iao Needle - worth seeing?

The Ioa Valley is such an exceptional place to visit. On your way down the slope of Haleakala after your visit to the crater, pull over and look at the West Maui Mountains. Then directly behind the city of Kahalui down below, you will be able to see a gap in the mountains, The Ioa Valley.

Have a great trip!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Iao Needle - worth seeing?

You will want to take some of that warm clothing you wore on Haleakala. It's not cold-cold, but cool-ER up in the mist. Take insect repellent, too.

This is a neglected 'must-see' in my book.

Chicago
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Iao Needle - worth seeing?

You could also spend an additional 1-2 hours hiking the "Maui Tablelands" trail. It begins at the Iao Lookout which is at the top of the roughly 130 stairs to get up there. It is a trail that gives you some great vistas of the Iao Valley and back down to Wailuku. You also get some side views of the needle where it no longer looks like a needle but rather a ridge. The hike is described in some detail in the "Maui Trailblazer" guidebook.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Iao Needle - worth seeing?

Just be aware that the Bailey Museum and the cultural center are closed on Sundays. We found that out when we drove there - oh well. The Iao Needle is kinda cool to see though.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 'Iao Needle - worth seeing?

Aloha WowieMaui :)

YES! Iao is so worth a visit. I don't know how long it will take you to get there from the Haleakala summit. I did those on two separate days.

There is a little look out point on the way into Iao Valley, and it's called "Changing Profile Valley", or something like that. Anywho, there is a huge black lava rock, with JFK's profile. The "legend" is that the profile would change when there is a new chief/ruler. I think it's still JFK, though. You don't have to hike to see it, it's right off the side of the road, looking to the right as you enter the valley. But you do have to stop to see it.

And as mentioned earlier, bring bug repellant. Some folks are not bothered by the mosquitos, but I have come away with bites every time, some so large they make my arms look really buff.

jc

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 'Iao Needle - worth seeing?

On my list, Iao is definitely worth it. It's a place of incredible beauty and there is a feeling in the air that I find peaceful and soothing.

Agree with msfuzz - stop at Kepaniwai park, often overlooked and again worth a stop.