We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique excursion with 9 yr old boy

so cal
Level Contributor
33 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Unique excursion with 9 yr old boy

Hi,

We are looking for unique excursion on Maui. We will be in Kaanapali at the end of October. We have already been to Haleakala and did several boat trips even during whale season including snorkeling. We also went to Surfing Goat Dairy and Makawao.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,934 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique excursion with 9 yr old boy

What is he in to?!! Is he old enough for a zip-line? Para-sailing? How about the Maui Ocean Center or the Humpback Whale Sanctuary in Kihei? Hiking? boogie boarding? Surfing or stand up paddling? Horseback riding?

so cal
Level Contributor
33 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique excursion with 9 yr old boy

He is not quite heavy enough or old enough for zip line. He loves hiking. We have visited the Maui Ocean Center before...never been horseback riding. He is not the greatest swimmer, but likes boogie boarding. Thx.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique excursion with 9 yr old boy

If he enjoys hiking, consider the Kapalua hiking trails. The coastal trails gets out on to some great rock formations and the village trailsget up on the mountainside on the old village golf course that was abandoned 5 or 6 years ago. There's a nice lake to reward a hike to the top.

The center of Napili Bay typically has some nice boogie boarding and skim boarding. And there are usually a lot of kids that age there enjoying those waves.

Also in Napili is a place called Ironwoods Ranch where you can go horseback riding. http://www.ironwoodranch.com/

I mention that one because it is close to where you are staying. Mendes Ranch on the north shore west of Wailuku and Piiholo Ranch, upcountry near Makawao also consistently get great reviews from riders. They'll both require a bit of driving to get to from Ka'anapali. So a google search on Maui Horseback Riding and you will find a half dozen or so options to choose from.

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique excursion with 9 yr old boy

I'll just throw this out there because my boys enjoyed it..the Atlantis Submarine.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unique excursion with 9 yr old boy

You took the words right out of my mouth.

min

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unique excursion with 9 yr old boy

Do the Blue Water Rafting trip

He'll have fun

so cal
Level Contributor
33 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unique excursion with 9 yr old boy

I just checked the Atlantis and they have a Maui value pass that includes Plantation tour, Maui Ocean Center, Atlantis, and Bailey House for $100 adult and $50 for child. It seems strange especially if you book Atlantis on its own it is $89adult and $40 for child. I remember the Maui Ocean center being more than $10 for a child.

Thanks for these great ideas!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,434 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unique excursion with 9 yr old boy

Does anyone know if they are still offering the night-time tidepool exploration? That sounded really fun! My 11/13 yr old grands are just happy to be in the water! Ocean-pool-FOOD-ocean-pool-FOOD! YA get the picture! It's why we love a condo! Have you done a sunset sail? My guys LOVE them! Being out on the water and able to eat their fill of pupus followed by Hula Pie at Lelaini's is always a winner!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unique excursion with 9 yr old boy

For a change of pace, visit a couple of the small museums. The Sugar Museum and Bailey House make it interesting for kids to learn a bit of history by having a "find this" game. Mine also enjoyed the tram ride through Maui Tropical Plantation where they do show and tell about crops grown in Hawaii.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unique excursion with 9 yr old boy

Pacific Whale Foundation does the once/twice a month tidepool exploration at the north end of Keawakapu beach. Check there monthly calendar. They really only offer it on one or two days out of the month. You bring a flashlight or two and sturdy shoes. The naturalists bring buckets to closely check out interesting creatures and then put them back in their homes. Our kids did this at age 9 and almost 7 and loved it.

pacificwhale.org/mauiecocruises/cruise.php…