We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secluded beach to propose in Maui?

Bakersfield...
5 posts
Save Topic
Secluded beach to propose in Maui?

I'm going to Maui next week and am going to propose. It's kind of cliche, but how can I pass up a chance in Hawaii? My plan is to spend the late afternoon enjoying the beach and then have a beach picnic and pop the question while we watch the sunset. I obviously want to find the perfect beach for it,

What I'm looking for is a gorgeous secluded beach that doesn't have anyone or any buildings around so it feels like we are by ourself. It also obviously needs to be on the west side so we can see the sunset. There may be other things that may rule out some beaches too that I wouldn't know about (crime, cold breeze, lots of bugs, etc). We don't mind walking if we can walk far enough to get away from the people or something. But ideally, I'd like a seculded cove or something that we'd most likely have all to ourself.

The beach that sounded best so far is Kam II, but I really don't know. Thanks for the help!

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secluded beach to propose in Maui?

hi bob,

no buildings and seclusion might be a bit of a tall order, but i do have a suggestion. kapalua bay has a beautiful beach on the west side and is a perfect location to watch the sunset. there are lower buildings in the background and wouldn't call it completely secluded. a couple weddings might be taking place at sunset. in my opinion, that could be a great backdrop for a proposal.

my wife and i were married there last october ....it couldnt have been better....watching the sunset as we said our vows....topped off with a couple rainbows right above us....picture perfect!

good luck and congrats!

Lombard, IL
Level Contributor
790 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secluded beach to propose in Maui?

It's down by Makena in South Maui. No buildings but no guarantee on people. Friends did a renewal there just over a year ago. I think there were 6 others in a group at the other end. Google it.

poolenalena beach

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secluded beach to propose in Maui?

You are a class act Bob

Between Kapalua Bay and Fleming Beach there is a beach that will offer you the seclusion you are looking for. Park near the Ironwoods(just south of the Doctors on call office) and go down the stairs. People might be walking up on the bluff above the beach, but you should have most if not all of the beach alone.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secluded beach to propose in Maui?

Here's a great photo of Oneloa Beach (sometimes called Ironwoods beach) that Missika mentioned above.

www.nwhikers.net/forums/download.php…

In the West Maui area it's about the only beach I can think of that meets your requirements. It's one of my favorite places to go for that "I've got the place to myself" feeling.

By the way - don't confuse this with the Oneloa Beach in South Maui, also called Big Beach which can be very crowded.

Edited: 01 October 2010, 22:33
Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secluded beach to propose in Maui?

Another vote for Po'olenalena beach

But where will you be staying? I think you want to do it close to your place of stay.

Bakersfield...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Secluded beach to propose in Maui?

Thanks for the suggestions. I know it's going to be hard to find an empty beach anywhere. I'm hoping that if we go to one of the beaches that aren't really popular, any people that are there will leave around dinner time and it'll be more private as the sun sets. But to make things worse, I'm going to have to do it on Sat or Sun, so that's not gonna help for avoiding crowds.

Maybe I can make a short list of options and go scout them out the day before or something. As a general rule, are the South Maui or West Maui beaches busier? Or are they all pretty much developed?

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Secluded beach to propose in Maui?

Wow, what a beautiful picture VCSnowbird thanks for sharing it :)

So I would guess you're looking South and Kapalua bay must be right around that outcrop. I love the area but have missed this beach. i'll check it out Thanksgiving week.

I'd vote for that place too very romantic though I know depending on the time of year the sun can set behind Molokai. Don't know how it would be aligned next week :)

Dave

Bakersfield...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Secluded beach to propose in Maui?

Actually we haven't booked a place yet. Hawaii wasn't part of the plan until last week. My friend has standby passes that he gave me to take her, so it's all coming together at the last minute. That's part of the reason I'm asking, so we can choose where to stay. I'm open to suggestions for that too, but neither one of us likes big hotels or resorts. Our goal will be to find a little, locally owned place or a condo to rent.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secluded beach to propose in Maui?

bob,

i know i sound like a broken record on this, cuz i always recommend it, but i'd check out www.mauikai.com a small condo complex in the honokowai area (just north of ka'anapali). they have a smaller pool, but incredible ocean views from every unit, it's RIGHT ON the beach and very, very reasonable. if you choose west maui to propose, maui kai is just a hop, skip and jump from the kapalua area. there are also good restaurants in the area....the ka'anapali beach club is easy walking distance as well as duke's.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Secluded beach to propose in Maui?

Kealia Beach...

Maui's longest strand, almost always nearly deserted, absolutely no proximate buildings. Beautiful with a desolate feel even though it is close to Kihei and Maalaea.

Just pull of the highway in front of the Kealia Pond Preserve area into one of the parking cut-outs among the trees.

(Also called by locals in the know 'Rambo's Backyard")