We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valet parking and car rental

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Valet parking and car rental

We have booked a car and registered my husband and myself as drivers. What about valets? The car rental agreement prohibits additional drivers, but does this apply to valets at hotel parking lots?

I am just worried about insurance and damages. We have car insurance which covers all of the usual insurance that rental car companies try to add (we just waive it all), but what happens if the valet damages the car?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,066 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valet parking and car rental

This is actually a good universal question ... no matter where you are traveling. This is a guess on my part, but I would say that the hotel, restaurant or other valet employer would be liable. That said, I am interested in the comments of others.

Some of the other posters from Canada mention an add-on to their car insurance for driving outside of the country. It that was you use?

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valet parking and car rental

I would imagine that it's OK for people like valets to drive the car. Now if they get into an accident or they hit something while driving/parking the car, that's a good question as to who's liable.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valet parking and car rental

When I buy my car insurance I pay a bit extra for Roadside Plus coverage which includes Rental Vehicle Coverage: $2 Million 3rd party liability, collision and comprehensive coverage ($300 deductible) accident benefits, loss of use and underinsured motorist protection. We have rented cars many times but rarely used valets.

We are staying at the KBH and have been informed that the parking is tight. As valet parking is $2 more per day, I thought it might be worth it to ensure that we get parking without the hassle, but now I am worrying that valet parking may void my insurance or rental car agreement.

I am going to call my car insurance agent and ask...

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,066 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valet parking and car rental

Also ask if they will cover you in the U.S .. or anywhere outside of Canada. (Or are you in Vancouver, WA?)

California
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valet parking and car rental

Just wondering, as long as both my spouse and I are fully covered by our own insurance back home, what could the rental company do if I allowed my spouse to drive and she damaged the car? My own insurance is going to cover the damage either way.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valet parking and car rental

I had some friends who worked as valets and I am pretty sure the valet company and/or the valet themselves were responsible for any damage they did ... I remember there was one incident (cant remember what but minor) where one friend was whisked off for a drug test and who knows what else b/c a car he was valeting got scratched or hit or something.

Anyway -- I never really thought of it but in a resort area, I am pretty sure they'd specifically tell you "no valet" if they didn't want you valeting the car.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,066 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valet parking and car rental

<<Just wondering, as long as both my spouse and I are fully covered by our own insurance back home, what could the rental company do if I allowed my spouse to drive and she damaged the car? My own insurance is going to cover the damage either way.>>

Clint, my experience has been that, when picking up the car, the rental company wants to see the licenses of whoever will be driving. But not all companies do that, so I hear. It's the term "fully cover" that I wonder about ... and the general advice here on TA seems to be that one should check directly with his/her insurance company about the scope of that coverage for rentals. The car rental agency (of course) wants you to buy their extra coverage ... but many of us have that extra coverage as a benefit on our credit card ... if we use it for the rental transaction. If you call your credit card company (the phone number on the bill) they should be able to tell you ... AND send you something in writing.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valet parking and car rental

Called my insurance company and they basically confirmed that I am fully covered, worldwide, as long as the rental rate doesn't exceed $100/day (ie, no exotic car rentals). My deductible is $300 so if I forego the extra car insurance offered by the car rental company and there is a small scratch or ding, then I might have to pay. I was told that most hotels have "garage coverage" which means that if the valet damaged the car, I might have to pay the rental car company for the first $300, my insurance would coverage the extra, and that I would eventually get a refund from the hotel's insurer. If I decide to buy the extra insurance from the car rental place, then I am buying coverage with a zero deductible (but it is very expensive per day). So it is a roll of the dice...

One thing that I do know, from renting cars before, is that it is very important to do a full inspection of the car you are renting, making note of every dent, scratch, nick, etc. I had a horrible experience in LA trying to get the rental guy to sign off on a big bumper scrape when I picked up the car. He kept shrugging and saying it was normal, but I persisted and got him to acknowledge the prerental damage. Was I ever happy when I returned the car because the damage was quickly pointed out and I was able to show my rental documents and say "not me!"

And holidays are supposed to be stress free!

9. Re: Valet parking and car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2011, 06:17